Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

16 Questions
Quote | Reply
Are we really headed for an American cultural transformation? This researcher thinks so, after getting survey results on the following statements.

To what extent do you think that the following should be done to address structural barriers to race and gender equality in America?
  1. Rebalance the history taught in schools until its voices and subjects reflect the demographics of the population and heritage of Native people and citizens of color
  2. Move, after public consultation, to a new American anthem that better reflects our diversity as a people
  3. Rename our cities and towns until they match the demographics of the population
  4. Rebalance the art shown in museums across the country until an analysis of content shows that it reflects the demography of the population and perspective of Native people and citizens of color
  5. Move, after an open public process, to a new name for our country that better reflects the contributions of Native Americans and our diversity as a people
  6. Rename our states until they better reflect the heritage of Native people and citizens of color
  7. Gradually replace many older public buildings with new structures that don’t perpetuate a Eurocentric order, until a more representative public space is achieved
  8. Respectfully remove the monument to four white male presidents at Mount Rushmore, as they presided over the conquest of Native people and repression of women and minorities
  9. Allow our public parks to return to their natural state, before a European sense of order was imposed upon them
  10. Move, after public consultation, to a new American flag that better reflects our diversity as a people
  11. Consider adopting a new national language, that will be forged from the immigrant and Native linguistic diversity of this country’s past
  12. Remove existing statues of white men from public spaces until the stock of statues matches the demographics of the population
  13. Gently remodel the statue of liberty to make it better reflect the diversity of America
  14. Rename our streets and neighbourhoods until they match the demographics of the population
  15. Move, after public consultation, to a new American constitution that better reflects our diversity as a people
  16. Begin changing the layout of our cities, towns, and highways, moving away from the grid system to follow the more natural trails originally used by Native people

The author's analysis does include a couple of bar graphs for the TL;DR crowd.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Questions [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
getting survey results

Where they accepted self described "liberal" and "very liberal' and tossed out all the "centrist" and "conservative" responses.

Makes me wonder how seriously all those "after public consultation" phrases are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband wrote a questionnaire for me today with 48 questions! I actually answered them, but I had to cut and paste. Then he gave me his opinion on my answers. As if I wanted his opinion! There’s no way I’m answering more questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am dumber for having read that.

N=674 (May 7th) and 196 (June 15th) before exclusions due to ideology and neutrality. Graph excludes centrists and conservatives, as well as those who neither agreed nor disagreed with the statements. N on chart reflects variation in number of respondents by question.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Questions [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

N=674 (May 7th) and 196 (June 15th) before exclusions due to ideology and neutrality. Graph excludes centrists and conservatives, as well as those who neither agreed nor disagreed with the statements. N on chart reflects variation in number of respondents by question.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this a recent survey?? seems more to be about Native North Americans, then about other issues going on in the US.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of questions here and each of them can be a topic of a very broad conversation. I have thought about answers to all of them but honestly, I just can't be bothered to write them all and then engage into an often pointless arguments/talks etc. I enjoy a good conversation about current topics but there are just way too many ways for it to go sideways and turn ugly here. If you want a PM conversation, sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's going to be really easy to agree on a lot of those points. We should have this all wrapped up in no time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

It is a little interesting to see what the most liberal people agree and disagree on, but it would have also been nice to see EVERYONE else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Begin changing the layout of our cities, towns, and highways, moving away from the grid system to follow the more natural trails originally used by Native people
Said no one who has ever lived in New England.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried to read the article. Way too long to read lost interest after a few paragraphs. Is the guy actually serious? Yes we need to address problems with racism. No, repudiating our Western "Eurocentric heritage" is not the solution. The degree of freedoms and tolerance in our imperfect current situation is very rare in human history.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: spockwaslen: Jul 1, 20 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:

1. Rebalance the history taught in schools until its voices and subjects reflect the demographics of the population and heritage of Native people and citizens of color Indifferent so long as we are clear that children should not pay for the sins of their parents.
  2. Move, after public consultation, to a new American anthem that better reflects our diversity as a people No
  3. Rename our cities and towns until they match the demographics of the population No and if you're going to rename them go with a numerical grid system.
  4. Rebalance the art shown in museums across the country until an analysis of content shows that it reflects the demography of the population and perspective of Native people and citizens of color That's the prerogative of museums.
  5. Move, after an open public process, to a new name for our country that better reflects the contributions of Native Americans and our diversity as a people NO
  6. Rename our states until they better reflect the heritage of Native people and citizens of color NO, chances are >99% of the population doesn't know the genesis of any of the state names. Leave them be.
  7. Gradually replace many older public buildings with new structures that don’t perpetuate a Eurocentric order, until a more representative public space is achieved NO, are you kidding me? Do people really think the architecture of city hall is repressive? I'm sorry, these are intellectuals just trying to be important at this point.
  8. Respectfully remove the monument to four white male presidents at Mount Rushmore, as they presided over the conquest of Native people and repression of women and minorities Indifferent
  9. Allow our public parks to return to their natural state, before a European sense of order was imposed upon them No, people like parks in their current configurations.
  10. Move, after public consultation, to a new American flag that better reflects our diversity as a people No, there is absolutely nothing racist or offensive about our current flag.
  11. Consider adopting a new national language, that will be forged from the immigrant and Native linguistic diversity of this country’s past No, there is no national language. It's in the constitution that there is no national language let people speak what they want to speak.
  12. Remove existing statues of white men from public spaces until the stock of statues matches the demographics of the population How about we let towns and cities decide democratically what statues they want and what statues they don't want?
  13. Gently remodel the statue of liberty to make it better reflect the diversity of America It's a woman with no given color holding a torch and a slab. What on earth is offensive or exclusive about that?
  14. Rename our streets and neighbourhoods until they match the demographics of the population No, if you're going to rename the streets go with a logical grid system like what they have in Japan.
  15. Move, after public consultation, to a new American constitution that better reflects our diversity as a people No, our Constitution is fine just the way it is.
  16. Begin changing the layout of our cities, towns, and highways, moving away from the grid system to follow the more natural trails originally used by Native people No, grids work for a reason.

I do not have a high opinion of the person who crafted those questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

This.

Honestly, the bold portion is what people should focus on. That's the antithesis of diversity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look forward to stumbling around in the woods speaking Esperanto.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Questions [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
j p o wrote:

This.

Honestly, the bold portion is what people should focus on. That's the antithesis of diversity.

The key part is he didn't even find out what liberals thought. Just those liberals who gave an definite answer. So you hear a goofy question that you have never heard of or thought of before and say, "I'm not sure, that sounds kind of whacky." Not counted.

Essentially he only counted those people who will agree with any damn thing thrown out there no matter how unrealistic it is.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
j p o wrote:

This.

The key part is he didn't even find out what liberals thought. Just those liberals who gave an definite answer. So you hear a goofy question that you have never heard of or thought of before and say, "I'm not sure, that sounds kind of whacky." Not counted.

Essentially he only counted those people who will agree with any damn thing thrown out there no matter how unrealistic it is.

Many people are extremely uncomfortable with simply replying "I don't know" when they truly don't know or really haven't formed a true opinion. Couple that with the fact (or at least my suspicion) that many of those same people will likely answer in a way that is consistent with where they think the survey is headed, especially when the questions are ambiguous or complex, and I don't think you'll get accurate results. I wonder what the results would be if the questions were were less politically charged and didn't use typical "liberal" buzzwords. I think a lot of people view diversity as a generally good thing, so when you add the word to the question, you possibly provoke a positive impression, which is more likely to lead to a "yes" answer. (Example: I hate the national anthem -- it's difficult to sing. Is diversity my concern about it? No. But do I want one that more poorly reflects our diversity? No. So a yes answer there doesn't mean that I'm woke.)

I also wonder what the results would be if responds were encouraged to do some critical thinking before answering. What if they were asked to first list three pros and three cons before responding? Would that change the results? I suspect it would help ensure that the responses truly reflected what people believed. At a minimum, it would help respondents properly analyze each question before answering.

By excluding those that didn't immediately provide a definite answer, you're excluding those you are more likely to actually think through the questions.

I'd also want to know how many didn't answer each question. I get excluding moderates and conservative, as the goal here seems to be to analyze the left. But if the percentage of people who self identify as liberal or very liberal that didn't respond to certain questions is significant, then I wonder how much this really says about the left.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Questions [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I do not have a high opinion of the person who crafted those questions.

The article I linked was labeled as a "long read," but I was curious how folks here would respond to the 16 questions. For those that read the article, the author described the questions as "outlandish" (I thought several could have found their way into a Monty Python sketch). They were a deliberate attempt to see just how far left certain parts of American society would be willing to go to delete our national history.

As one commenter noted, survey respondents may have come to the conclusion that the more woke the question was, then it must be the right answer. That behaviour is perhaps as concerning as people honestly answering the questions in the affirmative.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply