Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Barcelona
Quote | Reply
What's your experience of IM Barcelona? Is it a draft fest as much as some say it is or has this improved in terms of a draft fest?
What's your experience of the race? I have done the 70.3 there but not the full. Id be interested in people's views as I do hear that the bike is a big rolling pack
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no done it myself but I am constantly told it's a draft fest and you seem some ridiculous times on the bike which are completely not credible. Good race if you like to tell people you have done an Ironman (very flat and fast bike and run so an "easy" one) but certainly not good for somebody who is competitive and looks at the ranking as a fair reflection of ability.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it last year, yes there were some stupid packs, but not as bad as I had been lead to believe - it was entirely possible to ride clean, although I admit some frustration when one of the packs came rolling past - but on the bright side the motos were handing our red and yellow cards like candy and you get to mark a couple of targets to hunt down on the run and curse out :)

Overall I had a fantastic day, first ironman so was looking for somewhere to take my family on a mini holiday with a race at the start. Great organisation, pretty scenery, the swim was lovely.

Its a great course in a lovely part of the world. In fact I have just convinced myself to go back next year :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it in 2018 and yes it was a draft fest. Plenty of penalties handed out but majority unpunished.

There are some pros to the race through. Nice sea swim, bike surface is great and a flat run so if chasing a good time its a great course but the packs will frustrate you. You will look at some people bike splits and scratch your head.
The location is very family friendly. Brought the gang along and made a mini holiday out of it. Family could have a drink or bite to eat near run route so you got to see them a few times. Stayed a few km away from race venue so didn't get immersed in everyone's constant race take which meant pools were nice and quiet.
Plenty of lovely places to eat out

My only other previous full IM was Copenhagen and found this a far more enjoyable race experience.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Barcelona [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.
Yes location and timing are both good.
Glad to hear some positives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first ironman distance race there a while ago.
The swim is fantastic.
I saw packs on the bike but didn't really care.
Quote Reply