Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd
Quote | Reply
I own a Crockett in pretty good shape. It's a canti brake model. The last year before they went disc brake. The blue with pink accents one. I have it setup 1x 10spd, Shimano 5700 shifters, crank, RD.

When I re-cabled it, i sensed trouble seeing rust and stuff in the shifter. I cleaned it best I could and recabled the bike. That shifter just does not act right anymore. Probably a combo of age, use, and degradation.

I just wonder what the cutoff here is for stupid on going to 11spd for the $175 more in all the parts I would need versus keeping it 10spd. OR...........ditching it altogether and going with a used disc brake 11spd bike.

The 10spd is fine as-is if the shifter worked.

If I look at the opportunity cost here to "upgrade" I could toss that $200 for 11spd plus the sale of the bike into getting a used 11spd disc-brake bike of some kind. I'm not a brand or alum/carbon snob. It WILL be crashed several times a year in racing, so, yeah.

Any opinions or advice? Anybody with easy tricks to fix that shifter? Is Tiagra still 10spd to try a new right shift from that?
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might be difficult to find a current shifter with the same pull ratio as 5700 Ultegra. A friend of mine has a bad rear derailleur and is dealing with backward-compatibility issues with a 5-year old SRAM setup. I would hope you wouldn't have that problem with Shimano . . . but I wouldn't bet that you wouldn't.

I place a lot of value on braking. I'd go find a disc brake bike in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure you can find an exact replacement shifter or shifters used, or maybe even new, on ebay.

Worth a shot.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I am sure you can find an exact replacement shifter or shifters used, or maybe even new, on ebay.

Worth a shot.

I have seen them. It's the cost dilemma. They're usually about $100 to $120 shipped. Seems crap to spend that versus going 11spd, or selling all together and going disc.

I wish the frameset had the rear boss for discs. If so, I'd just get a new fork and upgrade to disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really?
That much even for used?

Well, if the bike is just 1x, to go to 11 speed, you just need a cassette, a chain, a RD, and one shifter ... you don't necessarily need new wheels (upgrade options for wheels here).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your wheels 11-speed compatible? That would push the price of changing over up pretty significantly pretty quickly.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Are your wheels 11-speed compatible? That would push the price of changing over up pretty significantly pretty quickly.

Fredly nails It here. And why I'm still rocking everything from 8 speed to 11 speed in my fleet.

But you mention that the shifting isn't right since recabling and my bet is that your solution is really likely to be down to that re-cabling, and so be either free or $30 to sort. I've got one really really ancient 9 speed shifter on my old road bike that has reached the end of it's life after over 100,000km. But otherwise outside of crashes shifters are pretty reliable.

So specific checks:-
1) You included a termination cap on the end of the outer where it goes into the shifter.
2) You put a termination cap on the bit where it goes into the mech.
3) You got the routing right under the BB (assuming that's the route on the cross bike, and not over the top). Specifically if it's a plastic guide under the BB
4) You didn't get a fray in the inner cable as you were pushing it through the outer. If so new inner.
5) If you kept the outers then to be fair if they were rusty then you may be able to rescue with some wd40/oil flush but in reality it's new outer time.
6) You installed, then after a few weeks use you will need to re-tension to account for the initial stretch. Should then be fine for a year or two.

Sorry if the above are teaching to suck eggs.
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was for new. I didn’t want to buy used shifters likely to get the same problems again soon.

Wheelset is 11spd already.

Also, any work is all on me. I am handy. I am the guy who fabricated a replacement Felt DA fork bracket to run a normal stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I own a Crockett in pretty good shape. It's a canti brake model. The last year before they went disc brake. The blue with pink accents one. I have it setup 1x 10spd, Shimano 5700 shifters, crank, RD.

When I re-cabled it, i sensed trouble seeing rust and stuff in the shifter. I cleaned it best I could and recabled the bike. That shifter just does not act right anymore. Probably a combo of age, use, and degradation.

I just wonder what the cutoff here is for stupid on going to 11spd for the $175 more in all the parts I would need versus keeping it 10spd. OR...........ditching it altogether and going with a used disc brake 11spd bike.

The 10spd is fine as-is if the shifter worked.

If I look at the opportunity cost here to "upgrade" I could toss that $200 for 11spd plus the sale of the bike into getting a used 11spd disc-brake bike of some kind. I'm not a brand or alum/carbon snob. It WILL be crashed several times a year in racing, so, yeah.

Any opinions or advice? Anybody with easy tricks to fix that shifter? Is Tiagra still 10spd to try a new right shift from that?

Two quick thoughts.

1) I have 5700 105 on two bikes and a common issue with the shifter is that is causes cables to fray and then explode. If you don't catch it early enough you can end up with bits of cable littered inside the shifter and these will rust. If you pull back the hoods a bit more you can access a port on the inside of the shifter held on by a screw. Open this up and blast it with WD-40. You may be able to clear out any bits of cable hanging around. There is not a whole lot else that will visibly rust within these sifters unless you really went to town taking them apart as nearly all the readily visible parts are plastic. If this doesn't work I have had good luck buying crash 'damaged' shifters for cheap. People don't like beat up/scratched shifters but they work just fine in my experience.

2) This is the hottest market I have ever seen for used bikes of this type. I would sell it and upgrade. Literally just sold a Scott CX Comp that was also last generation canti and 10 spd 105 for 50% of what I paid for it (new from an LBS in 2012). It had seen a hard life of commuting and racing and was in need of new wheels. It was sitting waiting for me to spend money on the wheels when over the past few weeks I have been inundated with requests for tips for buying 'cheap' bikes as people are looking for a way to get out with kids during lockdown or avoid public transit. I threw some other random OEM wheels I had laying around and had a number of offers for way more than I thought it was worth. At the end of the day it was still significantly cheaper than what is currently available in bike shops and while the OEM wheels suck and it was scratched up was still way way better than similar priced offerings from Walmart etc. and I am sure the Crockett is in the same boat. 10spd brifters are pretty cheap and in the current market someone will snatch it up quick. You will not regret the switch to discs and now is your chance to upgrade before the bike tanks in value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live and what do you use the bike for? Do you race cross on it, or is it more a commute gravel grinder bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Canti cross bike dilemma, maintenance and 10/11spd [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race it. 2 to 5 races a year. It is also the workout ride to Umstead bike.

I am top 10 or so most races. Discs may or may not improve a couple spots. I am not the bravest in fast corners and unlike my cheater-in-spirit competitors do run proper size cross tires. So any help is good.

I am pretty sure prior owner left the frayed cable bits inside it and they rusted. I will try one more time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of canti bikes and have mostly settled on 10-speed for the sake of consistency. On my own cross bike I just put a bar end shifter on the right hand side from microshift which can be set to friction or supposedly to index with a mountain bike rear derailleur though I've never gotten that to work quite right and just use it as friction. The nice thing about that is I can shove any wheel into the bike with eight speed through 10 speed and it works just fine. For bikes that other people are using I set them up usually with a 10-speed STI. I get the cheapest Shimano shifters that I can find new and they generally seem to work just fine. People are often giving me 10 speed shifters because I make bikes up for juniors but more often than not the shifters are broken or nearly broken so I wouldn't bother with a used one either. Before you give up on your current shifter maybe blow a whole can of carburetor cleaner through it.

I would not be caught dead on 11 speed that would just turn into a money pit. I'm building up a nice bike for my son to take off to college He's going to be rolling 8 speed
Quote Reply