Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a pair of Riot+. Length and toebox dimensions seem to be precise (after exchanging Standard for Wide anyway), but the edge of the carbon body digs at the inside of my left foot in the area between the ball and heal of the foot. After a 50-mile ride, a long line blister formed on the inside edge of the foot along that interface. No matter, I figured I could just heat mold the body of the shoe in that area to a shallower angle!

The problem is, the heat molding doesn't seem to work.
I first tried setting my oven to 160F based on its dial, putting the shoes in for 20 minutes, and then standing in them for 15 minutes. The shoes didn't seem to become pliable at all, and it doesn't seem that the process did anything.
So then I tried again, but this time managed temperature by sticking a thermocouple temperature sensor right next to the shoe and micromanaging the oven to ensure that that area was kept right at 160F for the 20 minutes as Bont recommends. Immediately after taking the shoe out, I worked hard at the inside of the left shoe with the round end of a screwdriver handle for a few minutes. The shoe still didn't feel pliable, and the effort seems to have had no effect whatsoever.
It seems that a higher temperature would likely have more success in softening the resin, but Bont says that anything above the recommended 160F can damage the shoes and immediately voids the warranty.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Am I missing something?
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jun 29, 20 0:37
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The body isn't moldable, just the midsole is. Even that is questionable. I had the Zero+ and tried several times but heat molding did nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
The body isn't moldable, just the midsole is.
What I meant by "carbon body" is, I think, also something that could be referred to as "midsole." I'm talking about the continuous piece of carbon that makes up almost everything on the lower half of the shoe. The edge of this piece of material is what's digging into the inboard side of my left foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your experience is consistent with mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience a heat gun is required to get it soft enough, much higher temps than bont recommends.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere to use the rounded handle end of a screwdriver to push on the area you want to mold. Maybe you need a bit more force than just putting the foot in the shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
The body isn't moldable, just the midsole is.

What I meant by "carbon body" is, I think, also something that could be referred to as "midsole." I'm talking about the continuous piece of carbon that makes up almost everything on the lower half of the shoe. The edge of this piece of material is what's digging into the inboard side of my left foot.

I would call that the carbon outsole, which is not moldable. You're referring to the carbon bucket, right? It comes up on the sides around your foot? Not moldable. WHe you take the insoles out, the bottom surface is what is "moldable."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had same problem. Heat moulding did NOTHING. Even when I cranked up the heat a fair bit.

I don’t get it. They are really great shoes, if they fit you from the box. I had a pair that I loved, I then replaced after 4 years with a pair of Helix - they were just a millimetre off, but it gave me such foot pain, however much I tried to shape them I failed and eventually gave the shoes away.

It seems this moulding claim is pure marketing BS, too many people find they simply cannot mould them at all. Try taking these back to the shop after trying to shape them and finding they still don’t fit, the shop will laugh at you. Why make such a claim about mouldability if it just leaves people with a pair of shoes they can do nothing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll echo the comments that I found the shoes difficult to work with. I ordered them a couple of years ago and really did the measurement carefully and still found that my big toe was hitting up against the front of one of the shoes. I tried and tried with the heating, both increasing the temp and increasing time and I couldn't manipulate it. Ended up selling them on ebay since they don't accept returns for stuff you've already tried heat molding. I have specialized shoes now (nothing fancy, just torch 2.0) and have been happy with them the past 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm lucky. Ordered the Riot+, came in last week. 4 hr ride on Saturday and they fit perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of Riot+ as well during the ST sale. Haven't tried molding, but that foot bed that is like a bucket it pretty annoying... I was hoping the heat molding would let me push it outward, but I guess that's not true.

Is it really only the bottom of the shoe that's mold-able? Or are the sides?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what you need https://www.amazon.com/...ion%2C242&sr=1-8

You insert this in your shoe with one of the plugs in the location that you are getting the pressure point. Tighten the shoe down, then use a heat gun in that spot. Be careful not to use too high of heat, it will melt the velcro (don't ask how I know) and can melt the upper material if you keep the heat on one spot too long. It's a fine balance, but works.

Head of a screw driver works too, but much harder to get the precision and pressure needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with similar methods and it was 5 or 6 times before my Vaypor S shoes felt good. I also had a little tightness on the lateral aspect of both feet proximal to the forefoot. The shoes never felt pliable, but I can say they definitely do move a little with each molding. My last molding I was smushing them seconds out of the oven while wearing work gloves then stood around in them like you did for about 5 minutes. It just took a few times and different insoles before it felt good.

For me, I needed different inserts with some arch support to take some pressure off the lateral aspect of the foot as well. Giro Supernatural insoles/footbeds were an exact match for the shape of the Bont insole. I have high arches, fairly wide, but low volume feed. Odd combo. I was right on the dot in their fit guidelines between 46.5 wide, 47 standard, or 47 wide and ended up ordering 47 wide. Very glad I did. I don't know how much to attribute to having more arch support to push against or the heat molding, but it seems to have cleared up that edge digging into my foot. The shoes have also developed that vacuum feeling like when removing a nice pair of dress shoes.

I know somebody else that had much better luck on their Bont Helix shoes at 180°F for 20 minutes, but I haven't felt the need to try that (because I'm not too keen on voiding the warranty quite yet). I remember the Shimano heat molding was done at 200-210°F for about half the time, but I think they could only be done a couple of times. The Bont said it could be done an unlimited amount of times at their 160°F for 20 minutes.

Don't hesitate to reach out to the Bont rep on the forum as well. I found them incredibly helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to mold my Bont Riot+ tri and road/boa versions.

My [gas] oven doesn't go lower than 170 degrees, so that is the temperature I used. On my first attempt 20 minutes did nothing, after about 5 attempts I figured it wasn't actually possible and the ST comments confirmed that.

But, this year I bought a a pair with BOAs and figured "f--k it" if I melt the Tri pair oh well.

I left them in the oven at 170 until they softened, which took 40+ minutes. They eventually got soft enough that I could mold by hand, I pushed the hot spots by hand them threw them on my feet to mold the rest and repeated a couple more times until they were perfect. Repeated the same process on the brand new BOA pair, no issues.

TL;DR - Bont's temperature and time recommendations are too conservative, leave them in until they get soft.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What got soft? The WHOLE bottom of the shoe?

I too like the shoes but need the bottom bucket to open up a little (feels like it’s caving into my foot. Heating at 170F for 20min did nothing noticeable.

I’m not worried about warranty. But I don’t want to distort the bottom of the shoe.

Guessing they use two resins? One for bottom and one for the sides? Side resin has lower deforming point?
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I molded the entire arch area from the ball of my foot through to the heel, the side of the tub near the ball of the big toe, and shaped the heel so it holds a little better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! I’ll let them cook a little longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just check them every five or so minutes, to make sure you’re not messing stuff up.

I just reached into the oven and gave the heel a squeeze every 5 minutes beyond 20 minutes, to feel if they were soft yet and make sure nothing was going astray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mine in there for 40min just now and no different than after 20. No flex or molding ability... I decided to call it a night.

I might take to a heat gun for the spot that is uncomfortable or I might just pull up the fabric and cut out the carbon where it’s rubbing me.
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone.

BigBoyND wrote:
I would call that the carbon outsole, which is not moldable. You're referring to the carbon bucket, right? It comes up on the sides around your foot? Not moldable. WHe you take the insoles out, the bottom surface is what is "moldable."
I guess that just doesn't make sense to me in light of Bont's product information. Their website says that "all stiff areas of the shoe can be molded", and I can't imagine the carbon bucket not falling within the "stiff areas of the shoe" category.

GREG_n_SD wrote:
This is what you need https://www.amazon.com/...ion%2C242&sr=1-8

You insert this in your shoe with one of the plugs in the location that you are getting the pressure point. Tighten the shoe down, then use a heat gun in that spot. Be careful not to use too high of heat, it will melt the velcro (don't ask how I know) and can melt the upper material if you keep the heat on one spot too long. It's a fine balance, but works.

Head of a screw driver works too, but much harder to get the precision and pressure needed.
Hmm. That's neat, but it looks like it's designed for expanding the toe box or opening up areas around forefoot bunions. It doesn't look like it's designed to expand in the area I need it to. See the crease:

The heel area feels good, the toebox seems adequate, it's just the low inboard area of the arch on my left foot that wants the side of the carbon body to take a shallower rise up from the heel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Hmm. That's neat, but it looks like it's designed for expanding the toe box or opening up areas around forefoot bunions. It doesn't look like it's designed to expand in the area I need it to. See the crease:

The heel area feels good, the toebox seems adequate, it's just the low inboard area of the arch on my left foot that wants the side of the carbon body to take a shallower rise up from the heel.

I had discomfort issues with that same crease area on my Bonts. I was able to heat them in the oven and use the handle of a screwdriver to push that crease out so they shoes were comfortable. It took a higher oven temp than 160 and I left them in a bit longer. I think I used around 180 - 190 degree oven temps. It also took several heating and screwdriver handle adjustments before they were right. But once I got them sorted, the shoes do fit comfortably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm - you were successful at molding the heel area to hold a bit more firmly??

I just bought some Vaypor G's and they're good except that the heel slips when I walk - which wouldn't be a big deal except that I'll use these for MTB and CX as well as gravel. I wrote to Bont to ask if the heel could be molded and they sidestepped the issue altogether, saying that heel slip is normal in all stiff shoes (its true that its more likely in stiff shoes, but that doesn't make it normal).

I've been trying to decide whether to keep the shoes or keep looking for other options, so your opinion may be useful to me!
Quote Reply
Re: Bont Riot+ not responding to heat molding [adrockwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I was able to “pinch” the top portion of the heel cup for better heel retention.

I have mold all three of the Riot+ that I have (Tri, road, & mtb) using the process i mentioned in my earlier post. While it’s not as quick as Bont would have you believe, it’s definitely possible.
Quote Reply