Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

on cusp of 2 sizes for new wetsuit
Quote | Reply
So, I've read all of the input on how to properly check the fit of a wetsuit, so I get it.

Hoping/not sure if i'll be able to properly try on, swim in and return if needed from the online retailer that I'm buying from.

My question is kind of general and i'm working from the assumption that i wont be able to exchange.

Do i start with the medium (170-174) which i am 1 lb heavier than right now but would be down into for race weight

or

size up and be in the smallest end of the range for that size. That range for me maxes at 189.

I'm thinking i'll be able to use for at least 5 years, but not so sure that i will always be below 175 for race weight as i get older and then wish i had bought the larger size.

I've seen some people say go with the smaller for the tighter fit, but not sure if thats the right approach.
Quote Reply
Re: on cusp of 2 sizes for new wetsuit [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:

Hoping/not sure if i'll be able to properly try on, swim in and return if needed from the online retailer that I'm buying from.

My advice would be to try a different brand and/or retailer that allows it-fairly sure Roka, De Soto and Huub all do which is a very solid list to pick from. I’m sure some others do too.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 27, 20 20:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
So, I've read all of the input on how to properly check the fit of a wetsuit, so I get it.

My question is kind of general and i'm working from the assumption that i wont be able to exchange.

Do i start with the medium (170-174) which i am 1 lb heavier than right now but would be down into for race weight

or

size up and be in the smallest end of the range for that size. That range for me maxes at 189.

I'm thinking i'll be able to use for at least 5 years, but not so sure that i will always be below 175 for race weight as i get older and then wish i had bought the larger size.

I've seen some people say go with the smaller for the tighter fit, but not sure if thats the right approach.

Always go the smaller, if possible. But if there is no way of trying & returning...and if you think you are likely to drift up in weight, go the bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:

Always go smaller. Sure, you may find that you take a couple minutes more to get into it pre-race. But once in the water you'll be much happier.

FWIW then over the years I've ended up being significantly over the posted weight and still able to get in. Indeed, and this may be me, but Orca, 2XU and Huub suits all fitted better when I was at the very top or over their suggested weight.

May be that your shape will come into this, I'm pretty long in the legs and short in spine for my 6'4" height. Means my 'weight' is also in my legs and not on my body compared to perhaps the average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go smaller. The suits will stretch (esp. once wet) during use to accommodate. I've been (am) 10+ pounds over the recommended weight and still had no issues.

I contrast, I've swum in suits that were slightly loose and it was chafe-city.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto makes a 2-piece suit that is amazing. They also have a great guarantee. https://www.desotosport.com/...warranty-t1-wetsuits
Contact Emilio for sizing info and advice.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: on cusp of 2 sizes for new wetsuit [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Smaller it is.

May be motivation for me to keep my weight down too. (This coming from a guy who lost lost 50 lbs last year to get healthy again)

Do you feel the same way about your tri-kit size? Go smaller if on the cusp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as clear cut for me as if it's two tight then the material can cut in more. It's generally the body length that's the issue for me in trikit. And whilst as already mentioned you can get two piece wetsuits from Desoto, I've generally gone two piece for my trikit with different sizes top and bottom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends, do you want it to be tighter, less A for cdA, or do you want it to be comfortable :p
Quote Reply