Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU WCS Montreal + Cdn Nationals (Oct 2-4 2020????)
Quote | Reply
https://montrealgazette.com/...n-drapeau-in-october

Looks like they found a date for the ITU WCS in Montreal (even thought ITU Worlds Edmonton is cancelled) on Oct 2-4 weekend

They moved the venue from a downtown city circuit to Isle Notre Dame, on the Canadian Grand Prix Formula 1 track where 1999 ITU World's were held as it has a ton of space, unidirectional for bike and run. Quebec seems to be the most aggressive in Canada in terms of opening things up.

Organizers sent us a note asking if we want to transfer to 2021 or keep our registration for the new 2020 date. Aside from not knowing what may happen with a second wave (if) in October, the water temp is a concern. The swim is in the 1976 Olympic rowing basin, so it loses heat quickly:

Swim in the rectangle basin, bike on the Formula 1 track beside it, run loops of the basin (two loops). I'm inclined to keep my registration in 2020, just to have something to train for noting that there is a high probabily that it gets cancelled for Covid19 or my strongest event (the swim) gets cancelled due to temps.

On a plus note, my two best races ever were on this circuit (Cdn tri nationals Olympics 1994 1:59 Esprit 2006 half IM 4:14).

@Michael Hatch, would be join if this virus goes to nothing by then and now that they moved to this awesome course.

Quebec and Ontario are recording their lowest case numbers and deaths since March in single digits for deaths and high double digits to low triple digits for cases this week....but it can easily swing any way as we saw down south.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/...-in-canada-1.4852102

Having said that, as this is a WCS event, it means Quebec and Canada have plans to allow international travelers for business in general for an event like this to happen (it was the original reason given for postponement). I'll wait to see what the story is on international biz travel and quarantine. I can imagine that after all the sacrifices Canadians made to get our house in some kind of order, we're going to want those from other countries with high numbers to sit in their 14 day quarantines (and I think that is right) before they can do biz here, so I bet that if the 14 day quarantine is not lifted the entire WCS event gets cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WCS Montreal + Cdn Nationals (Oct 2-4 2020????) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a full month between the new dates for WTS Hamburg and this, so we'll have a good sense to see if international travelers for that race cause an outbreak. I suspect that WTS or not, a long as there are no major upticks in cases, they will try to forge ahead with the AG races. They originally postponed because of the WTS element, likely because at that point they weren't sure about where they would need to reschedule too, so they wanted to keep it together. if the only part that can't happen is the WTS, there's no moving back from this date, so they will likely do what they can. I suspect that it will be a 16C ish wetsuit mandatory swim, but the only way I could see a swim cancellation is with a really cool air temp (because of the ratio adjustment). It's 3 weeks after the traditional Esprit date, and there have been years where the Esprit was non-wetsuit with 25C water temps...

For the WTS it'll be a different dynamic than past years given the flatness of the race course compared to the traditional lumpy course, but it will make for super fast times!
Quote Reply
Re: ITU WCS Montreal + Cdn Nationals (Oct 2-4 2020????) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the age group race is no longer a nationals, just "a race". But its a bit fuzzy and neither is it a selection event for ITU World's 2021 (probably because Triathlon Canda has no idea how many people from 2020 go for 2021 Worlds...personally I think if 2020 Worlds are cancelled, everyone should have to requalify for 2021. Its a new year and shit happened this year. But its all an imperfect world.

I'll probably go if cases are almost zero locally and they have a proper set up so we can avoid each other. Of any venue, this one is as good as it can get, and I don't imagine there will be a huge attendance in October. Its just going to be a few local Quebec and Ontario athletes.

For the ITU WCS event, they likely will only be able to allow athletes from certain countries that Canada clears for business and tourism travel without a 14 day quarantine. So basically not sure how ITU has an event, if Canada does not allow say US travellers in yet (likewise for WCS Hamburg).

I hope they still have a local event if public health is OK for "intra Canadian activities", but perfectly OK if we have nothing if we triathletes can cause problems. I actually have almost no interest in pro triathlon racing anyway as a fan and really don't want a bunch off interational officials and athletes coming to Montreal if there are many regions of the world in bad shape from which they originate.
Quote Reply