Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Kazakhstan
Quote | Reply
How does IM decide on (re)allocation of Kona slots?

As it stands IM Kazakhstan on Aug 23 has been allocated 60 slots this year (20 or 30 more than usual). At the same foreigners are not allowed to travel in and this week WHO even included Kazakhstan as high risk country. Can change but a risky proposition to arrange flights etc.

Cool for the Kazakhs as it will be enough to finish to get a slot in some age groups but not really fair for the much more competitive European races that might happen this year.

With so many races cancelled until now they could increase the quota with 20-30 slots for any race that happens. No?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [Financier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its unfair whether Covid19 is on or not. If you can afford to fly to South Africa, you have an advantage or if live in Frankfurt or St. George you have an advantage...basically you have an advantage if you can access a high KQ slot race.

Its never fair, getting to Kona is a combo of economic and athletic access.

If IM Khazakstan goes off, the athletes there will get a bit of a leg up. Good for them. Before its cancellation, IM Canada Penticton was getting the same slot allocation upgrade which would have been awesome for Canadian athletes, since US athletes can't come into Canada yet over land borders (I believe you can fly here though). Penticton is cancelled, so by all means these slots should be re allocated if there are races to allocate them to.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely agree that Kona with or without Covid is a combo of economic and athletic achievement.

That said, in this case it is just illogical to add more slots to a race which is just national and extremely thin start list on top of that. It is outside the discussion of being fair or not which nothing in life is.

Ironman should work on the reputation side of things and start building up its goodwill again. Logical and fair (re)allocation of slots is one variable to play with.

So my question stands - does anyone have an insight on how slots are (re)allocated with gradual cancellations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nature of allowing a commercial outfit operate a World Champs. They want to expand the market into the former Soviet-Era Russian colonies. And offering more slots is one element of helping do that.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that’s a valid point. Just not sure that, on balance, it provides a benefit under current circumstances. In a normal year I would understand the business argument behind it as you say though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
The nature of allowing a commercial outfit operate a World Champs. They want to expand the market into the former Soviet-Era Russian colonies. And offering more slots is one element of helping do that.

Haha...next thing we know Vino will invite Lance and Johan B to come and play 140.6 in Astana!!! Vino will want to make Lance hurt like during the cross country escapade to Gap circa 2003.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Financier wrote:
How does IM decide on (re)allocation of Kona slots?

As it stands IM Kazakhstan on Aug 23 has been allocated 60 slots this year (20 or 30 more than usual). At the same foreigners are not allowed to travel in and this week WHO even included Kazakhstan as high risk country. Can change but a risky proposition to arrange flights etc.

Cool for the Kazakhs as it will be enough to finish to get a slot in some age groups but not really fair for the much more competitive European races that might happen this year.

With so many races cancelled until now they could increase the quota with 20-30 slots for any race that happens. No?
LOL people crying what is fair and unfair because it doesn’t suit their narrative in getting to Kona during a highly fucked up ever changing time period in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than crying, an objective attempt to understand the logic. Assuming you have nothing to contribute to the discussing but LOLing?! Need to raise the bar somewhat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Financier wrote:
Rather than crying, an objective attempt to understand the logic. Assuming you have nothing to contribute to the discussing but LOLing?! Need to raise the bar somewhat.

Don't blame him for being an Aussie and not being a drama queen ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
Financier wrote:

I thought you might understand. I know you carry such high stress levels with trying to KQ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
sgy wrote:
Financier wrote:

I thought you might understand. I know you carry such high stress levels with trying to KQ...

Haha, I am European and also don't care :-) Enjoying the south of France right now. Let's ditch Kona and move the WC to here ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Kazakhstan [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well seems it will be some years before we will be allowed to travel to the US and return home without having to quarantine and my coach is there so I’d be happy with it. I was supposed to do his IM distance race this year until Covid ruined all our lives. You should look into racing it... https://www.frenchmantriathlon.com/...athlon-distance-xxl/
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jun 29, 20 0:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Well seems it will be some years before we will be allowed to travel to the US and return home without having to quarantine and my coach is there so I’d be happy with it. I was supposed to do his IM distance race this year until Covid ruined all our lives. You should look into racing it... https://www.frenchmantriathlon.com/...athlon-distance-xxl/

Looks like a nice race. We will do IM Portugal or at least have a vacation there ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply