Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NCAA University 5 person practice groups
Quote | Reply
I know a few athletes at a major NCAA university that had an all fall sports teams call this afternoon. The athletic department said groups of 5 can practice together and that these 5 need be consistent all fall. Also that all returning to campus athletes must quarantine for 7 or 10d (can't remember) before they are allowed to join in any practice.

Now I really don't follow sports but it seems that real football sports like soccer & rugby have >5 on the field at a time and that fake football has 11 per side on the field.

How do you divvy that up? Goalie, center, striker, maybe 2 strikers and a forward? Guard, Center, QB, RB & receiver or maybe no RB & 2 receivers?

On defense do you go with a 0, two 4 techniques and two safeties? (that's what I'd do bc the 4 techniques can slide into the 3 or out depending on what offense does although 5 v 11 hardly seems fair)

I think what this university said is long live basketball & XC & beach volleyball (wait is that an NCAA sport?), screw you other mass people fall sports but in more words!

I don't think it bodes well for fall NCAA sports that have large amounts of people together at a time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 26, 20 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA University 5 person practice groups [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 2 NCAA Division I athletes living with me right now... 1 in Water Polo and 1 in Tennis. This has been such a disaster in terms of communication, planning, and coordination. For a while, each school seemed to be doing their own thing and then they got coordinated and then they went silent. So frustrating for planning. Do we sign the 1 year 2020-21 rental lease or not?

Water polo is about as full contact as it gets with suit grabbing, face to face combat, and a small field. It doesn't matter if there are 7 on a team or 5 on a team. It is a full-touch sport. Admittedly, they are swimming in bromine or whatever chemical is in the pool. But the sport isn't possible without touching. Here is my kid (in the white cap) getting destroyed in set by two Olympic players.

And a photo to redeem himself with a shot from outside.No really, I'm not a proud mama or anything.

Tennis seems much more manageable. But for her to go back to campus and play on the team, she will be quite lonely. There aren't a bunch of players to pal around with and most of the campus will be void of non-athlete students. But, if she doesn't do what she's told, she loses her scholarship. These kids really aren't given much of a choice if they can yank the scholarships.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N=1
That's just one of a few hundred NCAA institutions. I teach at a DII school. The football team had a couple of dozen players on the practice field this week. A dozen or so other student-athletes & grad assistants were playing a pick up soccer game.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son's conference called it like two months ago, "No fall sports." Now, it is a large D2 California conference that does not play football so they are less invested in waiting than say, any of the Power 5 football conference that would lose millions of dollars not having a season.
The positive result is that he now has a huge block of time to get back in shape after a church mission, did not even lose a redshirt year and I get to run with him every day again. If they actually hold Du nationals in October he'll probably make me a faster runner than I have been in years.
His team does a weekly conference call and there is NO indication that they are going to change their minds and have a limited fall season. If they don't, then he is staying home fall semester and racing du nat's with me. :)
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA University 5 person practice groups [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe I'll come watch you guys race. I deferred my entry to next year. We're killing it in AZ currently.
Largest hospital system in the state with 2x hospitals crossed over 90% ICU capacity and are converting other units to Covid units to handle the surge.
A physician friend who works on campus is telling me she's getting positive covid tests back on more students now than spring semester.
Friend who is an administrator at another hospital group is losing ICU nurses bc they are quitting instead of working on a covid unit. Both Banner & his hospital are recruiting out of state ICU nurses.

If you're wife (iirc she's an RN) wants to make some $ over and above what a traveling nurse would normally make there is a job for her in AZ.

We're #1 at trying to reduce our population rapidly!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply