Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo or Light Bicycle
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in a carbon clincher disc brake wheelset for my Bianchi Infinito. It'll likely be a Light Bicycle AR46 or the Flo 49AS. There's almost a $600 price difference, in favor of LB, and I prefer their DT350 hub option. I'll probably run a 25 or 28mm tire, non tubeless, because I typically only flat once every 12-18 months. I would prefer to get the Flo, partly because I have irrational concerns 'cheap Chinese' stuff. I also like supporting an American company like Flo, but the price difference is substantial.

I'm interested to hear which one you'd pick and why.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light bicycle isn’t cheap Chinese stuff, there are many threads on different forum with tons of people using their wheels for years. I have a pair of their AR56 with DTSwiss350 hubs and use them for my Exploro so they’ve seen several thousand miles of gravel and road with an issue. Do not worry about poor quality from them.

Here’s a thread that’s over on the weightweenie forum https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...p?f=113&t=152443
Last edited by: Tifosi01: Jun 26, 20 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tifosi01 wrote:
Light bicycle isn’t cheap Chinese junk
I know this. I tried to convey that with my quotes and mentioning that it was irrational. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I re-read what you posted and was going to edit my post but yeah, I realize you didn’t mean it like I thought I read it. LB is cheap in price but not in quality, don’t worry about ordering from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tifosi01 wrote:
Light bicycle isn’t cheap Chinese stuff, there are many threads on different forum with tons of people using their wheels for years. I have a pair of their AR56 with DTSwiss350 hubs and use them for my Exploro so they’ve seen several thousand miles of gravel and road with an issue. Do not worry about poor quality from them.

Here’s a thread that’s over on the weightweenie forum https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...p?f=113&t=152443

Never heard of them before. Glad you posted. I might be getting a pair in the near future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a light bicycle rim come apart at the brake track, with the tube bulging out. It was built into a track wheel, so I never even used brakes on it. Glad I caught the defect before it blew out mid race, sans freewheel.

I’d go with Flos.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d go with Flos. Reputable guys and great customer service.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I overlooked them. I'm interested in their AR 58/62 DB or the 41 DB, it's a decent pricepoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what delivery times to the US are like for Light wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably go with the new zipp 303s over flo, just another solid option in that price point
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any interest in hookless rims. The tire choices are too limited and I don't want to mess with tubeless on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you use their online chat feature, and include your build specs, they will tell you. DT hubs are in short supply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I'd probably go with the new zipp 303s over flo, just another solid option in that price point

I just ordered a set of Zipp 303s. I know I said I didn't want tubeless & hookless, I guess I don't care all that much. None of the other options interested me after I found more datapoints/reviews. Perhaps it's my "new is better" side winning. I did soften my stance a bit when I measured my current 25mm Conti tires - they're over 28mm on my Flo 30s. I'm happy with the current ride, so if I'm going to run something fatter, I may as well get a wheel designed around that width.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I and a couple teammates ordered wheelsets from Lightbicycle back on May 5. They are not here yet. In transit now, so maybe by the end of next week? They stated shipping would be slower due to the pandemic but it did take a couple weeks before they even finished our orders.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo or Light Bicycle [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
I and a couple teammates ordered wheelsets from Lightbicycle back on May 5. They are not here yet. In transit now, so maybe by the end of next week? They stated shipping would be slower due to the pandemic but it did take a couple weeks before they even finished our orders.

Thanks, that's part of the reason I didn't end up buying from Light. I didn't want to wait all summer for them to arrive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just given tubeless road a chance myself after being really skeptical, i'm now pretty sold. You can throw a pair of 28 mm gp5000 TL tires on those wheels and not only have a super plush ride but i'm pretty confident that'll be just as fast a setup as anything else out there. Once you have the initial tubeless setup i'm finding it super easy, and I've already had my road wheels save me from a few flats, since there are a lot of goatheads where i live. Hope you enjoy them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I bought a pair of Schwalbe PRO ONE Tubeless TLE Addix tires. They're not as fast as the GP5Ks, but I was a bit concerned about Conti's recommendation against hookless installations. I'd be interested to hear about your long term results with that setup.
Quote Reply