Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PM advice...sorry
Quote | Reply
I want to enter the power meter game and get my training back to be, well, training. Here is my rub...

I recently got a new bike and have relegated the old bike to the (dumb) trainer. So, as far as PMs go, I would obviously want to use it on both, which tells me pedal-based. But I can get a screaming deal on a spider based PM (think Quarq). Sure, I COULD switch them, but that is a PITA and one is 10-speed and the other is 11-speed.

So do I spend more and get a pedal-based PM (probably Favero, if I can find them in stock) or just go with the spider-based? (I suppose I could sell the trainer bike and just use one, but come on).

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: PM advice...sorry [JohnnyRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go pedals. Easy to move between bikes, take on vacations for use on rental bikes (when we get back to that), you don't need to sell them with the bike, etc.

If you go with the crank-based unit, I'd just leave it on the outdoor bike and use the power curve estimates for your dumb trainer to Zwift.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedals are kind of the no-brainer answer here, because you checked the major criteria: use on multiple bikes.

That said, if you could get a screamin' deal on 2 Spider PMs, then that might be worth considering.

I almost bought a second set of Assioma Duos earlier this spring for my bikes because I was jumping between two bikes more frequently. But, there was no inventory anywhere. I may still one day.
Quote Reply
Re: PM advice...sorry [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for the reservation to purchase the Favero Assioma Duo's as they are out of stock everywhere and it says they will be available in 50 days. It will give me time to read Training and Racing with a Power Meter. Reviews are all positive and surpass the Garmin Vector 3s and at a much lower cost and also undercut the Powertap P2 pedals. The Garmin and Powertap pedals are available now to purchase if you are wanting them now as opposed to waiting. I'm going to wait on the Favero's and get an additional set for my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having a pedal-based pm is very handy for switching between current bikes, future bikes, rental bikes... However, another consideration would be to get the pm that you’re getting a deal on for the outdoor bike, and then put the money you save toward a smart trainer for the indoor bike. If you spend several months a year inside and have a dedicated trainer bike, a direct drive smart trainer is nice to have...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have different BB on the bikes then swapping a quarq between bikes is easier than pedals - one bolt not two pedals..

I've swapped the quarq between two GXP bikes for years. One is 9 speed one 10 speed. I've another that is 11 speed and has it's own Quarq as it's a different BB.

Oh, and the 9 & 10speed bikes - I'm using shimano 11speed chainrings with no issues.

I timed the quarq swap once at under 40 seconds when not rushing. All you need is a meaty torque wrench (which you probably are going to want anyway).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get tired of swapping the PM from bike to bike. I would buy the Quarq and then find a cheap used PT rear wheel for the trainer. I'm kind of partial to Quarq, I bought one used almost 10 years ago and it's still going strong.
Quote Reply
Re: PM advice...sorry [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
You'll get tired of swapping the PM from bike to bike. I would buy the Quarq and then find a cheap used PT rear wheel for the trainer. I'm kind of partial to Quarq, I bought one used almost 10 years ago and it's still going strong.

I guess some people may do, but I never did. I actually got fed up of changing the 'spares' kit between bikes and ended up buying another set of levers and multitool as the faffing there was too much and yet the quarq swap never was. I guess the cost differential may have played into that choice..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: PM advice...sorry [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have decided on the Quarq. Thanks for the advice. One last thing though:

My 2 x bikes are differently groupset-ed. One has 10-speed Ultegra and the other has Ultegra R8000. So, do I go for the Shimano version with the 4-bolts and commit to Shimano rings (and use the R8000 rings), or do I go for the 5-bolt version and open myself to more options later when I need a new chainring (and use the Praxis rings I have, which should work with both 10- and 11-speed)? I'm leaning towards the 5-bolt version...
Last edited by: JohnnyRocket: Jul 15, 20 5:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, also, the Praxis is 52/36 and the Shimano is 50/34. So, if I go with the Parxis 52/36, would I need a new chain to use on the bike that currently has the 50/34?
Quote Reply
Re: PM advice...sorry [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
I just signed up for the reservation to purchase the Favero Assioma Duo's as they are out of stock everywhere and it says they will be available in 50 days. It will give me time to read Training and Racing with a Power Meter. Reviews are all positive and surpass the Garmin Vector 3s and at a much lower cost and also undercut the Powertap P2 pedals. The Garmin and Powertap pedals are available now to purchase if you are wanting them now as opposed to waiting. I'm going to wait on the Favero's and get an additional set for my wife.

You'll love them. One of the rare products in triathlon at really overperforms and 'just works' (many ST threads about this.) At an amazing pricepoint.

I swap mine all the time between my TT bike and my road bike, minimal hassle. Connects every time, quickly, no weird issues whatsoever. Great charging clamp and super helpful 'on' light. Seriously, there is almost nothing you can criticize about this other than that the real LONG-term reviews aren't quite out yet (but we're getting there.)

Even if for some reason you dislike them, I guarantee you'll sell them for a great price nearly instantly. As opposed to my powertap hub which was $1000 when I first bought it - I'd be lucky to get even $150 for that wheel now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have pedal, crank and wheel based PMs. Unless you want non KEO cleats, pedals are definitely the way to go. And the Favero are hard to beat in terms of price and reliability (and I have Garmins on one bike, Favero on another).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Power 2 Max crank based and have loved it. No issues in over a year. I have seriously considered pedal based on my next bike but then I could not run speed play pedals. If I sell the current bike with the PM, I would consider P2M again because it just works. I only have one road bike though.
Quote Reply