Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Very Hard Run; Did Sleep Burn Me? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
I think you answered your own question as well... I can't imagine I would psychologically be in a good place to run hard after disrupting a sleep cycle and then starting to struggle solo.

Physiologically, I've had the experience of not being able to attain the same heart rates on early morning exercise compared to that later in the day. This is apparently common... an (over 10 years old) article that might have some info worth looking into: https://www.nytimes.com/...utrition/10best.html

This article also mentions most world records are not broken in early-morning competition. Personally I put in most of my training in the morning, but I've almost never tried executing race effort just after rolling out of bed.

For most IM events I'm up at 3:00-4:00am and starting at 7am. Those race efforts are commonly executed after rolling out of bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Hard Run; Did Sleep Burn Me? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3-4 hours between waking and starting a race is hardly rolling out of bed ... Same for marathons, they are mostly morning endeavors, but you've got hours between waking up and the starting gun, and adrenaline from it being race day.

exxxviii describes a situation that's otherwise normal training, and (presumably) within an hour of waking - I've had some AM workouts like that where I feel similarly that I should have been able to go harder, even when I didn't short myself on sleep and get up super early.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Hard Run; Did Sleep Burn Me? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused about your sleeping hours. 4 hours is very short time to heal muscles and prepare them for a long run. I often get 10 hours of sleep before going for a long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Hard Run; Did Sleep Burn Me? [charles65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you familiar with the Ironman VR format? I had 12 hours to complete the three events. I had three general options for timing the run: 1) Run straight off the bike, 2) Rest a little between the bike and run, or 3) Get some sleep between the bike and run. I live in a hot and humid region, and options 1 or 2 would have put me in tougher weather conditions. So, I figured that #3 would be the best because sleep is good. But, I think that was the worst of the three options, that allowing my body to sleep was actually worse than simply staying awake but resting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next