Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rouvy AR Racing
Quote | Reply
Searched high and low and I can't find a good thread on racing via Rouvy, which has forcibly gained popularity because of the Ironman VR series.

I've done a few now and I just wanted to gut check my observations vs all of your collective experiences:
  • Courses are WAY more hilly than real life (made the dead flat Eagleman course look hilly). Not a complaint just an observation.
  • Downhill you carry very little momentum. Soft pedaling loses about half my speed. My only real complaint.
  • Bikes (TT v Road) make no difference. If I'm right in glad about this. Fairer race.
  • There is something I'm missing, because on flats there is often nothing I can do to catch someone off the front even though their W/KG is noticably lower. What's the part of the speed calculation I'm not thinking of?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Ditto, though I have only raced 2 courses. The courses I raced for practice were mixed-- and I intentionally chose some hilly ones to try them out.
  • Downhill may be trainer dependent. My Tacx Neo supposedly simulates downhill freewheeling. IIRC, I was hauling tukas downhill on the Tacx. I currently have a Wahoo KICKR setup, but even that seemed like it had some downhill efficiency. I will check it out tonight when I ride Kona.
  • Bikes make no difference - this hugely works in my favor. I am not as aero as others in real life. I need to invest in some fit and aero tuning time.
  • Speed - I agree; I have seen this some too. I assumed that the lower W/kg people were heavier than me and generating bigger top-end watts. I think you are a little heavier than me (IIRC from prior posts), and your W/kg has been a lot bigger than me. So, it seems like this would be less likely for you. In VR11, I rode around 3.2 - 3.3 W/kg (around 265W), and I was generally faster than everyone else near me who was in the mid 3s. (There was no one close to 4 in that race.) In VR10, I rode right at 3.1 (250W) and got passed by some lower and passed some higher.

Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah seems to line up.

On the bikes, I mean the in-game ones. I have a TT bike option but I think it's just a superficial change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Be sure to use the Rouvy AR app not the workout one. Since using that version hills seem accurate. They do use a different algorithm on the new one (AR).
- They just started beta testing drafting so that's coming soon.
-No changing difficult slider in online races so your stuck with the ratio on your bike.
- They have races that only allow smart trainers (like the VR) so no more of that ridiculous Z power on Zwift.
-No thumbs up or chat, some like it some don't. I would at least like the option.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i brought this issue up a few days ago. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

rouvy rep told me flat courses feel hilly because they set trainer difficulty to 100% vs zwift default 50%, but i disagree that is the reason. they make 1' elevation change feel like 100'. I tested this by doing ironman super seal course which I live next to and done in real life myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using the AR app? I use on iPad and havnt noticed the exaggerated hill issue, but maybe its course dependent. I saw your thread and someone said they had to download videos, I never have and no problems.

I do think depth perception with real life videos is ironically harder to see hills than Zwift. One time I could only tell because I saw a car disappearing down. They need a better hill graph, its ok, but not great. Using the kickr climb is my best indicator I'm climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In flats courses w/kg doesn't matter. Only watts do (apart from a little effect of weight on rolling resistance) affect speed. So strong and heavy riders have an advantage here.
On the hills w/kg is very important of course and these provide opportunities for the light ones to catch the heavy ones :-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Are you using the AR app? I use on iPad and havnt noticed the exaggerated hill issue, but maybe its course dependent. I saw your thread and someone said they had to download videos, I never have and no problems.

I do think depth perception with real life videos is ironically harder to see hills than Zwift. One time I could only tell because I saw a car disappearing down. They need a better hill graph, its ok, but not great. Using the kickr climb is my best indicator I'm climbing.

yes this is with the AR app and the video came with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rouvy AR Racing [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:
In flats courses w/kg doesn't matter. Only watts do (apart from a little effect of weight on rolling resistance) affect speed. So strong and heavy riders have an advantage here.
On the hills w/kg is very important of course and these provide opportunities for the light ones to catch the heavy ones :-)
Sam

Ah right.. physics..

Well that should be taken acre of this weekend on the Kona 70.3 course at least! Not flat.

Thanks for the answer.

Quote Reply