Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I was wondering why I got those emails. I would love to go some year as well.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can qualify for USAT Nationals at any USAT sanctioned race regardless of distance.

https://www.teamusa.org/...nships/Qualification
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
You can qualify for USAT Nationals at any USAT sanctioned race regardless of distance.

https://www.teamusa.org/...nships/Qualification

Thanks!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I was curious and looked at their qualification updates. They did 2 things... first, anyone who qualified for 2020 was automatically qualified for 2021. And second, they extended the 2021 qualification period back to mid 2019. (I actually did one race in 2020 that qualified me. Although that race handed my butt to me, I just squeaked under the top 15% AG line.)

I think they made an adjustment to cast a wider net there as well:

Qualification Path #1: General USAT Sanctioned Age Group Triathlons
The first way to qualify is through a normal USAT Sanctioned age group triathlon of any distance. These events include all non-championship events.
  • Olympic-Distance: To qualify, athletes must either place in the top three (3) or in the top 25% of finishers in their age group.
  • Sprint: To qualify, athletes must either place in the top five (5) or in the top 35% of finishers in their age group, whichever is greater.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA TRIATHLON EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY

I agree and understand that there are NO REFUNDS, ROLLOVERS, DEFERALS or BIB TRANSFERS. Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable under any and all circumstances, including, but not limited to cancellation of the event or of your participation. No exceptions!

money grab and run? I used to be part of an NGB and less trusting of their motivation for the athletes since then.

$300 for olympic
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best guess: there will be racing in August unless we get new deadlier or more infections strains, or a new strain against which the existing vaccines are ineffective. Then we are back to square one. A lot can happen in 5 months.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised they pumped up the price from 190 to 250. Having a 2 in front makes it seem a hell of a lot more expensive for an olympic.

That being said, if you're travelling to nationals, hotels, etc. $50 shouldn't make or break it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never given half a thought to AG Nats before, but now that I got the email it's piqued my interest. If I can get the boss to give me the ok, I might sign up. I'm sure it's a great event!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They looked at how poorly IM has been treating their base and what their prices were...

$250 seems cheap all of a sudden (almost pink)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had a quick look at the homepage, and did not see when the race is actually happening? And if later in the summer, can you still qualify beforehand?

For me it is more about where they hold the race than the actual race, would like a nice area to perhaps bring the fam. I haven't been to Milwaukee in a very long time, but recall fond memories of the place, so perhaps worth a trip. Any locals or frequent visitors have some info one way or the other?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aug 7-8. Not 100% sure on the qualification window but I think anything during this season would count toward 2022 qualification.

People rave about the Milwaukee location. I did both in Cleveland and had an absolute blast yet everyone said Milwaukee is way better (venue/race setup, not city necessarily), and apparently why USAT has seemingly settled on it as a permanent spot.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
I'm surprised they pumped up the price from 190 to 250. Having a 2 in front makes it seem a hell of a lot more expensive for an olympic.

That being said, if you're travelling to nationals, hotels, etc. $50 shouldn't make or break it for you.

add another $50 for fees and usat license. it also depends where you travel from and how you do it. its much cheaper for someone within driving distance. . Now being I need a flight for this , I would rent a car and sleep in it ($30 a day). But is it worth losing that much when I can race cheaper in florida where event is more likely to happen? (if I am going to fly)
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 15, 21 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I am excited to share that just received word that I have qualified for the 2021 USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals. My 2020 race performances must really have impressed someone. I am both humbled and honored to be recognized for this distinction and privilege.

On the serious side, I would like to go to this race someday, but this is probably not the year for me. I have heard that the quality of the event is fantastic from friends who have gone. This should be an interesting year for USAT, because so few people had the opportunity to race at all for a qualification in 2020, so performances should be all over the place.

I read my email this morning and was surprised I made it. It’s been so long since I’ve raced that I had forgotten my placement in any of the races from 2019.

It’d be cool to say I competed in Nationals, but Milwaukee is a long way from The Peach State. It’d make 2021 a heck of a race year for me though:
August: Age Group Nationals
September: Augusta 70.3
November: IMFL
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I've never given half a thought to AG Nats before, but now that I got the email it's piqued my interest. If I can get the boss to give me the ok, I might sign up. I'm sure it's a great event!

I did Milwaukee twice and Cleveland. Nationals are fantastic - love the energy and passion! Milwaukee is a good venue and definitely worth considering.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a short course Nats geek. Did Milwaukee twice and Cleveland twice and am from Cleveland. Reserved my hotel for Milwaukee 2021 and am thrilled that it's walking distance to race.

Not sure what race or races l'll do yet at Nats. I can't f$#%ing wait to race this year. 2020 sucked.

USAT nationals IMO is the best non Ironman age group race in the country. But I haven't done them all so what do I know...
Last edited by: GoJohnnyGo: Mar 15, 21 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Just had a quick look at the homepage, and did not see when the race is actually happening? And if later in the summer, can you still qualify beforehand?

For me it is more about where they hold the race than the actual race, would like a nice area to perhaps bring the fam. I haven't been to Milwaukee in a very long time, but recall fond memories of the place, so perhaps worth a trip. Any locals or frequent visitors have some info one way or the other?

Milwaukee itself is nice place to visit for a few days. Has good food and good beer. Areas to wander and some nice museums. Of course it depends on what your family is looking for.

The location of the race is fantastic. Walking distance to a bunch of hotels and generally a nice place for a family that is dragged to a race to hang out. The location of the race is a popular place for locals and tourists to visit without the race, so I don't think that is a crazy statement. Or other areas of the city are within walking distance.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm originally from Milwaukee so I'm pretty excited that the race is on (for now.) Helps that it's only a 5hr drive and I get to stay with my folks so I really get to do nationals on the cheap. Really curious about what the bike course is going to look like, but aside from a a short climb up the bluffs I'd imagine it will be a pancake flat course as well, especially the run if it's done in Veterans Park. Does anybody have a course map from the last time they held it there?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got the email as well. zero idea how i qualified, especially since my swim is pretty much trying to not drown and look like a wounded animal struggling to make it to the shore.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised as heck to get the email, and like everyone else had no idea how I got there until I saw the top 5/35% deal for the sprint race.

Won't be doing it this year but did Oly Nats in Milwaukee in 2014. Flew out from CA, I don't qualify for much so I figured might as well do it. It was a fantastic race, fantastic venue, and still my Oly PR
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if course maps are available? Curious about elevation gain on bike and run and how many turns on the bike.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course is dead flat for both races (OD and sprint). The swim is in a protected cove.
The bike course has flat stretches and rolling hills (one of them is a bridge), so not a flat course but not what I would consider hilly. The initial out leg goes up a short hill that hits maybe 5% before turning around and heading south towards the bridge "hill". Once over the bridge you either turn around and go back to transition (sprint) or head through some more rollers before heading back (OD).
I did Nats all three years before when it was in Milwaukee. Great location for a race and very spectator friendly, my wife was very pleased with the ability to see me for a lot of the race. Head and shoulders above Omaha and Cleveland IMHO. Plus Milwaukee was a lot of fun.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Qualified for Oly and Sprint, decided to sign up for the Sprint and make the race the kickoff to a vacation week in Wisc.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Qualified for Oly and Sprint, decided to sign up for the Sprint and make the race the kickoff to a vacation week in Wisc.

Some how qualified for both. Didn’t race any races last year and only did aquabike the year before

Not sure how I qualified for them
Quote Reply

Prev Next