Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to upgrade to a carbon aero wheelset on my Felt B2. I am training for Ironman Maryland right now but I'm not really sure where to begin as far as what kind of wheels I should get. Clincher or tubular? What rim height? Should I have different rim heights for the front and back wheels? Are these the right questions I should be asking and how do you decide what is best? Is there a standard configuration most people run for long distance triathlon? I am looking for an all around solid carbon wheel I can use in 70.3 or full Ironman race and train with. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [tompigs7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your budget?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought reading your query is to wonder how you know you want full carbon wheels when you don't know anything else. I mean this quite sincerely.
I don't think the Felt B2 has been available in a disc version so I'm assuming you have rim brakes?
The two main advantages of full carbon for aero wheels are potential weight savings and potential to shape a deep rim nicely over it's entire depth to fair neatly to the tyre, but only really on a disc brake rim.
I would prioritise braking, value and aerodyamics over any preconception about materials, bourne entirely of marketing and fashion.

Tubular or Clincher? If you don't know you want tubular, you should get clincher. There's almost no advantage to a tubular except the ability of the tyre to stay on the rim when punctured. I'd stick to tubeless ready clinchers.

Depth? Deeper is faster on flat routes. Deeper is typically heavier but that's not too important, especially on a flat route. Deeper front wheels are typically more effected by wind.
If you're a lighter rider, a deep front wheel may be more of a concern in the wind. A disc on the back is probably fastest, unless the route is very hilly.
Popular combinations are ~60mm front and rear, ~60mm front and ~90mm rear, ~60mm front and disc rear, or ~90mm front and disc rear. If you'll share the wheels with a road bike I'd get 60/60 and a maybe wheel cover for the rear later to convert it to a disc when conditions are appropriate. Again, depth is a trade-off between aerodynamics, weight, and stability in the wind.

My suggestion would be an alloy rim with carbon fairings like the HED Jet Plus 6/9. They're in the top handful of rim brake wheels for aerodynamics, competitive on weight, reliable braking, and very reasonably priced compared to many deep carbon wheels like those from Zipp or ENVE for example.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 17, 20 20:04
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
breaking?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not breaking the bank perhaps? ;)

Good advice on the wheels though.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
breaking?
Oops - fixed it!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and if you are looking for your biggest bang for your buck, it's hard to go wrong with a decent rear wheel and use a disc cover.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around $1,500 if I go new but I was planning on checking out the used market on facebook marketplace and some of the groups in there
Quote Reply
Re: Looking to get first set of carbon aero wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess what I am saying is that I want to upgrade my wheels to be more aero and with my limited knowledge it sounded like full carbon is the way to go.
Correct, the B2 is rim brakes.
Sounds like clincher is the way to go. Thanks for explaining the differences
I am a light rider, about 145lbs. Sounds like 60/60 is the going to be the way to go.
I'll check out HED. Thank you for the recommendation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tompigs7 wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade to a carbon aero wheelset on my Felt B2. I am training for Ironman Maryland right now but I'm not really sure where to begin as far as what kind of wheels I should get. Clincher or tubular? What rim height? Should I have different rim heights for the front and back wheels? Are these the right questions I should be asking and how do you decide what is best? Is there a standard configuration most people run for long distance triathlon? I am looking for an all around solid carbon wheel I can use in 70.3 or full Ironman race and train with. Thanks!

It is a relatively good time to be buying decent used wheels with many changing to disc brakes.
My advice: Clinchers first and foremost....a lot easier from a race perspective if you do flat (in terms of spares etc, although some will argue it is no big deal).
Depth: varies slightly depending on the courses you will race on. A rear disc will only give you a marginal benefit over a deep section and the deep section will be more versatile than a disc so I would avoid a disc unless you can find one in your budget in addition to another rear wheel. I have Zipp 404's, 808's and a Super 9 disc, and depends on the course etc as to what I will ride on the day. Last IM ran my disc and an 808 up front, pancake flat course.
Brands: many good ones out there and many not so good. I obviously like Zipp but there is likely a fair amount of marketing in their wheels which may not actually match performance benefits compared to other cheaper wheels. I have actually gone with some lesser known but cheaper brands on my new disc brake build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tompigs7 wrote:
....I am a light rider, about 145lbs. Sounds like 60/60 is the going to be the way to go....
Just to be clear, most people, myself included wouldn't worry too much about what's on the back from a wind or rider weight perspective. It's the front that can be twitchy in the wind. I think around 60mm front and 90mm rear should be fine for you unless you want something that will look more balanced on your road bike or will be lighter for hilly routes. I personally use 62.5mm front and 85mm rear and have never felt the need for a shallower rear even in very windy conditions. Having said that I am quite a bit heavier. If I was buying again, I might consider the 62.5mm both front and back plus a disc wheel-cover. But that would be specifically because I'd prefer the dual 62.5s for my road bike.
Quote Reply