Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend good road cycling vacation spots within 3-4 hours of Philadelphia, New York or Maryland? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid has a lot to offer. Blue Ridge parkway. More distant, Asheville.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
Lake Placid has a lot to offer. Blue Ridge parkway. More distant, Asheville.

well, Skyline Drive is basically an extension of Blue Ridge Parkway, and is quite a bit closer to Philly/Maryland (though still 3.5 hours from Philly).

Further north along that ridge is also really nice, basically the steep hills immediately west of U.S. 15 (near Frederick).

Near Philly, there's a lot of good riding in Bucks County and Somerset/Hunterdon Counties in NJ.

As for NY, Hunter (basically the ridges west of the Hudson, including climbs such as Devil's Kitchen)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of the Catskills plenty of amazing riding (assuming you like hills) with very little traffic.

Since you mention Maryland, the are around Cumberland is pretty nice as well.
Some very good riding in Bucks/Lehigh/Berks county PA but I don't know if it's a "vacation destination" as such.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can vacation at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland, site of the SavageMan triathlon, and do the Garrett County Gran Fondo route.

Duke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the riding isn’t particularly exciting but out in eastern shore, maryland you have some good vacation spots with roads to ride. st michaels or cambridge. cambridge is home to eagleman and IMMD. it’s scenic but flat roads for riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out in Delaware County in the Catskills the riding is fantastic. Steep hard hills and no traffic with gorgeous scenery. Check out hotel in Roxbury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
State College has some pretty good riding, flats, rollers, and decent climbs.

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [g_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_tri wrote:
State College has some pretty good riding, flats, rollers, and decent climbs.

I would second this, lots of fun places to ride near State College. Check in with Freeze Thaw Cycles or the Bicycle Shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a bit further of a drive but you could rent a home on Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke, VA and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and vicinity. Lots of water sports on the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Road Cycling Vacation Spots Near Philadelphia, New York or Maryland [tcesni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Hampshire or Vermont.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in southern Maryland but from Bucks county originally. I will agree on the previous comments about skyline and deep Creek lake.
However, different versions of riding. Skyline is a constant slow grind that doesn't hurt during the ride (in my opinion). It's doable as the inclines aren't super steep. However, Deep Creek is freaking hard and non-stop intensity. You'll HR will be maxed out almost the whole time.

I'd also suggest Lancaster area for the covered bridge rides.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide, and how the ride goes.
Quote Reply