Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner
Quote | Reply
So...does anyone have an idea about how to calculate this? Currently 205lbs.

Whenever I see the reviews out there, well, all the reviewers are tiny people. Not many people that are in the 170+ category.

So how do we calculate this, or do I just go by feel? The Bondi 6 lasted me until about 380 miles before I started to feel it as dead. But then I'll read some posts from people who can get 500 miles etc.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bro 380mi is spectacular

My Nike ZF2s and ZF3s only go for 120-180mi on average. I had 4 pairs of ZF2s and have 4 pairs of ZF3s but will probably get more ZF3s.

Iā€™m around 179-183lbs currently. My right forefoot strike usually wears down the shoes directly under my pinky toes.

I can only dream of 380mi wow

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 148-150 pounds, and get 700-1000 miles on Bondi 6's. I'm currently on my 3rd pair, and I hope they never quit making them.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go by feel

people are going to get different mileage out of a shoe. You can reasonably expect 300-600 out of pair of shoes.

I realize the high range represents 100% more miles. The lighter and/or more economical runner is going to get more miles. The heavier or less economical runner is going to get less.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go by feel for sure. Shoes are so individual, even the same model shoe can age differently between each pair. I used to run in Nike Frees. I got close to 700 miles out of one pair and then the other pair started feeling dead around 500 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, feel.

Even for two runners of the same weight, a midfoot striker is going to put less stress on the foam than a hard heel striker. I've also found that treadmill running does far less damage than asphalt.

I'm 180, and just shy of 400 road miles on a pair of Epic Reacts. They are definitely not as springy as they once were, but they aren't giving me any niggles and I'm guessing they will make it to 500 before I break down and start a new pair.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 180 lbs., and I only get 350 miles out of my Asics GT-2000 shoes. If I go much over, my knees get sore.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
go by feel

people are going to get different mileage out of a shoe. You can reasonably expect 300-600 out of pair of shoes.

I realize the high range represents 100% more miles. The lighter and/or more economical runner is going to get more miles. The heavier or less economical runner is going to get less.

In my experience there is enormous difference in how durable different models are. Some HOKA models i find wear down very quickly (f.ex the new Rincon - great shoe and good feel, but the soft foam seems to make it wear down pretty fast). On the other side I've had Cliftons that were good all the way until the upper fell apart/started tearing (some times past 500 miles). Mizuno Wave rider lasted a good 450 miles - same did Brooks Flow. So biggest factor for me is the model. Obviously some racing flats will fall apart way sooner than a heavy trainer. Had some ultra-light New Balance 1600s that lasted like 120 km and they were completely toast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It also depends on surface. I got well over 2000 miles out of some Clifton 1ā€™s that weā€™re only treadmill shoes. Iā€™ve found the latest Clifton 1 re-release isnā€™t as robust in terms of durability. Both feel on the body and construction.

I have a pair of the ā€˜newā€™ 1ā€™s that only have around 500 outdoor miles and my right lower shin hurts a bit after running in them - a bit disappointing, as I got at least 600-700 outdoor miles from each pair of the original ones.

My only experience with the Bondi was the second version, which was way too bouncy for me.

Iā€™m around 165-175 lbs depending on time of year.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got over 1000 miles on a pair of New Balance shoes at 270 lbs. Some shoes have lasted almost as long. Others have squished down after just a few hundred miles. Most of my miles are off-road, if I put in a lot of miles on the road, the outside heel wears off where I scuff them.

Have neutral feet but wore heavy motion-control shoes for most of my 30+ years running because they lasted longer, and not much else available in size 16. My feet shrunk about 5 years ago and I found I could wear a smaller size and tried Hoka and that's what I've been wearing almost exclusively the last 5 years. The Hoka midsoles seem to last forever. Unfortunately, the uppers tend to fall apart quickly. Only one pair, some Bondi, lasted long enough that the midsole squished down to the outside enough that I gave up on them after 700+ miles.

That's a long-winded way to say that I'm not sure that weight is the major factor in shoe life.
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Jun 18, 20 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You asked for it. This is a subject where the outliers love to chime in. It was inevitable the outliers who get 1000 miles out of there shoes would jump into this discussion. Even the heavy guy who gets 1000 miles out of his shoe.

There is no answer to this except the one you gave. The shoe feels dead and you replace them. This has been the rule and the argument since running shoes were first developed. My theory on why one runner can get 1000 miles and one runner can only get 380 miles on a shoe is this.

When the foam goes flat it stops absorbing and dispersing the impact force. The human body is perfect in itā€™s design. Our body can absorb and disperse impact force. Jump off a step and what happens, your knees bend and absorb all of the force. Some people are simply better and absorbing the force and I think itā€™s those people who are the outliers getting 1000 miles out of shoes. Most of us depending on the force we apply at impact will get 300-500 miles out of any normal shoe. I say normal because their are lots of shoes that are so soft they wear out at a faster rate.

For years and probably still today, people who wear Asics generally say this ā€œI love my Asics but they wear out too fastā€ They say this as they are replacing their Asics with another pair of Asics. Now if you are Asics or maybe worked at Asics and now are working somewhere else, would you try to build a super durable running shoe?

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
My theory on why one runner can get 1000 miles and one runner can only get 380 miles on a shoe is this.

When the foam goes flat it stops absorbing and dispersing the impact force. The human body is perfect in itā€™s design. Our body can absorb and disperse impact force.

Those New Balance that I got 1000+ miles from 20 years ago didn't really have any give to begin with:

I had some Altra Paradigm that lasted 100 miles if that before they were squished beyond any usefulness. Had some NB where pieces of the outsole fell off in less than 100 miles.

College track ('81 or '82) we got these cushy Nike trainers that everyone was excited about. We had been running in the waffle racers. I was a skinny ~205 lbs then. The other guys loved the cushy ones but they went flat for me in about a week.

Had some Mizuno something that was supposed to be for big guys. Ran a marathon in them but they squished down pretty fast. Lots of Brooks Beasts and Asics Kayanos over the years. They would last ~400 miles before squishing too much or I'd just get a hankering for new shoes. A couple different NB Herman Munster shoes were among my favorites, lasted a long time like a good pair of boots, and the boots were probably lighter.

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first running coach ran in the adidas Marathon Trainer. There are some comments you never forget. This is what he said about his Marathon Trainer. ā€œThey donā€™t feel all that good until I get to 1000 miles then they feel just right for another 1000 milesā€

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s funny this came up today. I was asked to chime in on this subject for GTN and it went live today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oniHRKu_sfg

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another data point on those same shoes. I am 160-167 depending and have 356/366 on two pair of ZF1 and 304 on my ZF3. All 3 have more life left on them both cushion wise and outsole wear. So a huge difference between us which is very interesting. I also have 359 on my OG VaporFly and 234 on my Flyknit ones with some life left too. Only have had to add some shoe goo to the bottom in a few places where there is a little wear.

plant_based wrote:
bro 380mi is spectacular

My Nike ZF2s and ZF3s only go for 120-180mi on average. I had 4 pairs of ZF2s and have 4 pairs of ZF3s but will probably get more ZF3s.

Iā€™m around 179-183lbs currently. My right forefoot strike usually wears down the shoes directly under my pinky toes.

I can only dream of 380mi wow

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heavier (195) and will get around 200 or so out of my Saucony Ride. That is for the longer workouts. Then I get a new pair and relegate the old long pair to the shorter OTB runs, probably another 100 before they become casual kicks. I do not track this, but my gauge is when different things start to hurt after the run. Maybe it's the arch, shins, knees, excessive soreness, but something won't be right and I know it's time to make a change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The secret formula is this: Max miles = 10,000 x (shoe size, american)/(runner weight in lbs)

But seriously, there are many factors here and shoes wear out differently for different people. My feet are wide and I retire most pairs of shoes because they just bust open eventually where the upper attaches to the sole (or the upper ruptures) near the widest part of my foot on the outside (near the base of the 5th metatarsal). This is usually 400-600 miles, but less for some frailer shoes. Wearing 2E shoes helps a bit but generally doesn't change the mode of failure. I'm a little below 160 lbs now; shoes usually wore out the same way for me when I was 20-30 lbs heavier but I didn't track mileage on them then.
Last edited by: twcronin: Jun 18, 20 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe lifetime based on weight of the Runner [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Itā€™s funny this came up today. I was asked to chime in on this subject for GTN and it went live today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oniHRKu_sfg

Interesting piece. Good job.

I've never seen a pair of OC shoes in real life and have never met anyone who wore them. Are they popular in the UK?

Regarding air units, I did have a pair of Nike Air basketball shoes and a pair of Nike Air running shoes where the air unit popped. They're just a flat tire and have to be thrown away after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run somewhere in the 165-180 range depending on how much ice cream I have been eating. I go for about 400 miles and switch out shoes. I used to run in brooks ghosts/glycerins but had issues with the newer ghosts and have recently been running in mizuno wave riders, so pretty durable shoes. I could get more miles but whatā€™s the big deal if I buy an extra pair of shoes a year if it makes me feel better and feel like I am increasing my running longevity. Some people could run barefoot and be fine so saying they get 1000+ miles is all relative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2015 pegasus mustve had over 1000 miles on them. Only tossed them because the knitting was getting warped from 100 runs in the rain

I've never understood shoes going 'bad'. I never put on a worn shoe and thought 'yep this feels terrible'. If theyre falling apart then yeah replace it but whats the explanation for a shoe lifetime?

Strava
Quote Reply