Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whoop for golf, seriously?
Quote | Reply
Just saw this come across my FB feed: Whoop for golfers.

I don’t get it, enlighten me.

I played for 20 years and my senior year of HS was in a foursome playing against future US Open champ Webb Simpson. So I could play a bit. I got waxed, but did alright. Given my experience I seriously don’t get how that kind of device could work for a golfer.

Maybe I drank too much and can’t do some gym plyo and range balls that day according to the device.

I’d think a big spend on a laptop based swing analysis station you always take to the range would be worth more. I made a crude one 15 years ago I would take with me.

Just made me chuckle a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Whoop for golf, seriously? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, it makes a certain amount of sense to me for the tour guys who are supposedly using them.

You were better than me, I was about a 13 when I stopped playing a few years ago, but I'm reminded of a club fitting a while ago. Fitter had the equipment you're talking about, I swung a few hundred times, etc. Then he was going over the data with me and only took the middle 80 swings or so. Basically I got warm, then swung a driver a bunch. After warming up my swing speed and swing was consistent for 80ish swings, then fell off a cliff. So it's not unlike any other physical training where you can be productive for a time then suddenly not, and training is about maximizing productive time.
Quote Reply
Re: Whoop for golf, seriously? [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I figured, but since I pounded golf balls all the time I knew already how many to hit in a session. A balance between muscle memory and the practical nature of you're not utilizing the same exact shot type back to back on the real course also.

It didn't feel like rocket science.

Also, I just knew from experience how to transition to hitting balls and what % swings to use when. Once an adult and not competing any longer, I actually got better. I could toss in some gym a couple times a week. I got my driver "carry" up to about 310. And I'm not a tall guy.

My routine I'd do:
-putt for 15min to clear the head
-short game for 15min
-pitching distance for 15min
-light stretch
-short irons at lower % power
-short irons at full power
-middle/long irons
-some driver/3 wood for "dessert"
-short irons at lower % power
-putt/chip
-grab a soda
-go walk some holes
Quote Reply
Re: Whoop for golf, seriously? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Golfers are numerous and affluent....and (kinda like triathletes) have a reputation of being willing to buy expensive gadgets if they think it will help their game.

Personally I think its best use in golf is as an excuse generator. "My drives are short today because my Whoop score this am was 40."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply