Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again?
Quote | Reply
So, I will always hold on to my Giro Ad 2 cuz it's still super fast even though it's ebaying at $25.

But, I'm looking for an aero roadie helmet that I could crossover to the tri position.

Anyone with data or tests on this kind of thing?

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of tests on aero road helmets.

IIRC the trend has been towards the specialized working most often for most people.

The A2 usually doesn't land in the top 3-4 aero helmets anymore.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized Evade or Bontrager Ballista. My experience from field testing is that aero road helmets are very sensitive to head position. So the difference between head high and turtling with my Giro Aerohead might be 8watts but the difference with my Ballista might be closer to 15watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Bontrager Ballista

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the giro vanquish, as it comes with a eye shield, and only 2% slower than their teardrop helpmet

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What helmets would you pick these days that are constantly near the top for most people? If I recall once upon a time you'd have said the LG p-09 and the Giro A2, but now.....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The three typically mentioned are the Vanquish, Ballista, and Evade. There is a lot of testing on all these, but with the caveat that aero helmet performance is very individual. Also worth noting is that aero road helmets are optimized for head/body position on a road bike (vs. turtleing in aero)

A good rule of thumb is that good aero road lids perform ~1/2way between standard road helmets and the best TT helmets (rough agreement here: https://www.220triathlon.com/...he-type-really-make/). They will be slower for most folks than the A2.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Evade.
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried a bunch different brands in a large store and picked the one that fit the best. Turns out that some well known brands that were tested to be very aero didn't fit well on my head despite trying different sizes. I ended up getting a POC. I prefer a helmet that after a while i forget i'm wearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head the Giro aerohead. 98% of the time that seems to be The Helmet. Now if you're in the M45-49 or going to race 50-54 (damn when did I get so old) next year then I'd suggest using a regular road helmet!

The POC cerebel seems to do quite well

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which helmet to get for Aero Road boost but could help if I ever race a tri again? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Off the top of my head the Giro aerohead. 98% of the time that seems to be The Helmet. Now if you're in the M45-49 or going to race 50-54 (damn when did I get so old) next year then I'd suggest using a regular road helmet!

The POC cerebel seems to do quite well

LOL. I'm right there with you brother! But as an old guy, I don't give a s*** what people think so I will probably stick with my Giro Vintage 2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it.

That gives me 4 great helmets to think about. I'll really never know as I won't be investing in the time or money to wind tunnel it. I just need you wise guys to advise which helmets tend to do consistently well* and which ones to stay away from.

When I dig into it myself, I always seem to end up with bias so who knows what to believe.

Thanks for the help, all!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply