Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

kickr core power readings
Quote | Reply
Just bought one. Updated firmware and performed multiple spin-downs having warmed it up first.Still reports on average around 10-20 watts lower than my p1 pedals. Appreciate its further back than the pedals, but drive chain is very clean and expected some closer readings.

Any tips that might help improve this?
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [chatlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its probably your pedals and the core is accurate. P1 pedals are single sided so if you have an imbalance and are producing say 54% of power on the side the power meter is on then thats all it would take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickt is very accurate. Your pedals maybe not? As k a friend with a power meter to do a little ride on your new device.
I am quite sure this reality check might come in as a disappointment :-(
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Its probably your pedals and the core is accurate. P1 pedals are single sided so if you have an imbalance and are producing say 54% of power on the side the power meter is on then thats all it would take.

Thanks both - I have P1 dual sided and compared them with other PMs in the past and they are pretty much spot on. Seems to be the core that's on the low side for some reason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Powertap P1S (single sided) pedals, and they read around 20 watts higher than the current two sets of Assioma pedals I now have, along with two trainers (Hammer and Kickr Core). In other words, my Kickr Core is consistent with my 3 other power devices, and the P1S was the outlier.

Not saying your Core is accurate or not, but just wanted to provide another data point for you.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I had Powertap P1S (single sided) pedals, and they read around 20 watts higher than the current two sets of Assioma pedals I now have, along with two trainers (Hammer and Kickr Core). In other words, my Kickr Core is consistent with my 3 other power devices, and the P1S was the outlier.

Not saying your Core is accurate or not, but just wanted to provide another data point for you.

Thanks and very Interesting. Ive tested my p1 pedals with other crank and BB based meters and they've been extremely close, living up to their reviews.

Im reading lots of other reports of power difference from the core, some reporting it a little high (mostly the kickr, not core) and many reporting the core under reporting by the same 10-20 watt amount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try contacting Wahoo? I would definitely want my power pedals and trainer to match pretty closely so that you can get consistency inside and outside.

Alternatively, you could use your pedals as the power source instead of the Kickr. The Kickr can still be controlled by whatever program you use, but the program would get its power readings from the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, my friend just tested on a Kickr and with P1 pedals and the pedals averaged like 60 watts less than the kickr. Obviously something is off but I have trouble believing the kickr is lower than P1s.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 14, 20 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention that I sent my P1S pedals back to Powertap to have them recalibrated, since they read so much differently than my other power meters. Even after getting them back, the P1S still read much higher than my other devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was not a discernible difference when I switched from Powertap P1s to P2M. I had great experience with P1s unlike many others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I forgot to mention that I sent my P1S pedals back to Powertap to have them recalibrated, since they read so much differently than my other power meters. Even after getting them back, the P1S still read much higher than my other devices.

Leg discrepancy? I usually have 51% left bias but i know many others have a higher imbalance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kickr core reads about 20 watts higher than my Quarq. Who knows
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My core reads 25w over my left only stages. Aero data in real life backs up the Core likely being the more accurate unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at that, but my Assioma pedals show me at 50/50 typically. I rode 40 miles outside yesterday with a 49.8 / 50.2 balance.

But that is going by electronic equipment that we can’t truly know is accurate. My Assiomas read power lower than the guys I ride with, so I don’t know whether it’s the pedals or I’m a more efficient cyclist.

Either way, the most important thing for me is that my pedals read consistently and match very closely to what my trainer reads. The big power numbers are nice but ultimately we’re chasing performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did a comparison between core and Quarq PM few weeks back. Had session pre set on zwift and used core for zwift but had PM connected to garmin. Roughly 2% off

Panned session Interval length Wahoo Kicker Quarq PM Actual Diff W Diff % 185w 5min 185 188 -3 -1.62% 260w 10min 260 254 6 2.31% 175w 5min 175 170 5 2.86% 270w 10min 270 263 7 2.59% 175w 5min 175 168 7 4.00% 280w 10min 280 273 7 2.50% 175w 5min 175 166 9 5.14% 290w 10min 290 284 6 2.07% 175w 5min 175 168 7 4.00% 300w 10min 300 293 7 2.33% 175w 5min 175 165 10 5.71% 310w 10min 310 303 7 2.26%
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodneyr1981 wrote:

Did a comparison between core and Quarq PM few weeks back. Had session pre set on zwift and used core for zwift but had PM connected to garmin. Roughly 2% off

Panned session Interval length Wahoo Kicker Quarq PM Actual Diff W Diff % 185w 5min 185 188 -3 -1.62% 260w 10min 260 254 6 2.31% 175w 5min 175 170 5 2.86% 270w 10min 270 263 7 2.59% 175w 5min 175 168 7 4.00% 280w 10min 280 273 7 2.50% 175w 5min 175 166 9 5.14% 290w 10min 290 284 6 2.07% 175w 5min 175 168 7 4.00% 300w 10min 300 293 7 2.33% 175w 5min 175 165 10 5.71% 310w 10min 310 303 7 2.26%

Test didn't come out in table format. Attached instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I havent noticed as I use my Garmin vector power reading on Zwift, so I don't pay attention to the Core readings. I like them to be similar as well, so I can connect the core as a power source and see the difference. I'll reply back.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core power readings [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, really appreciate the feedback on this. Prob sounds petty to most but im one for my numbers and accuracy

For those who are reporting more accurate numbers, I assume you've just used the wahoo app to perform a spin down ten or so mins after a warm up? Seems a bit overkill to do this every couple of weeks mind, but that's what they recommend..
Quote Reply