Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ?
Quote | Reply
Actually I'm building two front wheels with a pair of 16h hubs.
One will be 60 mm and the other 88 mm. Tubular rims. Yes, tubular rims.
They will be used for short TT's mostly (15km to 40 km).
I'll be using Veloflex Record tubular tires (the new ones are reported 23 mm).

I'm scratching my head as wich shape will make the best compromise.

So people who are used to drive a deep section front wheel, what are your comments on wider VS thinner, regarding stability, "aero-ness", etc.. ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the rim profile?
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "building" you mean, making your own carbon molding?

You should start looking into the 105 rule

But companies spend many millions coming with optimal shapes... and that is a subject where smart people will argue with each other for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Narrow is aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With same design, narrow rim with narrow tire will be faster at zero yaw. I realize that goes against current trends but it's true. Also I believe the tubular corsa speed is a hair faster than the veloflex record. (I've only tested this indirectly though.) If you want I'd be happy to head down to the garage and measure installed/inflated width for that tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
23 mm is "U" shaped and 25 mm kind of a wide torroidal shape:

LOuis :-)

Last edited by: louisn: Jun 12, 20 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd favor the wide one for 23mm+, the narrow for 22mm-. Just a guess, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the 25. Tubulars tend to be a bit misshapen where the tire and rim meet so I am going to guess that the transition to the 25 works better anytime there is much of a breeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are these the actual profiles?

The bottom one looks like something I would draw while intoxicated.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I’m going for 22mm TT tubs I went for 23mm profile on one of the rims. Déception.
Will post pics soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 60mm 25's (of that shape) front and back on my track bike.

I've got clinchers but I really wish I'd have bought tubulars for the track.

If I buy track race wheels they will definitely be tubulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
By "building" you mean, making your own carbon molding?

You should start looking into the 105 rule

But companies spend many millions coming with optimal shapes... and that is a subject where smart people will argue with each other for a long time.

how does one make their own carbon wheel?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the 50 mm X 23 mm wide rim I got, with a Continental Podium TT (22 mm) tubular on, as an everyday or "windy days" TT wheel. I also ordered a 25 mm wide 88 mm deep one. Veloflex Record 23 mm tubs should go on that one :

Last edited by: louisn: Dec 20, 20 6:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...I'd be using Conti Tempo II's and they only come in 19's and 22's. Looks like the narrower rim would be better for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Building a front 88 mm wheel. Consensus: 23 or 25 mm wide ? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here’s the Veloflex Record 23 tubular on the 88mm x 25mm wide rim. I really like the shape !
https://imgur.com/a/mEbSjuC
Last edited by: louisn: Jan 7, 21 21:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks nice, you don't think that tire is too narrow? Hard to tell from picts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Veloflex Record 23 mm/25 mm wide rim fit is better than the Conti Tempo 22 mm/23 mm wide rim fit, but definitely not an "eye expert" aerowise.
IMO for TT/Tri applications that is, the "rolling band" of the Record is very narrow. On sharp corners, when leaning the bike, grip would certainly be an issue but not especially related to rim width (IMO), as the tub sits low in the rim channel, and won't bulge or move sideways. This one will be our "nice tarmac, dry day" TT front wheel.

Quote Reply