Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Houston, we have a problem [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
Another way that ICU beds are becoming freed up is death. :(
I was calling a positive CT result to a doc in south Texas the other night and asked how it was going, since I knew they had high numbers: he said they had had 3 codes from Covid19 patients in the last few hours and none of them made it.
So yeah, 'we're doing fine.'
It's freakin' depressing.
To anyone who thinks this is a hoax, where were all these abnormalities in my first 25 years of practice? This is new, and a bad player.

Are you a radiologist? I have a question on this. My family got something eerily similar to covid 19 end of feb/ early March. When it was only a China thing supposedly. My husband got a chest X-ray - is that something that could be reviewed now to see if it looked covidy or was there enough knowledge the end of Feb that signs would have been caught back then already? My oxygen sat level was unusually low when I went for a regular physical and felt fine- but got sick two days later. (Husband got chest x-ray a few days before based on cough not going away and maybe other dr determined stuff.)
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, we have a problem [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, radiologist. CT shows the areas of affected lung way better than a chest xray. Looking back at some of the chest xrays, either they look clear or very subtle findings in the early stages. One thing I noticed in the last couple of weeks, as I'm seeing more Covid19 (Texas) is that patients often have been in the ER a few days prior, had a normal cxr, then come back in with continued/worsened symptoms and get a new cxr with subtle findings and a CT with more definite areas of abnormality. Not everyone gets CT though (some places don't want to tie up their scanner with a known infected pt and have to have the CT down for sanitizing in case they get an emergency like trauma or stroke).

But, to your question, if you think your husband had it in Feb/March-- unless he (or you) has continued symptoms, not sure if it would make a difference if it looked "covidy" or not at this point? He could have had another viral pneumonia, flu, etc.

Ok, just looked at your old posts-- was trying to remember if you said you had it or not? Looks like you *might* have, but not confirmed? Maybe antibody test might tell you, though they are not specific. And if you are both mostly recovered, it probably doesn't make too much clinical difference to know at this point (unless they ever decide if there is long-lasting immunity).
I do hope y'all are both doing better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! We’re all doing better. I’m just a data analyst by trade- so follow the numbers and trends out of a geeky interest. So just curious if there was a way retrospectively to look at potential earlier cases based on newer knowledge. Nobody in my family was tested as we were all sick before the first test was even given in CO- and that was only for people with travel history to China and in the hospital.

A few of my co-workers ended up hospitalized in Jan for pneumonia after CES and a lot of people think it was spreading there in early Jan and that drove the Bay Area early cases.

Our doc said the antibody tests are not accurate enough to be worth doing- and all they will do is give you a sense of security that there is little data to back up.

So just an intellectual curiosity if you could check previous data and know more.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, we have a problem [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
It’s cute the NBA thinks they’re starting their season in a couple of weeks.

I said a long time ago that none of the 4 major sports could complete a season this year. I'm still convinced of that. They may start, but I don't think they will finish. The NBA has the best chance with the short season in a bubble this Summer. But it still looks bleak.

Colleges are catching on and scrapping fall sports already. I think the rest are just biding their time until they make the call too.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
Another way that ICU beds are becoming freed up is death. :(
I was calling a positive CT result to a doc in south Texas the other night and asked how it was going, since I knew they had high numbers: he said they had had 3 codes from Covid19 patients in the last few hours and none of them made it.
So yeah, 'we're doing fine.'
It's freakin' depressing.
To anyone who thinks this is a hoax, where were all these abnormalities in my first 25 years of practice? This is new, and a bad player.

The obituary section of the Houston Chronicle was 43 pages this past Sunday.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, we have a problem [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The obituary section of the Houston Chronicle was 43 pages this past Sunday.

I keep seeing this stat. How long is it usually? 43 pages seems like a lot, but if it's normally 30, it wouldn't be as bad as it sounds at first blush.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply

Prev Next