Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming in these times..
Quote | Reply
https://www.si.com/...ut-water-coronavirus

good story on how the Olympians are coping..

"For each individual swimmer, finding the ideal body position to cut through water in the fastest and most efficient manner is the first key. Maintaining that body position—and the kinetics that go with it: hand shape, wrist bend, forearm placement, elbow position, and so on—is the key to the key. And training yourself into ridiculous cardiovascular shape to hold that technique as fatigue tries to break you down, that is the key to the key to the key."

our pools just opened, but first-come-first-served for a lane - still working 8 to 5, don't have time to go and wait for a lane to open up.. boo.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm finding a lot of people willing to split a lane at my pool. Only 1 person said no and I now offer to split when I see someone waiting on deck. My club lets us police ourselves on social distancing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well put. Makes it sound so easy!

For what it's worth, I have heard pools are relatively low risk for spreading COVID. Well, the water doesn't transmit it well anyway. Human to human contact is still a high risk. But I hope people are willing to be level headed, safe and willing to share lanes. I am excited for when ours open up.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my pool is closed till probably sept at the earliest... at least I have the ability to open water swim now so I can get in some swimming. Plus its very easy to social distance in lake michigan :)

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pools in Finland opened up on June 1st. I saw the sign yesterday at a 25m pool saying no more than 10 people to a lane. WTF
Welcome To Finland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool opened up this week. It’s an outdoor recreation pool, so mostly kids, with four 25 yard lap lanes... first come first serve. 45 person max allowed in, each hour. If the pool reaches capacity, you are only allowed an hour swim. If not, you can stay. If the pool reaches max capacity, and a line forms, the “over an hour” folks will be asked to leave. I’ve gotten to the pool early, gotten right in, first in the water, and had a lane to myself. The pool has yet to reach capacity, and I’m sunburned, sore and happy.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jun 12, 20 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a typically morose joke circulating around Helsinki, Finland:

"So, we now have to stay 2m away from each other? Why so close?"
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local pool is opening next week, with reservations.

Don't think masters is opening yet because it's considered a 'group class'

Does chlorinated water kill covid immediately? I would think so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Grand Junction, CO the city won't open their outdoor pool until 4th of July weekend. CMU opened their pool last week. First come, first served. 10 lanes with 1 person per lane. 60 minutes is their requested time to swim. Fruita, west of GJT, opened their indoor pool on 3 June. Register online for a lane. 1 person per lane. 45 minutes to swim.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our County rec centers are opening pools with lane reservations,. but my city owned rec center is opening with 11 lanes 3 per lane.
Quite a difference. Can't wait to hit the pool after work today.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YMCA pool in Indiana has been open since early May, 2 to a lane and not using the Ys kickboards but nothing has really changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pools still closed here. I’m worried about drowning the first time back.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it's well known but someone posted this new "Swimply" website recently, thread didn't get a lot of action. It's basically airbnb for pools:

https://swimply.com

Not a lot of lap pools in my area (biggest I can find is 44 feet) but there's one flume for $45/hour I might try.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Pools still closed here. I’m worried about drowning the first time back.
I was surprised at how good I felt after 3 months off. Honestly, it didn’t feel like I took any time off. However, my watch said differently. I swam 2.5 miles yesterday, but instead of a 1:3x pace, I swam a 1:5x pace, and am sore as hell.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: swimming in these times.. [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea me too. This is longest I've been away from swimming for at least 50 years.

Pools here aren't opening until end of Sept. From what I've heard other's describe sounds like it will be unpleasant and stressful just to get to use a lane.

I bought a Cybex water rower that I'm finally getting today after a covid scare at the manufacturing plant.
Quote Reply