Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with fitting
Quote | Reply
I am buying my first tri bike and need some help with which size to buy. Can anyone offer advice?

First I know its best to get a bike fit prior but with social distancing my bike shop has no clue when they will start that. I would like to buy a bike in my size range and then get it properly fitted once things open again. I have a question about the Trek Speed Concept and Argon E-117. Also, I am 5'11 with a 32in inseam.

The Trek says the following:
Medium frame fits a rider height of 5.57 - 5.8.9 and inseam of 30.3 - 32.7
Large frame fits a rider height of 5'8.9 - 6'1.2 and inseam of 32.3 - 34.6 - I would assume large but not sure if height is more important or inseam.

Argon E-117 does not give a rider estimate like Trek but their medium frame is a 54-56 and the large is 57-59.

Anyone have advice on this Trek frame is best and or if the medium Argon is right.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with fitting [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:
I am buying my first tri bike and need some help with which size to buy. Can anyone offer advice?

First I know its best to get a bike fit prior but with social distancing my bike shop has no clue when they will start that. I would like to buy a bike in my size range and then get it properly fitted once things open again. I have a question about the Trek Speed Concept and Argon E-117. Also, I am 5'11 with a 32in inseam.

Large frame fits a rider height of 5'8.9 - 6'1.2 and inseam of 32.3 - 34.6 - I would assume large but not sure if height is more important or inseam.

Argon E-117 does not give a rider estimate like Trek but their medium frame is a 54-56 and the large is 57-59.

Anyone have advice on this Trek frame is best and or if the medium Argon is right.

Thank you.

I have the same inseam, but I'm 2cm shorter (google for inches ;) ). I need the M of the Speedconcept. Tested both the M and the L, and L is waaaaay to big for me.

Also sat on an Argon. Two different types. S is too small. M does fit (but only sat on it shortly, and never tried a L, whick will be too big i recon)

I wouldn't trust an online general sizing chart and would always try to test the frame (unless you got stack/reach number that were professionally measured). I test the frames from people I met at races and friends that have those bikes. Most people are helpfull if you ask for a short test-ride.

So, to be shot. Get a fit, or try riding the frame in the two sizes, or just buy the M based on my opinion ;)
Last edited by: Cnasta: Jun 9, 20 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so ya know, i misread that as "Help with flirting"

There's gotta be a thread on that around here someplace

Carry on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Help with fitting [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also looking for some guidance on a Speed Concept frame size.
5'11 with 32" inseam.
What size frame would fit best. medium or large?
Any help would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with fitting [Eskimeers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I spent so much time researching this before I bought my speed concept. I am 5'9.5 and inseam a touch longer than 32 inches. I am on a size large speed concept with 160mm crankset. I don't think the medium would have had enough reach for me as I am pretty much maxed out as is on the large right now. I spent so much time trying to figure out what size was right for me. The shop I purchased form ended up helping me out. If it weren't for them I would have ended up on a medium. I posted a thread a while back to help me get a better fit. This is it:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Bike_Fit_Critique_-_Please!__P7052166/?search_string=nickjo#p7052166

Keep in mind, I was fitting for long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with fitting [NickJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the insight and help.
I roughly measured my old Shiv Geometry at 450 reach/660 stack.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with fitting [Eskimeers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn’t have thought in a million years that you’d get on with a medium SC, unless you have some physical impairment.
I’m 5’9” on a good day, and in standard guise, it was borderline.
Mono plugin has helped quite a bit but you shouldn’t have to do that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:

Thank you.

There's a difference between "sizing" and "fitting". One is arbitrary, S M L etc, and one is definitive and prescriptive. Generally, I find that the bike companies mis-prescribe bike sizes because their system is based on height and inseam which doesn't always correlate, and also under prescribes because of conservatism or industry inertia. Your fit is based on your fit coordinates in the aero position, for triathlon, not UCI limited, not limited by inseam or whatever the bike companies are telling you. You choose the longest bike possible that's still low enough, and that doesn't translate at all to simple inseam methods.

As someone else said, what are your fit coordinates?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply