Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

October 2021 Kona Qualification
Quote | Reply
For the October 2021 race (not the February “2020” race), how is the qualification working at races that would fall within the normal qualification window?

The rescheduled St. George was going to have 75 slots, but when the 2020 Kona got moved, they made it 75 slots for February, and 26 for 2021.

A bunch of races like IM Lou and Chatt reference being 2021 qualifiers on their pages, but based on how they are now offering 2020 slots at Fall races, is that in addition to the originally advertised 40 2021 slots?

P.s. — spare me the response that everything is going to be cancelled anyway and this will all be irrelevant
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing the same thing on the Ironman Texas page. I wonder how they will break down who gets what slots.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A better question is how many that were already qualified October 2020 deferred to oct 2021. There may not be that many slots available . I deferred to October 2021. Do not know the break down of the 1000 already qualified that are going February or October
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
A better question is how many that were already qualified October 2020 deferred to oct 2021. There may not be that many slots available . I deferred to October 2021. Do not know the break down of the 1000 already qualified that are going February or October

I bet close to 2/3 deferred to October. I did, and all but one person that I know that had KQ’d for 2020 deferred to Oct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, all postponed races that are rescheduled for the autumn have both slots (Feb and Oct) and those that are on their normal date (AZ, Fla, etc) all just have slots to the 2021 edition (Oct).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race I'm looking at is in May of 2021 - and I can't find any mention of slots for Kona Oct 2021.
Ugh!
I want to choose a race that has lotsa qualifying spots!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Australia, IM Cairns (rescheduled to Sept) is 75 for Feb 2021 and 26 for Oct 2021. IM Australia (also rescheduled to Sept) is 40 for Feb and 26 for Oct. Clearly still a push to try and fill the Feb slots, which signals a lot of people who have already qualified have elected to race Oct 21 instead of Feb.

And with 26 slots available at these (and it seems plenty of other) races, that means 1 per age group (roughly)...so basically Oct 2021 Kona is gonna be largely made up of age group winners and people who have already qualified.
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [jknipe101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jknipe101 wrote:
In Australia, IM Cairns (rescheduled to Sept) is 75 for Feb 2021 and 26 for Oct 2021. IM Australia (also rescheduled to Sept) is 40 for Feb and 26 for Oct. Clearly still a push to try and fill the Feb slots, which signals a lot of people who have already qualified have elected to race Oct 21 instead of Feb.

And with 26 slots available at these (and it seems plenty of other) races, that means 1 per age group (roughly)...so basically Oct 2021 Kona is gonna be largely made up of age group winners and people who have already qualified.

I'm assuming at races which have spots for both Kona's you can only pick Feb or Oct and not both? So there would be 66 individuals at IMAUS who would pick up a spot for one of the races!
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how I understand it. I KQ'd in December and deferred to Oct 21, so would be strange to race these Sept races cos if I was lucky enough to go well enough to get choice of a slot I couldn't take Oct, and if I took Feb but it got cancelled (or I couldn't travel due to Aussie travel restrictions) then I wouldn't be able to defer to Oct. Won't apply to me since a) I'm not planning to race these races and b) can't see me finishing well enough to get a slot, but I'm not sure how IM is going to handle such cases where people have already got an Oct 21 slot, then take a Feb 21 slot and then Feb gets cancelled (not saying that will happen, but it might, and also I think it'd be a bit foolish of anyone to take a Feb slot if they already had an Oct slot and were of the opinion either Feb will be cancelled or they'll be unable to get there due to their home country travel restrictions).
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [jknipe101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect that any October 2021 slots will be tightly allocated on a roll down basis with the exact number of spots being age group variable. So while a few athletes may get a choice most will only be given the option of Feb 2021. This would explain the lack of clarity over the exact break down at races.

The deferral policy will be spelled out in the terms and conditions of accepting the place but it wouldn't surprise me if October 2021 is not given as an option due to the race already being mostly full. Athletes may be allow deferral to Oct 2022 with the caveat that you have to validate the spot knowing that will force you to race again or it will be Feb 2021 or bust. Offering mainly spots for Feb 2021, but not making this completely clear in the race advertising, may be an effective marketing ploy to get people to sign up for the fall races. It allows them to advertise a ton of Kona slots with the *chance* to racing in October 2021. Races/WTC have a luxury here in terms of being able to define the terms and conditions at the point of offering the athlete a place so nothing has to be agreed before the award ceremony.
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I suspect that any October 2021 slots will be tightly allocated on a roll down basis with the exact number of spots being age group variable. So while a few athletes may get a choice most will only be given the option of Feb 2021. This would explain the lack of clarity over the exact break down at races.

The deferral policy will be spelled out in the terms and conditions of accepting the place but it wouldn't surprise me if October 2021 is not given as an option due to the race already being mostly full. Athletes may be allow deferral to Oct 2022 with the caveat that you have to validate the spot knowing that will force you to race again or it will be Feb 2021 or bust. Offering mainly spots for Feb 2021, but not making this completely clear in the race advertising, may be an effective marketing ploy to get people to sign up for the fall races. It allows them to advertise a ton of Kona slots with the *chance* to racing in October 2021. Races/WTC have a luxury here in terms of being able to define the terms and conditions at the point of offering the athlete a place so nothing has to be agreed before the award ceremony.

This. Those of us who will not KQ better sign up quickly if we want to race without paying for a Foundation or Charity entry ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
For the October 2021 race (not the February “2020” race), how is the qualification working at races that would fall within the normal qualification window?

The rescheduled St. George was going to have 75 slots, but when the 2020 Kona got moved, they made it 75 slots for February, and 26 for 2021.

A bunch of races like IM Lou and Chatt reference being 2021 qualifiers on their pages, but based on how they are now offering 2020 slots at Fall races, is that in addition to the originally advertised 40 2021 slots?

P.s. — spare me the response that everything is going to be cancelled anyway and this will all be irrelevant

So is it irrelevant now that Kona isn't happening? Sorry, just trying to take the lead on Gman. :)
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Waingro wrote:

So is it irrelevant now that Kona isn't happening? Sorry, just trying to take the lead on Gman. :)

we need to get our heads wrapped around and get used to the new normal

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are their so many extra spots for Kona Qualification 2021? How about all the people who qualified for 2020? Why are so many people with 30th place finishes going to Kona? Won’t the 2021 race be packed?
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [flowtracker123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flowtracker123 wrote:
Why are their so many extra spots for Kona Qualification 2021? How about all the people who qualified for 2020? Why are so many people with 30th place finishes going to Kona? Won’t the 2021 race be packed?

Many people outside of the US will be unable to compete due to travel restrictions and quarantine. Australians and New Zealanders will have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they get back. They also require permission to travel internationally.

So there will be more slots for US based athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
flowtracker123 wrote:

Many people outside of the US will be unable to compete due to travel restrictions and quarantine. Australians and New Zealanders will have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they get back. They also require permission to travel internationally.

what kind of "world championships" would that be?
maybe they rename it Kona American Championships for 2021
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

Just the kind that Slowtwitch loves...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
flowtracker123 wrote:

Kona has never been a true world championship for ag’ers.

What do you honestly expect Ironman to do for this year? They are trying to run a business and need to fill the race to make money.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
flowtracker123 wrote:

Kona has never been a true world championship for ag’ers.

What do you honestly expect Ironman to do for this year? They are trying to run a business and need to fill the race to make money.

well, beside all, as far as i remember, there is the parade of nations a couple of days before the race....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think this will last? For 2022?
Quote Reply
Re: October 2021 Kona Qualification [flowtracker123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flowtracker123 wrote:
Do you think this will last? For 2022?

By 2022 affluent countries will have enough vaccines. Australia expects that most people, who want a vaccine, will have one by the end of 2021. The government is already talking about reducing/eliminating quarantine for vaccinated travelers once the general population reaches x% vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
flowtracker123 wrote:

World Series Baseball ....

Many of us remember when the majority of Kona slots were allocated to US based races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
flowtracker123 wrote:

World Series Baseball ....

Many of us remember when the majority of Kona slots were allocated to US based races.

so what?
does it make it a world championships?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again this was the year to do Ironman and qualify. If you’re in North America
Quote Reply