Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike fit question
Quote | Reply
I was scheduled to get my bike fit and then the day before I was supposed to go the shop canceled my appointment due to COVID19. Now, because of the social distancing my bike shop is not doing bike fitting and there is no idea of when it might start back up. I am planning on doing the Tulsa Ironman on May 23rd, 2021 so I would really like to get my bike so I can start training.

My question is, is it absolutely necessary to get a bike fit before buying or can you buy and then get the bike fit to you? I am 5'11 with a 32 inch inseam. I noticed most bike manufactures will state on the their sites that for example a size large will fit 5'9 - 6'2.

Would you be able to use those guidelines from the manufacturer or it is just a waste of time and I just need to wait for who knows how long until we no longer have social distancing?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit question [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to put too fine of a point on this, but a good bike fit is always worth it.

The key word there is "good." I think a shitty bike fit is marginally better than no fit at all.

But, if you want to improve your performance, the best money you can spend is making sure your bike position is as optimized as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:
My question is, is it absolutely necessary to get a bike fit before buying or can you buy and then get the bike fit to you?

You can absolutely get the bike first. You can get in the ballpark with your dimensions. Make sure you buy one with easy adjustability in the bars (stack, reach, tilt).

Do you have a bike in mind?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit question [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
SoonerBorn wrote:
My question is, is it absolutely necessary to get a bike fit before buying or can you buy and then get the bike fit to you?

You can absolutely get the bike first. You can get in the ballpark with your dimensions. Make sure you buy one with easy adjustability in the bars (stack, reach, tilt).

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at a 2017 Trek Speed Concept size large, Argon E-117 size medium (54cm-56cm) and possibly a Kestrel 5000 size medium (55cm)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:
rruff wrote:
SoonerBorn wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at a 2017 Trek Speed Concept size large, Argon E-117 size medium (54cm-56cm) and possibly a Kestrel 5000 size medium (55cm)

perhaps a better question is: what is your budget?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike fit question [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
SoonerBorn wrote:
rruff wrote:
SoonerBorn wrote:

perhaps a better question is: what is your budget?

I think I would like to stay in the $2,000 - $3,000 price range for the bike. Then use the rest of my cash on a nice bike trainer and race wheels if it doesn't already have them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that budget I would focus on a new bike vs a used bike. A P Series 105 for example. Adjustability, current brake tech, fast, and support from a LBS. Where are you located?

I would take the Kestrel off the list regardless.
Quote Reply