Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

British woman breaks Everesting record
Quote | Reply
https://road.cc/...s-mansplained-274213

Someone tell Phil Gaimon to come to England! Can’t guarantee the weather though😂
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frequency the Everesting Record is falling means you could start your attempt and beat your target time, only to find a new record had been set while you were on your bike.

Great work Hannah!
Last edited by: mcalista: Jun 8, 20 3:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
https://road.cc/content/news/british-women-breaks-everesting-wr-gets-mansplained-274213

Someone tell Phil Gaimon to come to England! Can’t guarantee the weather though😂

That's damn impressive! And the top British time too.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that road a little bit and it's far from optimal. It actually varies in gradient between 8 and 20+ % and the road surface isn't perfect. The descent is pretty quick so she'll have wasted less time going downhill than on some other courses, but this also means less rest. There are a couple of heavy braking sections and some undulations to take care going over. This is one hell of a performance.

VAM of 1400 ish (@275 watts!!) on first ascent - not to be sniffed at. You could hold pace in the TDF main peloton doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered about if Winnats pass in the Peakscould be suitable. The surface is reasonably good (certainly by uk standards of shiiite tarmac).

Only issue is if there's numpties burning out their clutches in cars.
Maybe would have been better a few weeks ago before more tourists were back out on roads ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I know that road a little bit and it's far from optimal. It actually varies in gradient between 8 and 20+ % and the road surface isn't perfect. The descent is pretty quick so she'll have wasted less time going downhill than on some other courses, but this also means less rest. There are a couple of heavy braking sections and some undulations to take care going over. This is one hell of a performance.

VAM of 1400 ish (@275 watts!!) on first ascent - not to be sniffed at. You could hold pace in the TDF main peloton doing that.

Her effort went out crazy fast and then dropped quite a bit, and steadily from her very first efforts to her very next efforts and substantially to her later efforts. She also had some efforts at lower average watts climbing the main hill, but her time was faster than some of her earlier ascents with higher watts. It seems a little strange to me, unless she had a crazy tailwind develop 20 minutes later. Her maximum speed of 48 mph for a 10.9% grade, also seems slow. The prior female record holder hit upper 50s with a max of 62 miles per hour on her 10% grade descent. Also, she didn’t have any heart rate data on Strava. Lots of the other Everest attempts had steady watt power for most of the day. Anyway, it just seems suboptimal pacing, with nothing aero such as a road/skinsuit (which could help on descent) yet she crushed the record. Is she that good, that poor planning still crushes the record by nearly an hour?

And... per the poster above, the course is far from optimal. I’m thinking these self reported world records need more proof than a Strava file, without heart rate data.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jun 9, 20 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
She also had some efforts at lower average watts climbing the main hill, but her time was faster than some of her earlier ascents with higher watts. It seems a little strange to me, unless she had a crazy tailwind develop 20 minutes later.

Or there was a headwind earlier on that cleared up. If you've ever ridden in the lakes you'll know how changeable the weather is and it wasn't a fine and clear weekend.

wetswimmer99 wrote:
]Her maximum speed of 48 mph for a 10.9% grade, also seems slow. The prior female record holder hit upper 50s with a max of 62 miles per hour on her 10% grade descent.

48mph is as fast as I would want to go on those roads, the surface isn't perfect and it is fairly undulating in parts. UK roads are generally shit.

wetswimmer99 wrote:
Is she that good... ?

She is a very strong rider and is one of the highest ranked in the UK for #QOMs held. I don't see anything to question the credibility of the ride. Weighted average power was very good but not unbelievable, and she will have excellent w/kg.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 10, 20 2:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the max decent speed.
Totally agree 48mph is scary fast down that road. It's no North American motorway. Narrow, very bobbly in parts with lots of bumps and dips - easy to get air ! Which is the last thing you want coming down there.

Typical photo
https://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/kirkstone-pass/
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus the drystone walls all along the verges. There is nowhere to run off to if you get it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:

Her effort went out crazy fast and then dropped quite a bit, and steadily from her very first efforts to her very next efforts and substantially to her later efforts. She also had some efforts at lower average watts climbing the main hill, but her time was faster than some of her earlier ascents with higher watts. It seems a little strange to me, unless she had a crazy tailwind develop 20 minutes later. Her maximum speed of 48 mph for a 10.9% grade, also seems slow. The prior female record holder hit upper 50s with a max of 62 miles per hour on her 10% grade descent. Also, she didn’t have any heart rate data on Strava. Lots of the other Everest attempts had steady watt power for most of the day. Anyway, it just seems suboptimal pacing, with nothing aero such as a road/skinsuit (which could help on descent) yet she crushed the record. Is she that good, that poor planning still crushes the record by nearly an hour?

And... per the poster above, the course is far from optimal. I’m thinking these self reported world records need more proof than a Strava file, without heart rate data.

Stick to swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:
She also had some efforts at lower average watts climbing the main hill, but her time was faster than some of her earlier ascents with higher watts. It seems a little strange to me, unless she had a crazy tailwind develop 20 minutes later.

Or there was a headwind earlier on that cleared up. If you've ever ridden in the lakes you'll know how changeable the weather is and it wasn't a fine and clear weekend.

wetswimmer99 wrote:
]Her maximum speed of 48 mph for a 10.9% grade, also seems slow. The prior female record holder hit upper 50s with a max of 62 miles per hour on her 10% grade descent.

48mph is as fast as I would want to go on those roads, the surface isn't perfect and it is fairly undulating in parts. UK roads are generally shit.

wetswimmer99 wrote:
Is she that good... ?

She is a very strong rider and is one of the highest ranked in the UK for #QOMs held. I don't see anything to question the credibility of the ride. Weighted average power was very good but not unbelievable, and she will have excellent w/kg.

Sounds like if she had access to an optimal climb, more even pacing strategy, and aero clothing, and not fighting headwinds, she could take loads of time off her current record. She’s impressively strong!!
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jun 10, 20 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [AdamML] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
106.9 Kph on a descent.......she's got bigger ones than me.
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big props to her on the descents, she was terrified of them at some point in her life!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That kind of speed would scare me to death. But then anything over about 60km/h does...
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [AdamML] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She stopped at McDonalds on the way home - I bet she ordered everything and it probably tasted like the best thing everrrrrr - lol.

Amazing job!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:

Aside from the other responses, Pooley is an ex world TT champ, and ex UK road and TT champ as well. She also has a few duathlon world championships after retiring from pro road racing. So, she does have the pedigree.
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:

Aside from the other responses, Pooley is an ex world TT champ, and ex UK road and TT champ as well. She also has a few duathlon world championships after retiring from pro road racing. So, she does have the pedigree.

I was bummed that she quit her GCN job just before they had the push-up challenge. I so wanted to see her crush Si, Dan and Ollie. On second thought, maybe they fired her to avoid the humiliation.
Quote Reply
Re: British woman breaks Everesting record [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My comment was about Hannah Rhodes, the cyclist the OP mentioned.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jul 10, 20 20:10
Quote Reply