Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, but.....

CF boxes are a community as their members identify within that community and the CF community more than their CEO. But Reebok has dropped them and many are going to de-affiliate.

CF tends to have many more on the right side and Glassman is on the far right.

Will be interesting to see what actions local boxes do.

This is a good time to remember that CF is simply a brand, nothing of what is done inside those boxes are new, it's just a collaboration of stuff put together. Some boxes do it very well, others not so much, and then you have the middle.

but can we please all finally understand that CF is not weightlifting? That is an olympic sport and it seems many still don't understand that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t surprise me that the CEO of CrossFit would be a dipshit.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

The CFers I know are pretty left: feminist, LGBTQ+, and so on. I know vegan isn't a right/left thing, but, that's where they kinda tend to go

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

Same here!! Very immature.
Perfect example of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
907Tri wrote:

The CFers I know are pretty left: feminist, LGBTQ+, and so on. I know vegan isn't a right/left thing, but, that's where they kinda tend to go

CF is a cult following and tends to attract people who like that sort of mentality

I was a bodybuilder for years and never could quite grasp the concept of crossfit. It started as simple cross training for sports then morphed into the wierd thing it is today. The athletes are wierdly built, they are good at 100 things but not great at any one thing.

For normal people, its a guaranteed route to injury, with poorly educated instructors teaching unfit individuals olympic lifts - lifts i never even did because they are dangerous. I hope it dies

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
907Tri wrote:

CF is a cult following and tends to attract people who like that sort of mentality

Uh-oh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but CF’ers will be really prepared when life-and-death situations call for them to flip tractor tires and do 50 burpees. It’s totally foreseeable that zombies can be thwarted by having to dodge tires and will get distracted and lose interest in human brains watching burpees.
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rule #1 is Cardio

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glassman has a history of suing any gym that wasn't an affiliate and ran their operations even remotely similar to a crossfit box.

As these gyms unaffiliate, but continue to operate as they have in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to see some nasty legal fights.. especially against the large well known gyms ran by OG Crossfitters (Froning, Kalipa, etc.). I forgot where, but I saw/read/heard somewhere that Crossfit has a team of 70 whose sole job is the go after trademark infringements.
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Rule #1 is Cardio

The fatties are the first to go. Or me, unless I can get to a bike or a lake!
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:
Crossfit has a team of 70 whose sole job is the go after trademark infringements.

Something as simple as posting "#WOD" can get you a harshly worded email or even a C&D

Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will not be able to afford that many employees looking for issues is a good majority de-affiliate. And going after Froning would be a battle they would not win. It’s cross training, you can’t trademark cross training. It is a microcosm of where we all find ourselves currently. If this community stand together they can change the structure of this company that is based on the whims of some old fart.
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Same here!! Very immature.
Perfect example of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

But then we wouldn't be able to see people absolutely losing their minds over everyday news articles.
1st we get to see them lose their minds in the comment section on the original news articles.
Next we get to see them lose their minds on FB, Twitter, IG and more.
Then we get to see them post a new thread with a link to the same news articles in the LR, losing their minds page after page after page.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
It started as simple cross training for sports then morphed into the wierd thing it is today. The athletes are wierdly built, they are good at 100 things but not great at any one

Is that better or worse than being good at THREE things but not great at any one thing? ;-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glassman has said stupid things about why Crossfit is better for the entirety of it becoming a thing, not using actual science...and this is the straw that breaks the camels back? Kind of funny.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CEO deserve to be shamed... he should resign and it should have some important financial consequence for him.

That been said, if the "Crossfit" brand get destroyed... it will have some consequence for the sport / athletes, which is very unfortunate.
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Reebok, Rogue and other supporters/sponsors of the OG Crossfit will come up with some alt-Crossfit to fill the gap

Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glassman is the sole owner. Not sure if he still has outstanding deb to Summit Partners. Glassman and CrossFIt may have to ride this out together. It is a different dynamic from a company like Papa John's that could get rid of the founder & CEO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:

I was a bodybuilder for years and never could quite grasp the concept of crossfit. It started as simple cross training for sports then morphed into the wierd thing it is today. The athletes are wierdly built, they are good at 100 things but not great at any one thing.

For normal people, its a guaranteed route to injury, with poorly educated instructors teaching unfit individuals olympic lifts - lifts i never even did because they are dangerous. I hope it dies

Disagree. I've been doing CrossFit for about 3 years now, and I find it less cult-like than my primary sport of road cycling. People are more diverse and friendlier.

There is concern about quality of instruction. You can go way wrong. But many instructors are excellent. Just requires due diligence like coaching in any sport. My coach is a former Oly-style competitive lifter. Helps coach my form every day.

I've only seen a handful of people injured. Far lower injury rate than road cycling or my former running teams.

People are down to earth as well. Pro CF is a different beast.
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Glassman is the sole owner. Not sure if he still has outstanding deb to Summit Partners. Glassman and CrossFIt may have to ride this out together. It is a different dynamic from a company like Papa John's that could get rid of the founder & CEO.

Glassman resigned as CEO and retired after his zoom meeting was reported to the media. His comments are very, very strong, especially in light of the current environment. I would not be surprised if his business model suffers a lot more irreparable damage,

https://www.businessinsider.com/...-george-floyd-2020-6
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Jun 9, 20 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: CROSSFIT - How to shoot yourself in the foot [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
Glassman resigned as CEO and retired after his zoom meeting was reported to the media.
Wow, he went full Jerry Maguire. I assume much of his personal wealth is tied up in the business. I wonder if he will sell to another partner or if the whole thing will still crater with him as a principal owner.
Quote Reply