Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TSB question
Quote | Reply
Many of us use separate PMC for biking and running or a combination running/biking. How about TSB? Reading on the Training Peaks I found this. . . It doesn't differentiate what the reference group is but I'm assuming that it's all 3 sports.

For most athletes I’ve found keeping Form in the negative 10 to negative 30 range when the training is hard and focused is a very productive and healthy range. This could be, for example, in the serious training weeks of the base and build periods. In this range the likelihood of a breakdown is kept in check.

What's everyone's experience? Do you use TSB as it reflects all 3 sports and target -10 to -30 or simply as a bike/run TSB targeting -10 to -30 or some other number?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: TSB question [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't train to any specific TSB targets (and I'm using Strava "Fitness and Freshness" where I believe "Form"=TSB) but if you're ever switching between bike/run blocks it's probably wise to look at both activities individually. It would be easy to come off balanced triathlon training into a marathon run training block and have total TSB change little but running TSB spike a lot - there's probably substantial injury risk from ramping run volume/intensity too fast if you're using total TSB as a guardrail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use training peaks and you create a pmc chart for each, doesn’t it show tsb for the specific sport?
When thats said, whats the point? Taper or recovery weeks? - I would Think you would reduce your training load evenly in each sport, which Will make tsb the same?
Or am I missing something here?
Quote Reply
Re: TSB question [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really wondering from a fatigue monitoring perspective. For example my TSB today for all 3 sports is -25 but for B/R is -15 (been trying to catch up on swimming). On Training Peaks it suggested that I might need to take a break as I am approaching -30. It got me to thinking that not all -TSB are created the same and that using a more neg TSB is only so helpful. I would imagine that I would be much more fatigued if the B/R contribution to TSB was a greater component as opposed to having the swim component affecting the TSB. If this is the case then following TSB for all 3 sports might not be such a good tool for monitoring fatigue and/or optimal training stress load. Also I'm not sure that there is a general range of TSB for the individual B/R components as a rule of thumb given that you can't separate out the effect of running on bike (and visa versa).

There seems to be plenty of goals on the CTL required for optimal performance for bike/run individually.

I couldn't find anything online that addresses this. Guess I'll just stick with the old "if I feel I need a break, then I'll take a break"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would use it as a general pointer.
I dont do swimming at the moment (dont have my own pool and public pools are closed here), so naturally My ATL and CTL is lower than “usual”, because of the missing swims. When I start swimming again, I’ll go by feel until things are back to normal. But in general, my recovery weeks are recovery weeks in all sports, doing 50% training load, so TSB Will usually be roughly the same in all sports. Eventually it’ll even itself out, regardless of CTL.
Quote Reply