Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 945
Quote | Reply
Pulling the trigger today.

Any tips/tricks from the experts and long time users?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing special. Reserve about an hour on the couch to set it up-- connecting all your devices and configuring the screens the way you like them. I have had mine since launch, and it has been flawless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update the software and the GPS firmware as soon as you get it. The most recent updates seem to have made the open water swim tracking much more reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just add that I like using it in the QR mount on my bike. They sell separate less-bulky QR straps for the wrist, as the QR wrist mount (not the bike mount) is a bulky sled. Also talks to Varia well, with full color warnings and car dots like the bigger units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what device you're coming from, but I've been pretty disappointed. If I could have had a 920xt in a 945 body I would have been happy. But after the 'upgrade' to the 945, the GPS accuracy and pace estimates are definitively worse.

I don't really use it on the bike or for swimming, so it depends on your use case, but I've been underwhelmed. Also, be careful with the watchface, it's softer than a baby's bottom. I cancelled a Fenix Sapphire purchase to get the 945 right when it came out, and I regret the decision, although that probably would have had the same GPS issues.

At the end of the day, I used a 920xt to BQ, and I dont have enough confidence in the 945 to trust the pace estimates in the same way. That would be a dealbreaker for me if I were deciding on a purchase today.

Edit: typo
Last edited by: bgoldstein: Jun 6, 20 19:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tips or tricks. BUT, you will love the music feature. Running without that stupid phone armband has been a game changer for me. Especially during track intervals.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
No tips or tricks. BUT, you will love the music feature. Running without that stupid phone armband has been a game changer for me. Especially during track intervals.

I actually bought it for the Music feature over the 935, but user interface isnt that good. Any BT headphones where you Can actually change Song?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's my only complaint with the music too... my bluetooth headphone's buttons can change the song when connected to my other devices (eg. phone) but not on the watch. Still beats carrying a phone for running anyday though! Just have to carefully pick your songs in your playlists to avoid any you really dislike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t figure out a way to control the music while running short of pausing the workout and going back to the Spotify widget.

It’s fine. I love wasting time at work creating the perfect Spotify playlist anyways.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have aftershock air and Powerbeats pro - both of them you double tap the button on them and it skips to the next track............no need to get into the widget..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try holding the bottom left button, then hit the middle left. That should bring up the control display. Then you have to click through to the function you want. Not easy as was stated above. Some headphones will let you skip a song.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Yeah that's my only complaint with the music too... my bluetooth headphone's buttons can change the song when connected to my other devices (eg. phone) but not on the watch. Still beats carrying a phone for running anyday though! Just have to carefully pick your songs in your playlists to avoid any you really dislike.

Music was the major reason I got this too...Hold bottom left button down for maybe 2 seconds and then you can skip songs as much as you want (and change volume or other music features)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 7, 20 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:

At the end of the day, I used a 920xt to BQ, and I dont have enough confidence in the 945 to trust the pace estimates in the same way. That would be a dealbreaker for me if I were deciding on a purchase today.

Just wondering if you have tried adding a footpod? Whilst a bit of a faff, especially if like me you have multiple pairs of shoes, then for your use case it may be a worthwhile addition. Has been very helpful for me and addressed the frustrations I had when I went 910>935.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
bgoldstein wrote:

Just wondering if you have tried adding a footpod? Whilst a bit of a faff, especially if like me you have multiple pairs of shoes, then for your use case it may be a worthwhile addition. Has been very helpful for me and addressed the frustrations I had when I went 910>935.

The Garmin 920XT is slightly more accurate than the 945/935 or any of the more current Fenix watches- which all use the same GPS chip set, but if you are looking for accurate pace data, they ALL suck. Footpods are far more accurate, and Stryd is the most accurate of all footpods, and has a fantastic set of data.
Here is the absolute best data on GPS and footpod accuracy
https://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
...Also, be careful with the watchface, it's softer than a baby's bottom. I cancelled a Fenix Sapphire purchase to get the 945 right when it came out, and I regret the decision, although that probably would have had the same GPS issues...

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 based on recommendations from another thread. I've had one on since day 1, no scratching.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that website. I've been there before, but not for a while so it probably wasn't as extensive an analysis at the time.

I guess my issue is with the trend of the 910xt -> 920xt -> 935. I never owned a 910xt, but it was well known that if you wanted all the data you could get your hands on, that was the watch to get (I settled for a used 310xt). I really feel like Garmin made a name for itself by providing innovative, accurate wearables when others couldn't or didn't. But since then, every 'upgrade' has added secondary features and sacrificed what should be the core competency of the device. And in my opinion, that was done with no transparency.

Do I like Garmin pay when I forget my wallet? Yes. Do I like music on my watch? I've never used it. If given an honest, transparent choice between a more accurate GPS and other features, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the purchase. But I've really lost a lot of faith in the guessing game that comes along with a new Garmin device. I get that it's not feasible to basically set up a ProjectOne Garmin device system where you can mix and match different features. But as they blur the line between sports wearables and smartwatches, they not doing either particularly well, imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 945 [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bose sound sports also can control the music without accessing the app on the watch itself. Apple AirPods not surprisingly do not.
Quote Reply