Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How should cycling shoes fit?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a new pair of cycling shoes and found Dan's latest article comparing the Shimano RC7 to the RC9s really helpful. However, his comments on sizing caught my eye, specifically this passage:

I fit each of them in a size 46.5, and that is my typical size. This is about a size-12 in menā€™s run shoes. Wait! (You might say.) Thatā€™s not true! A size-12 run shoe is a size-46 in European sizing! Yes. But I have to buy my cycling shoes about a half-size bigger than I buy my run shoes, and you probably should to (refer to my comments above in how shoes for run and cycle need to fit). In fact, in most of my HOKAs I have to size down a half-size (I normally run in size-12 shoes, but I run in size 11.5 in most HOKAs.) Point being, Shimanoā€™s cycling shoes run true to size, and I buy these shoes in the size in which I would normally buy cycling shoes, which is a half-size bigger than I buy my run shoes. I offer this in service of your quest to buy the right size the first time if by mail order.

Based on his thoughts above, it seems like my cycling shoes might be a half size too small. My dress shoe size (size on the Brannock device) is a 9D, and I take a size 10 in my running shoes (Brooks Adrenalines, Nike Pegasus Turbo). For my cycling shoes, I currently own a pair of Shimano RP9 and TR9, both in size 43, but if I'm interpreting Dan's advice correctly, it seems like I should be taking a size 43.5?

How do they feel? Well, I put on my RP9s and while it feels like I have a little room in my big toe, my pinkie and fourth toe are pressed up against the end of the shoe itself. Is that fine / normal? Here's a photo showing what I mean (arrow points to my big toe, which I was lifting up to show how much room I have; what you cannot see are my smaller toes, which hit the top of the shoe itself): https://imgur.com/a/t7Azp0R

Maybe I'm overthinking it, because I've completed both a HIM and an IM in my TR9s and didn't really experience any noticeable issues with them. However, I'd like to purchase the RC9s, and was hoping to get the community's advice given how pricey these are! I'm second-guessing myself now and wondering if I've been buying shoes that are just a smidge too small...
Quote Reply
Re: How should cycling shoes fit? [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoe fit is personal. If you don't have a problem, don't change anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should be perfectly comfortable, immediately. If not...nope. Carbon fiber soles do not "break in" and if you destroy your feet on the bike, you are not going to enjoy the run. I have wide feet and long second toes. In there is any rubbing, I can't stand it. Putting in an adjustable shoe tree can stretch certain uppers a tiny amount, but I'd get a pair, try'em and send them back if they are immediately perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably good with your current size. Cycling shoes do/should fit more snugly than running shoes. Your foot moves less inside the shoe, you need to pull up while pedaling, and cycling socks are often thinner. You donā€™t want your toes crammed in, but you donā€™t need the extra toe room that running shoes need to prevent black toenails.

Back in the era of leather cycling shoes, they were typically bought super tight, and then you would spray them with water during your first few rides so they would stretch to fit your foot.

For reference, I wear a 9D dress shoe, 9.5D running shoes, and size 42 cycling shoes in most brands (LG, Sidi, Shimano, Specialized).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How should cycling shoes fit? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys!

I think I also got caught up on this passage:

Tight shoes will give you trouble when riding. My run shoes canā€™t be uncomfortably tight, but need to smother my feet like a baby in a pappoose. Not so my cycling shoes. While they need to be snug and secure in the heel, my forefeet need some room when Iā€™m cycling.

Which made me start wondering - how much room should one have, exactly? Enough to not be crushed, or some wiggle room for all of my toes?

To what you guys are saying, maybe this is just a case of not fixing it if it ain't broke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really donā€™t think the ā€œfeelā€ of the fit is that different. Itā€™s obviously personal, but I think both running shoes and cycling shoes should fit snug but be comfortable (immediately as someone said above). The first time I tried a Shimano cycling shoe I was shocked how comfy it was for me.....immediately. No break in period required. Same with my Altra shoes. Having said all that, the sizing of all shoes is different, even within cycling or running shoes (is a size 11 Altra Run show doesnā€™t fit the same as a size 11 Nike). So, your sizing may be different between run and cycling shoes but I donā€™t think the fit model is all that different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've the same RP9 model shoes as you.
My big toe is in about the same location. My pinkie and other toes are a bit snug / compressed laterally (too snug really). I can move my toes but there's not as much room as I'd really like.

I have done many 100+ mile rides in them and probably 2 or 3 or 4 iron distance races in them too (cant recall when i got them exactly).
Whilst not crippling, i do sometimes get some numbness or tingling.
Size 45.
I've reasonably wide feet..not mega wide but not 'average' either. But my smaller toes are relatively 'forward' so the angled cut off on shoes can really stuff me.

The RP9s are not like a pair of slippers or my run shoes (44.5 ONs of various types) in terms of comfort that's for sure. Great at the heel and sides but just too narrow at the front really.
I've historically just had to suck it up or go get massively oversized coco-the-clown length shoes to get sufficient width / space (which cocks up cleat positioning).

As others say the RP9 being carbon and artificial leather will not give. A tree shoe to stretch is a waste of time. I've tried !

Now the revalation. Just this last week I went and dropped Ā£250 GBP šŸ˜± on some Lake cx238s, size 44.5 wide fit. Yep a lot of Ā£Ā£Ā£. But WOW. A shoe that is finally properly comfortable !! I decided it's worth the cost given their kufe expectancy (aporox 2x the cost of my ONs but should last 10 or 15x longer).
Lots of bike shoes just seem narrow.

Got to try shoes on to find out. In the evening too when your feet are naturally a little bigger than 1st thing in a morning.

Shoes are something i'd really prefer to get at a bricks and mortar shop so I can try. But so few carry the required range, + C19 has wrecked that idea in reality in the UK for who knows how long.

I found thst after lots of reading up, it was a case of getting multiple pairs mail order knowing all but one will get sent back. (So check the returns policy - places with free returns are a good choice when you've got Ā£1-2k of differing shoes to return).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I ordered the RC9s in the same size as my RP9s and TR9s and received them earlier this week. They are too small! I think I will need a half size up, so back they go. I ordered them from Competitive Cyclist, but they don't seem to carry half sizes in these shoes, so it will need to be a special order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:

I think I also got caught up on this passage:

"""""Tight shoes will give you trouble when riding.........While they need to be snug and secure in the heel, my forefeet need some room when Iā€™m cycling."""""""

Which made me start wondering - how much room should one have, exactly? Enough to not be crushed, or some wiggle room for all of my toes?

If you're feet go numb, you get pins & needles or hot spots you need shoes that have more width, more height or longer or a combo of all 3.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply