Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone with epilepsy on the forum?
Quote | Reply
If you have epilepsy, how has it affected your training and have the medication side effects had an impact on your training?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with epilepsy on the forum? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have epilepsy realizing itself in generalized seizures. Not severe.

I don’t do any tri’s anymore nor any real training as I had a massive pulmonary embolism 4 years ago and a bilateral PE a year later. Am now a lifer on blood thinners too.

Swam in college. When I was training and “racing”, no open water swims unless boats/kayaks, no pool swims unless there was a lifeguard. A few times the guard took a break as I was the only one in the pool doing lap after lap. I caught it and got out and sat in a chair then spoke to them and management after.

Pretty much ride a bike trainer and that’s about it these days. Tough but since TR, Zwift, and FulGaz it makes it a bit tolerable.

Regards to meds, I’m on depakote and side effect is weight gain. Makes me slower ;). PEs make me slower. Blood thinners seem to make me heat up, sweat more, and go slower.

With everything that’s happened, the likelihood I actually attempt even a sprint is next to zero. Just not my priorities these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know nothing of your situation... just be sure you have exhausted all options before resigning yourself to a lifetime of seizures. Brain surgery is awesome. UCLA fixed up my ex-husband and he went from epilepsy to 10+ years seizure-free.

That said, the meds are generally downers. If you can muster up the will to push through the fog with exercise then it will most certainly benefit you. Just keep your electrolytes in check and watch out for the pre-colonoscopy cleanse (it can stir up seizures). Fats and proteins actually did help back in the day.

Good luck to you.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 seizures 16 years ago within 2 months of each other. We were on our 4th kid in 5 years and the docs think it was related to lack of sleep. I went through just about every test out there and couldn't find a good reason other than the lack of sleep.

After 6 months of no driving and less strenuous training I was given the go ahead to resume at full speed. I was concerned about swimming and doc said your body is in a more relaxed state when swimming compared to other activities, so he wasn't too worried. Obviously, no swimming without a lifeguard, but no restrictions.

I was on dilantin after the hospital. It's the oldest and go to drug when at the hospital. After a few months I could feel depression coming on and I was more tired than usual even after a good night's sleep. I switched to something else, I can't remember what, and that was a little better, but my heart rate was about 10-15 beats lower than max no matter how hard I tried. I switched to lamictal/lamotrigine and I've been on that for about 14 years. I don't feel any side effects, but there are many drugs to try out if you're not feeling yourself. I asked about coming off the meds and it would take a slow decrease in meds, but it would also take another 6 months off of driving to make sure I'm ok w/o the meds before I could get approved to drive again. This was too much for me, so now I'm still taking meds just for protection.

I've done 5-6 sprint distances and a couple olympics each year since then. So going full gas has not been a problem.

Long story short, it can be done, but you need your doc to be in agreement with your plans. Most important is finding the right meds so you're feeling 100% yourself. Think baby steps and long term not what you want to do next week and next month. Make sure your family is on board too, since they'll be going through this with you.

Good luck and post back if you have questions.
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on a drug called orfiril for grand mal seizures. Realized that that all of them occured after drinking while hung over(sometimes even a few days later). Last one was in a pool a couple of years ago which was not fun. After that I decided to end drinking. No seizures since but still on orfiril though.
After the pool incident it took ma about half a year to use the pool again and it still makes makes me a bit twitchy because after every weird feeling or cramp in the pool, my first thought is if this is the beginning of the seizure.
Last edited by: koplus: Jun 6, 20 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diagnosed in 1987 and the age of 24. Didn't drive for a year. I started with phenobarbital, then dilantin and eventually landed on Tegretol and have been using it for years and I am well controlled. Started triathlon in 2009 and have completed a load of short distance and 5 IMs. I have had a few break through auras over the years, but usually hormonal. Hasn't affected my participation in sports. I know there is a risk, but I usually get a warning if an aura is forthcoming. Again, they are rare.

I did have a doctor who recommend surgery early on. I got a second opinion and was told that was outrageous and could make me worse, not better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched The Last Mile documentary on youtube this morning on the trainer abt the 2017 ITU long distance race in Penticton. One of the athletes profiled - Jenn Annett - has epilepsy and managed to turn pro. I don't know about the severity or type but best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with epilepsy on the forum? [threeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
threeman wrote:
I watched The Last Mile documentary on youtube this morning on the trainer abt the 2017 ITU long distance race in Penticton. One of the athletes profiled - Jenn Annett - has epilepsy and managed to turn pro. I don't know about the severity or type but best of luck to you.

Much respect for Jen,she is a great lady...Here is her website with her story.
https://www.jenannett.com/page2

Another interesting read might be from the Epileptic Ironman..
https://epilepticironman.wordpress.com/
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jun 7, 20 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone with epilepsy on the forum? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I read through Jen’s story on a few different sites. Very helpful info. I’m 50yo and 8 years ago had 3 episodes over 3 days of a dream like state with a sorrowful/doom feeling. All tests were negative. No problems until 10 days ago and I had 6 of these in a day. Nothing since. Saw an epileptologist and he said suggestive of temporal lobe seizures. Suggest I think about meds. I am a physician and know the meds come with undesirable side effects. I have done about 20 IM in last 10 years and would like to think that I will be able to continue. There a few ST threads about seizures and training that have some good info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I read through Jen’s story on a few different sites. Very helpful info. I’m 50yo and 8 years ago had 3 episodes over 3 days of a dream like state with a sorrowful/doom feeling. All tests were negative. No problems until 10 days ago and I had 6 of these in a day. Nothing since. Saw an epileptologist and he said suggestive of temporal lobe seizures. Suggest I think about meds. I am a physician and know the meds come with undesirable side effects. I have done about 20 IM in last 10 years and would like to think that I will be able to continue. There a few ST threads about seizures and training that have some good info.

If you want to continue training/competing, then I would recommend trying the meds and see what side effects you get and make a decision then. You might not even get any, so dont worry and listen to your doctors :)
Quote Reply