Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever bend their own extensions?
Quote | Reply
I've tried out several different extensions over the past couple seasons and while I've found a couple to be reasonably comfortable none have been "perfect" (if such a thing exists without going full custom). The two I've settled on are Profile Design 50a and Profile Design 4525a. I like the height of the 50a but find the angle too steep, and I like the shape of the 4525a but would like them to be a bit higher. So... I'm tempted to try to bend either or both of them to try and find a position that's just right.

They're both aluminum so I suspect bending should be possible without compromising them from a strength/safety point of view. Anyone done this before? If so, what tools do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would use a tube bender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a tubing bender will bend it...

that said, it's very at your own risk. Aluminum is not the same as steel, and bending it will compromise its integrity. It has been done... I did it in my younger days and still have my teeth. I wouldn't do it again though.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get stock AL tubing, bend it with a pipe bender to the angel and length you like then wrap it in carbon. Pretty easy stuff.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" it will compromise its integrity"

I don't think it's a big deal since you don't put your weight on aero bars much. Arm rests and base bar will take most of your weight.
I would say for for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a friend with a tube bender, I wouldn't. Cost. Simply because the cost to get a tube bender worth making the bends you want will cost more than just buying some sweet freaking extensions.

Now, if you are going to be prototyping for a REAL product you want to make and distribute at some point.......by all means have at it.

I thought about going this path and saw a tube bender was like 1/2 the cost of some NICE extensions and said "nope".
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
a tubing bender will bend it...

that said, it's very at your own risk. Aluminum is not the same as steel, and bending it will compromise its integrity. It has been done... I did it in my younger days and still have my teeth. I wouldn't do it again though.

Bending aluminum tubing is safe if done properly with the right grade of aluminum and as long as you don't use excessively thin tubing, and lots of bicycle parts have been fabricated over the years with bending. My wife's place of employment has a machine shop and I've bent my own aerobars using their tubing bender and they were fine (no longer using them though). I believe 6061-T6 is a structural grade aluminum that is ductile and suitable for bending. Some other grades may be either too weak or too brittle. That said, once bent, don't bend it again, if you get it wrong start over. Can't quite recall what wall thickness I used but it was .875" outside diameter and I think something like .065" wall thickness, I think .055" would work. If you use overly thick tubing you'll have to ream it out to fit the shifters. If you use something really thin like .035" you would definitely be taking a risk of long term failure.

Edit: Adding that it's only safe if you use a good quality bender with a die that fits the outside diameter of the tubing and doesn't crimp it. If there's any crimping it wouldn't be safe.
Last edited by: tttiltheend: Jun 5, 20 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
***GUYS*** context... jesus.

Op is asking what tool to use to bend already existing extensions.

It WILL compromise the extensions. Period.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you change the angle of the extensions where they attach to the risers? This would effectively change the angle of the bar.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
***GUYS*** context... jesus.

Op is asking what tool to use to bend already existing extensions.

It WILL compromise the extensions. Period.

^^^^This.

Once the tubing is bent, it strain hardens and is likely to crack if rebent (bending a paperclip is a good analogy).

You can bend stock tubing to shape at many machine shops (but cost will exceed that of buying new extensions).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say bending existing extensions is a no go. If you can source copper tubing in 22.2mm a regular pipe bender is enough. They'll be heavy and ugly but good for experiments
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replies to no one in particular (and thanks all for your thoughts) –

Sounds like trying to bend them myself is a generally bad idea. There is a machine shop at my work, though I don't know if they're operating currently during COVID. If they are operating on limited capacity then bending my extensions probably wouldn't be considered a priority. Doesn't hurt to ask though. If they say it's a no go with the tools and expertise they have then that's that.

I can't tilt because I'm on a Plasma 5. Drag2Zero (and some others) have angled shims, but I'm slammed and don't want to raise the whole front end just to get higher extensions.

The 51 Speedshop Ultimate Carbon Extensions look just about perfect but they're a lot more $$ than the aluminum Profile and Zipp extensions I've been rotating through. Length is a priority for me. I'm a tall guy with long forearms and generally need extensions that are ≥380 mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Replies to no one in particular (and thanks all for your thoughts) –

Sounds like trying to bend them myself is a generally bad idea. There is a machine shop at my work, though I don't know if they're operating currently during COVID. If they are operating on limited capacity then bending my extensions probably wouldn't be considered a priority. Doesn't hurt to ask though. If they say it's a no go with the tools and expertise they have then that's that.

I can't tilt because I'm on a Plasma 5. Drag2Zero (and some others) have angled shims, but I'm slammed and don't want to raise the whole front end just to get higher extensions.

The 51 Speedshop Ultimate Carbon Extensions look just about perfect but they're a lot more $$ than the aluminum Profile and Zipp extensions I've been rotating through. Length is a priority for me. I'm a tall guy with long forearms and generally need extensions that are ≥380 mm.

We can make custom length extensions in aluminium in any size you like. Bit of a lead time but you send in your measurements and we make them to suit (with the ergo end gripper):https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...components-c51437190[/url]

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never tried it myself but another engineer I work with was on a project and they hydroformed some AL. It’s way over kill for what you want to but you might find it an interesting read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroforming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pipe bender 15 years ago because extension options were rather limited at that time. It's not easy to get a smooth bend without an internal mandrel. But they did the job.
I stopped doing it as soon as extension options opened up - much better to use something that is shot peened and tested.

On the Plasma5 front - don't put really long extensions on - the bar suffers if there is too much leverage applied on the bracket.

What I'd suggest for any Plasma 5 owner (especially if you're slammed) is to save your pennies on anything cockpit related and wait a bit longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
On the Plasma5 front - don't put really long extensions on - the bar suffers if there is too much leverage applied on the bracket.

This is news to me, and a bit unnerving. I swapped out the OEM J5 type bracket with the Plasma 5 TT bracket and have been riding the Ergo armrests and Profile extensions that are 400 mm long. I haven't had or heard of any issues with the setup, except that Profile's EVO bracket is not compatible with the Plasma 5.

What problems have people had when using stock or other approved components?

At least I should be able to take some comfort in the fact that my weight rests solidly on the pads and I don't put much weight on the extensions or ride with a death grip.

cyclenutnz wrote:
What I'd suggest for any Plasma 5 owner (especially if you're slammed) is to save your pennies on anything cockpit related and wait a bit longer.

That's not likely to happen for a while. I like the bike and am comfortable on it. Plus I'm pretty sure my wife's head would explode if I floated the idea of buying a new tri bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:

This is news to me, and a bit unnerving. I swapped out the OEM J5 type bracket with the Plasma 5 TT bracket and have been riding the Ergo armrests and Profile extensions that are 400 mm long. I haven't had or heard of any issues with the setup, except that Profile's EVO bracket is not compatible with the Plasma 5.

I don't have a length limit for the TT5 bar, but I would suggest not going past the 400mm as a rule of thumb.

Northy wrote:

That's not likely to happen for a while. I like the bike and am comfortable on it. Plus I'm pretty sure my wife's head would explode if I floated the idea of buying a new tri bike!

Not a new bike. That's why I specifically mentioned Plasma 5 and cockpit... ;-)
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Jun 8, 20 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:

Tririg makes a similar shape bend (just alloy for now) that both Summer and I use. They're 20mm longer than the 51ss and rise 5mm more if that's what you're looking for. Also $80 cheaper.
(Note I'm sponsored by them) but they're a great shape for the hands.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Jun 8, 20 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Northy wrote:

I don't have a length limit for the TT5 bar, but I would suggest not going past the 400mm as a rule of thumb.

Northy wrote:

Not a new bike. That's why I specifically mentioned Plasma 5 and cockpit... ;-)

Well now you've definitely piqued my interest!! I've assumed anything Plasma5 compatible is already out there since rumors of a Plasma6 have been floating around.

And thanks for your input on the TT5 bar and extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever bend their own extensions? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Northy wrote:

Tririg makes a similar shape bend (just alloy for now) that both Summer and I use. They're 20mm longer than the 51ss and rise 5mm more if that's what you're looking for. Also $80 cheaper.
(Note I'm sponsored by them) but they're a great shape for the hands.

Thanks Ben. The Gamma 115s definitely looks like an good possibility. One thing I like about the Profile and 51 Speedshop extensions is their lateral offset to help get your hands closer together. Of course I should get roughly the same result by rotating the extensions inward.

One good thing is I went to the tunnel for the first time this Feb (in prep for all the racing I'll do this year...) and I seem to be insensitive to hand height. Width sure, but I can toy with extensions and height all day until I find something that feels just right. I'm not thrilled about the idea of buying yet another set of extensions but the Gammas are looking pretty good.
Quote Reply