Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4iiii precision power meter low reading
Quote | Reply
has anyone had any experience of their 4iiii precision power meter (single sided) reading low?

around steady watts just generally riding between 150-200w, the 4iiii will read at about 130w and at a higher power sprinting type level at around 800w, the 4iiii will read more like 600w. i've compared this against readings from a power2max type s and the tacx vortex trainer power readings.

it's consistently lower at all power levels and also find that it is slow to react to changes in power compared to the others.

it's been calibrated according to the instructions no problem and the calibration reading given, is as it should be.

is there something you especially need to be aware of when installing or something not stated when calibrating? feel like i'm missing something for the readings to be like this - but then it's only installing a crank, so there's not really much to it....

it was bought after reading reviews against other low budget, single sided power meters, such as the stages system, which said the 4iiii was the more accurate system when compared to higher end power meters and also the more consistent one, so i was surprised to find this doesn't seem to be the case....
Quote Reply
Re: 4iiii precision power meter low reading [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could it be just that you have a leg imbalance so you pedal (say) 45%With left leg and 55% With your right leg.

Remember single sided power meters only record the left leg and double it.
I know I have opposite issue as I push harder with my left leg then my right so mine over reads power.

Not a fault, just inherent issue of single sided power meters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked to see if the firmware is up to date? You can check that on the app. I can’t comment on single sided as I have a couple of 4iii duals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a single sided 4iiii precision and I don't have that issue (latest firmware). I have had it about a month and I tested it against my Vector 3's and the difference is negligible.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine originally read low, but that was due to having a noticeable leg imbalance (44/56). The 4iiii app has a scaling function that allows you to compensate:

4iiii wrote:
Scale factor: This allows you to adjust for a left/ right leg imbalance when using a single side powermeter. For example, if you produce 49% of your power with your left leg, put in a scale factor of 1.02 in to give an accurate total power, if 48% left leg, put in a scale factor of 1.04.

Once I set it to 1.12, it read pretty close to my P2M...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has been fine (single-sided). Matches up well with my smart trainer readings (after compensating for drivetrain losses), and the single-side Stages on my other bike. I find the 4iiii to be a lot more stable than the Stages and prefer it TBH.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the ideas. i think the firmware is up to date, possible leg imbalance issues then. the 4iiii would be on the less dominant side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes accuracy seems to be related to battery level.
Other times it doesn't seem to be related to anything at all (based off one of my athletes with a dual sided one)
Quote Reply