Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat discomfort on the trainer
Quote | Reply
I use an Adamo PR 2.0 and I'm very uncomfortable on it. I do not seem to either get the correct tilt right, my genitals get numb and my lower back hurts even after an hour of base (or light) training.

It is a TT bike, Felt IA10, I don't ride that much aero (I try to do at least a third of my training on the bars) since I get all uncomfortable. I ride on the bars, but then my hands hurt, and the seat issues do not go away.

I switched to Adamo from a Dash saddle, same problems. I try to rotate my hips, change bibs... not much change.

I've been riding the trainer for 8 weeks now, so I should be used to it, no?

The only thing that helps is to get out of the saddle, I get some relief, but I cannot ride on my feet all the time and would like to spend more time on the aerobar.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same seat. I don’t get uncomfortable on it - I even did a 8.5hr 170mi ride on it on the trainer on April 27th.

My seat is tilted down slightly - I ride with my weight being pushed forward slightly. I think this is uncommon, but I tried out a bunch of different tilts and it’s what worked for me.

Also, I have a few different positions on the saddle from being all the way on the front to all the way on the back. I’m not in the same position the whole time and feel that shifting around slightly evades discomfort.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checking, you say that you have discomfort on the trainer, but is this only on the trainer (ie on the road you're fine?).

For me then I find that the one time I wore my road bibs on the TT bike on the trainer I was really not comfy - the padding for a TT saddle/setup (for me) needs to be thinner or it gets really uncomfy.

Secondly, I find I need more chamois cream for the trainer. No way to avoid the TMI, but I sweat a lot more, that ends up running down all parts of body and that means unless well lubed things get sore after an hour in a way they wouldn't outside.

Finally, outside then of course you're always moving, forward / back, little out the saddle efforts, side to side weight shifts as you corner. So on the trainer, I tend to use a timed approach. Every 15mins then I'll have a drink, sit up to eat, etc. Just for a minute, then get back to the bars, but potentially with a little 'shuffle' of the shorts to prevent any continued pressure points.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Duncan, yes, outside I'm fine. I usually use chamois when going out, but not always on the trainer. But it is not chaffing what causes the discomfort, it is (I think) either the saddle or the time spent directly on the saddle. As you say, outside there is a lot of movement; not so much in the trainer. But it gets to a point where I can hardly concentrate on the routine or program and I'm just suffering in my rear, my back, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! that is a long time! I couldn't do two hours now, it just hurts so much. I have tried moving the saddle fore and aft... and tried to sit on the back, on the front... I get some relief but it is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
Hi Duncan, yes, outside I'm fine. I usually use chamois when going out, but not always on the trainer. But it is not chaffing what causes the discomfort, it is (I think) either the saddle or the time spent directly on the saddle. As you say, outside there is a lot of movement; not so much in the trainer. But it gets to a point where I can hardly concentrate on the routine or program and I'm just suffering in my rear, my back, etc.

It's worth a try doubling up on the chamois cream for exactly that reason, get some slip/sliding going on.

Also, just think about your trainer. Could be the vibrations from that, so make sure the front wheel and trainer are on a foam mat. Just enough to dampen some of the vibration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that for any given saddle I can ride it for ~1/2 as long on the trainer as I can outside before it become uncomfortable. Outside there is a natural rocking and shifting of weight that just doesn't happen with the bike locked into the trainer.

-A rocker plate for the bike/trainer can help (but they are pricey).

-Riding harder helps, since it places less weight on the saddle.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you use Facebook, there is a group called "Rocker Plates" that is a resource for sharing ideas on DIY rocker plate builds. You could try a DIY option that wouldn't cost much money to see if this helps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I’m not on a TT bike, I have the same problem with focusing on my workout because of discomfort. I have switched saddles, used chamois cream and more recently started putting baby powder on my chamois. That has helped me get to about 90 minutes on the trainer before it’s just fruitless to continue. I didn’t think about the rolling aspect on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike hardly moves at all on most trainers, that means you typically move more relative to the saddle, or at least in a less harmonious fashion!
Chamois cream is optional outdoors for me, but indoors it's far more important.

Also, consider using less padding.
There are typically no bumps on a trainer. You don't need suspension.
Padding will tend to exacerbate any issues with pressure on soft tissue and this is likely an problem if you're getting numbness.
I do my of my trainer rides in unpadded compression shorts. I sometimes use tri shorts with very slim pads. I NEVER use my road bibs. They're great on the road bike outdoors, with a conventional saddle; but they're horrible on the trainer, especially with a split nose saddle.
If you're not doing so already, use a fan or fans. Excessively sweaty shorts will not help.
Move around. Sit up, stand up, get on the extensions.
Also remember that easy riding is harder on your ass and easier on everything else. Pressure on the pedals unloads the saddle. I find the trainer much less comfortable when going easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similar issue for me, even with rocker plate.
what I found to help:
When i do long aero sessoins, get out of aero every 5 minutes for 30 seconds to change the position.
Every 30-40 minutes get off the bike completely and walk around for a minute to get rid of the numbness.
Also every 30-40 minutes empty the bladder (even if there's not much) - I find that full bladder really makes the numbness come faster and much worse

No way I could do 8 hours this way, but I can get to 3 hours or a bit more
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense! yes, I have my trainer on a couple mats, it is a magnetic one, so it dampens the noise and vibration. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will definitely look for that group, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try this. I never thought more padding would be more discomfort. My local tri shop suggested I get a gel seat for the trainer, and per your comments, this is counterintuitive... I'll see if wearing my tri shorts or trisuit would help here. The adamo is more padded than the dash I used to ride, so there's that as well.
And yes, I use a big fan, I'm in Mexico so it gets awfully warm lol
Quote Reply
Re: Seat discomfort on the trainer [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! as stupid as it sounds, I never thought of getting off the bike. I thought it would be detrimental to my session. But it makes sense, get the blood flowing differently I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Brooks B17 a month ago and love it for indoor
Quote Reply