Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321)
Quote | Reply
I am going to set up my Roval 321 tubeless, but have lost track of the cylinder with a flat base that is made to support and stabilise the valve stem (probably due to the rim being so thin). Specialized calls this a Disc Wheel Valve Support, but they say they might not get it in stock before next year and I can't find it online anywhere (not even a mention of it...). Not the best service to have a cheap but (perhaps?) essential thing like this for a wheel this expensive not in stock for months...

Has anyone set up their Roval 321 without this piece without problems? Alernatively, does anyone have one I can buy?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you after running it with a latex tube since I've had it. I want to go tubeless too and have lost it as well.

it would seem a valve that has threads all the way down might work, but I have not tried yet since my bike is at the LBS.
Last edited by: KKG: Jun 4, 20 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would still be a little worried if you might damage the rim with a standard tubeless valve if you rock the valve a bit when you pump it (easily done when you try to make the valve pipe seal against the valve as you pump).

If you indeed have to use this piece according to Specialized it seems incredibly poor that it's impossible to obtain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the piece you are describing. If I remember correctly, it is rectangular and effectively acts as a large "washer" for the thin inner surface of the rim bed. I wonder if you could find a large fender washer, making sure the washer hole was large enough for the tubeless valve, and then Dremel it into a rectangular shape, making sure to smooth it out afterwards? A total PIA but may be able to get going until you can get the part from Specialized.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
I would still be a little worried if you might damage the rim with a standard tubeless valve if you rock the valve a bit when you pump it (easily done when you try to make the valve pipe seal against the valve as you pump).

If you indeed have to use this piece according to Specialized it seems incredibly poor that it's impossible to obtain.

Hi MTM

This is indeed the primary purpose of the valve support tube, as well as lowering the position of where the tubeless nut tightens to so that it is more easily accessible within the window. I apologize that the item is not currently available, but all Specialized offices are closed due to COVID otherwise I would help out as best as I could.

KKG wrote:
I'm with you after running it with a latex tube since I've had it. I want to go tubeless too and have lost it as well.

Hi KKG

Please know that the valve support should also be considered for use with latex tubes. The latex tubes are quite then, and if the valve stem "volcano" is not well aligned with the valve hole, or if the tube gets torqued in riding or inflating, you can pierce the tube at this area due to the tun wall

refthimos wrote:
I know the piece you are describing. If I remember correctly, it is rectangular and effectively acts as a large "washer" for the thin inner surface of the rim bed. I wonder if you could find a large fender washer, making sure the washer hole was large enough for the tubeless valve, and then Dremel it into a rectangular shape, making sure to smooth it out afterwards? A total PIA but may be able to get going until you can get the part from Specialized.

Hi refthimos

A washer solution could be a temporary fix, but it would be very difficult to tighten the tubeless nut on the inside through the valve pocket. If you are in a bind, it could possibly work however! In tubeless setup, it does not need to be rectangular. The rectangular portion is for the tubed setup
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you also need for latex tubes - makes sense, though very few latex tubes have threads, so I don't think it would work for most latex tubes as you wouldn't be able to actually fasten it.

I'm still baffled that a cheap essential part (who runs a disc wheel without either latex tube or tubeless?) for such an expensive wheel is not in stock and won't be for many months. Unless there's been a sudden big demand for it, but I highly doubt that.

Would the wheel be OK if I can find a large standard valve nut and manage to get it tightened against the rim? Else I might do something along the lines of what refthimos suggests. Can maybe find a washer that fits around a valve stem...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that you also need for latex tubes - makes sense, though very few latex tubes have threads, so I don't think it would work for most latex tubes as you wouldn't be able to actually fasten it.

I'm still baffled that a cheap essential part (who runs a disc wheel without either latex tube or tubeless?) for such an expensive wheel is not in stock and won't be for many months. Unless there's been a sudden big demand for it, but I highly doubt that.

Would the wheel be OK if I can find a large standard valve nut and manage to get it tightened against the rim? Else I might do something along the lines of what refthimos suggests. Can maybe find a washer that fits around a valve stem...

Hi MTM,

You run the valve support on the inside for tubed operation and outside for tubeless. It is dual purpose.

While i understand that you are frustrated with not having the part in stock, every wheel ships with them for a reason. I am unaware of the current inventory situation but hopefully you can be taken care of soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense with the latex tube :)

I managed to find it! Taking good care of it now... I still think you should consider having some stock of this, I can't imagine it being expensive to make or take up much storage space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
While i understand that you are frustrated with not having the part in stock, every wheel ships with them for a reason. I am unaware of the current inventory situation but hopefully you can be taken care of soon.

Any update on when these will be in stock? I've heard everything from "soon" to "end of the year" to "not planning on restocking at this time"

FWIW, i'm not going to gripe that it isn't in stock, that I sorta understand. Inconvenient? Yes, but what I will gripe at is that there was no documentation that came with my Shiv TT for the disc wheel, much less documentation saying what that was for. Similar to how the listing on Specialized's website says the Shiv TT comes with an extra turbo cotton tire...none of the four people I know who got one got an extra tire in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took my Roval Disc in for a [potential] warranty issue. And I left that thing on there! Now I'm worried it won't come back with one!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're at it, let's talk valve cutout stickers. The stickers provided with the 321 do a great job of covering the large ovaltangular shape of the cutout. I'm sure I could use duct tape, but the stickers are really slick, fit the cutout perfectly, and leave no residue when removed. I've used 4 of the 6 that came with my wheel, and would like to be able to buy more.

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
While we're at it, let's talk valve cutout stickers. The stickers provided with the 321 do a great job of covering the large ovaltangular shape of the cutout. I'm sure I could use duct tape, but the stickers are really slick, fit the cutout perfectly, and leave no residue when removed. I've used 4 of the 6 that came with my wheel, and would like to be able to buy more.

That's easy. Take one that still has the backing on it to your local Vinyl sign shop to replicate. I got 100 for something like $25. Let them know you want a sticker, and not sign vinyl.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great tip, thx!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
You run the valve support on the inside for tubed operation and outside for tubeless. It is dual purpose.

That's pretty interesting, but too bad the valve support doesn't fit going from the inside out. I filed down the sides as much as I could, but the support still rocks as the hole is partially cut into the bead channels.

Also, I was/am using Bontrager tubes and the valve is reinforced with a layer of butyl, which seems to do a good job of protecting the tube around the hole.

Anyhow, I installed the support to see how it goes as I like that idea, but I hope I don't run into issues.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like something you could address with 3D printing. There seem to be tons of fiddly little parts that are made by 3rd party suppliers and supply chains are a big hassle even without COVID. What would it take to supply the design files for these non load bearing knick-knacks to a domestic 3D printing shop and let them make this stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

That's pretty interesting, but too bad the valve support doesn't fit going from the inside out. I filed down the sides as much as I could, but the support still rocks as the hole is partially cut into the bead channels.

It does work from both directions. It may rock a little bit due to curve on curve tolerance but that is fine. The pressure from the tube when inflated will hold it in place and the volcano from the stem will help center everything.

The purpose of the valve support tube when run from the inside is NOT sealing, it’s to protect the translational sheer loads from ripping the tube.

When run tubeless from underneath it will act as a seal because it is tightened between the valve nut.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Disc Wheel Valve Support (for Roval 321) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
This sounds like something you could address with 3D printing. There seem to be tons of fiddly little parts that are made by 3rd party suppliers and supply chains are a big hassle even without COVID. What would it take to supply the design files for these non load bearing knick-knacks to a domestic 3D printing shop and let them make this stuff?

For the record, I have been riding my prototype wheel for a few years without the support and only had 1 tube tear, which was from a field flat fix that I didn’t pay good attention to the installation and I had to bend the tube out the pocket to inflate it.

Don’t sweat not having the tube but I would run it if you can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The part is available and in-stock at Specialized now. Mine arrived today...
Quote Reply