Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
trail wrote:
More aero for the 28mm tires which are the new normal. I still suspect that 23mm tires on a high-end rim are better if you're seeking every last decimal point in CdA.
I assume, without evidence.

My 26c tires spread out to 28mm on the existing Rovals, which have a 21mm ID (same as the new ones). I would assume 28s would maybe get to 30-31 - wouldnt that be not-wide-enough for the wider rim?

I am interested in the idea of combining RR and aero to get one measurement - although RR is so surface/rider weight/tire dependent, it is hard to figure out how that might be practical. I am also willing to buy that a little wider could be more aero.

Wish Specialized would release some wind tunnel info on this.

Closest I know of
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...sheriff-in-town.html

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm converted over to road tubeless- would never go back to tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never saw the value of road tubeless. Tubeless solves many problems (pinch flatting, flatting in general, lower pressure for improved traction on loose surfaces, etc.) that are inherent in mountain biking and gravel riding. However, I don't see those as concerns for road riding, at least not enough to deal with the general hassle of tubeless technology. Actually, that should be tubeless technologIES since the industry still struggles with tubeless standards.

One real disadvantage of not being tubeless is the inability to swap wheel sets between road and gravel.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What hassles? With a good set of modern tubeless wheels and tires, I put sealant in maybe once a year and have to inflate no where near as often as latex requires. I can seat all of my wheels tubeless with a hand pump these days and put them on without a tire lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you about the road tubeless. However the industry is partially driven by marketing and partially by the need to sell stuff to make money...newer/faster/better sells things. Gives the marketing people something to do too.

It is interesting to note that the new Zipp 303s are rated only for 72 psi (or something low like that) but are really wide to encourage wider tires. It must only be a coincidence that tubeless performs better at lower pressures and that carbon sidewalls can only be designed for certain stresses before they are so thick they start adding significant weight.

Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/...-fastest-all-around/

Specialized has released a couple new wheels.

The new Raptide is super wide (outer width 33mm on the front and 30mm on the rear), has a mixed depth (51mm front and 60mm rear) and is meant to be a great all-arounder. Pretty light at 1400g.

The Alpanist is, as you would presume from the name, is their climbing wheel. Just 1248g and has a 21mm internal width and 33mm deep profile.

Perhaps the most surprising news from the release to most people is that the wheels are not tubeless compatible.

So now I am going grab some popcorn and hope to watch Slowman (who has many times preached the eventual death of tubes and says you’d be crazy to buy a non tubeless compatible wheel) and SuperDave (who current works for Roval and is always aggressive at pimping whatever product his current employer has released) duke it out.

Can you give me an example of me "pimping products"? I sure hope that's not the perception. I try to come on here occasionally to correct all the wild accusations and misinformation cast about as fact.

Here's a few:
*Rapide
*35mm
*29mm
*1415g
*Alpinist

I've been running both the Rapide and Alpinist tubeless for a year. Without an industry standard for tubeless fit and performance I don't think it's wise to proclaim compatibility until the list of wheel/tire combinations that work flawlessly exceed the wheel/tire combinations that don't. Or you could reduce the risk of system failure by requiring tires and pressures that are outside the common practices employed today.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
guadzilla wrote:
I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that 33-35mm wide rim is more aero than a 28mm one.

More aero for the 28mm tires which are the new normal. I still suspect that 23mm tires on a high-end rim are better if you're seeking every last decimal point in CdA.

I assume, without evidence.

you'd be right, 19mm tire, Mavic iO or other flat rim, zero yaw. That'll be a low CdA value.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Can you give me an example of me "pimping products"? I sure hope that's not the perception. I try to come on here occasionally to correct all the wild accusations and misinformation cast about as fact.

My use of the phrase pimping was meant to be in an endearing way (if that makes sense)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

My use of the phrase pimping was meant to be in an endearing way (if that makes sense)

Pardon if I leave "aggressive pimping" off my business card, endearing as it may be.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Roval Raptide and Alpinist [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno, it could look good on your curriculum vitae...but I suppose ‘forum speak’ should just be left to message boards and not the professional world

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next