Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported
Quote | Reply
I put in a tech support ticket when my May 31st work out didn't sync from TP to WKO4.

After an initial error where the tech support thought I had WKO5, I was told that their SSL certificate had expired and that WKO4 would no longer be supported.

Following is my response (happy to be corrected if I have made technical errors about SSL certificates), NB the TP/WKO general mail out follows that.

I understand TP/WKO’s phasing out old versions and encouraging new versions. That is fair enough and your right as a company.

What is disappointing is:
  1. You didn’t seem aware of the problem before the request for technical support.
  2. You didn’t seem aware that your SSL certificate was going to run out.
  3. No warning to the consumer that they will no longer be able to introduce workouts….you say effective June 1st on June 3rd….does that mean I can get my May 31st workout on there? (I understand that I can’t).
  4. The announcement of ‘effective June 1st’ 2 days after then.
  5. Only 2 weeks to update.

It does not give a lot of confidence to switch to WKO5 when you don’t keep up to date with your SSL certificates or give your customers any advance warning.

We're reaching out today to let you know that on May 30th, 2020, a worldwide expiration of an SSL security certificate affected the synchronization between WKO4 and TrainingPeaks. You may have noticed that your data no longer syncs between the two products.
Effective June 1st, you'll still be able to use WKO4 locally on any computer that already has it installed, including access to your personal charts.
However, you will no longer be able to:

· Install WKO4 on additional devices

· Sync workouts with TrainingPeaks

· Use Maps or New Default Charts
· Receive technical support from our Customer Support Team

This issue has affected many businesses around the world and would require significant resources to fix the problem. In truth, we are actively in the process of ramping down WKO4 for fall of 2020. So rather than investing time into fixing an older version of the software, we're offering you the chance to upgrade to WKO5 for 50% off.

Upgrading to WKO5 will help you achieve better results with individualized training zones, deeper insights into your training and the latest science-based training innovations.
To upgrade, use coupon code WKO5MAC50 before June 17th and receive 50% off!

Upgrade and Save

Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up upgrading this morning. I just got a new laptop and had put WKO5 on using the demo and was about to pull the trigger on the upgrade on the old 30% discount, so for me then it's been fortunate timing.

I do prefer 5 over 4, albeit that I still hark back to the good old days of WKO3.

My current bugbear is trying to get the swim distances in metres not yards. For some reason even though I've selected 'metric' then the dashboard is oddly converting the metric to yards. Hence my preference to the good days of WKO3.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are simply using the SSL certificate expiration as a reason to force people to pay to upgrade. Poor show, I won't be upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the 30% discount only apply to upgrades? Or to new installs as well? If for new installs as well, would you be so kind as to share the code?
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was described as upgrade to those of us that had previously paid the $150 (or whatever it was) for WKO4 only, and did seem to link to my email that they had on file. But you could always ask them. Doesn't cost anything to ask, and they can either say yes or no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I submitted a ticket on this issue on Monday and received the same exact reply today.

My feeling about the way that they have handled this is the same as yours. There should have been a forewarning. It seems that they plan on a 4-5 year lifespan for each new release of WKO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the end of a fairly bitter experience for me with WKO4.

Massively overrated IMO; the Windows app has always been buggy and for all the claims of fantastic flexibility and cutting edge metrics, you only have to dig a little under the surface to realise how much of it is bluster and marketing rather than substance.

It's really frustrating to be promised things like automated weight-import (a fairly important feature of a piece of training software IMO!) only to see it introduced into WKO5 and be told to suck it up and shell out again. Cutting off TP integration for importing everything else is the final nail in the coffin.

No thanks, I'll pass.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was considering WK05...........nail in that coffin.

Hell no. Absolute bullshit right there. If you're going to pull that crap, make it a subscription instead like everything else. If even Microsoft had the balls to finally admit to it with Microsoft Office products, TP can also.

I will NOT be getting WK05 after hearing this news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sick of the draconian licensing model that's straight out of 1995. I've had nearly every version of WKO, except the first, but I'll probably sit this version out and look into something like Golden Cheetah. I upgrade my computer pretty regularly and often forget to deactivate the license and then I have to go through the whole song and dance with support. It's irritating and I'm not going to deal with it anymore
Last edited by: jhammond: Jun 4, 20 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
I'm sick of the draconian licensing model that's straight out of 1995. I've had nearly every version of WKO, except the first, but I'll probably sit this version out and look into something like Golden Cheetah. I upgrade my computer pretty regularly and often forget to deactivate the license and then I have to go through the whole song and dance with support. It's irritating and I'm not going to deal with it anymore

Golden Cheetah is very powerful and I use it almost every day. It's maintained by a very loyal and altruistic bunch of folks that donate their time. There is a bit of a steep learning curve for a lot of people at first but for a technically savvy person it's not hard to learn. It does use the critical power model instead of FTP, and they've removed FTP metrics from the app. But that's really not that hard of an adjustment as there really isn't that big a difference between CP & FTP.

Needless to say I'm a big fan.
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We removed trademarks like TSS and NP and friends from GoldenCheetah because TP asked us to, but the metrics are still there if you need them. They just have different names like BikeStress and IsoPower.

We don't support sync to TP because they have closed that too. Otherwise we've been very busy with new features, user defined charts in 3.6 dev kick WKO5's butt. Hard.

Cheers
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
We don't support sync to TP because they have closed that too.

TP is extremely protective of their API. I've tried to talk to them about accessing data as I wanted to write a weight training app that would sync with TP (that I actually like) and they were pretty unequivocal in saying "no"
Quote Reply
Re: WKO4 no longer able to sync or supported [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more about their draconian licensing practices. Let's face it, Peaksware are the RacerMate (or Computrainer) of training platforms.

They have (or had) a great product in a market-leading position and are seemingly intent on driving it into the ground through their tone-deaf responses to their userbase and market directions.

We all know Strava have done the same for years, but at least they had a core product and critical mass of users that was unique enough to keep their userbase engaged. Strava seem to be changing tack with recent developments (which I fully support) but I can't see Peaksware doing anything remotely similar.

I was an avid TP-subscriber for many years and eventually purchased WKO4, but now haven't touched either in 18+ months. I can't see what they're offering at all now and feel like they'll merely be a footnote to the past in a few years time.
Quote Reply