Prev Next
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
MRid wrote:
this is from the IM AZ website

Quote:

Athletes who register on or before March 1, 2020 are eligible to defer their entry into the 2021 IRONMAN Arizona free of charge. All deferral requests will be honored until October 8, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral. The deferral may only be used once. Athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any partial refund, ability to transfer or insurance refund. To submit a deferral request. please contact arizona@ironman.com.

so it seems that you can defer til 2021

I see that on the website now. I'm pretty sure that wasn't there three weeks ago when I asked them the question. I would have noticed that and I would have assumed they would have answered my question.

Thanks for pointing it out. Oddly enough IMChatt doesn't have that same offer and happens nearly two months earlier.

It's spelled out pretty clearly on the registration page for IMChoo

a) Partial Refund
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via email to the race contact email. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before August 13, 2020 to be eligible for a partial refund of $150.00 USD. Deferments are NOT permitted. The Withdrawal Policy also applies to the Foundation and Relay Entries.
b) Deferral Option
Athletes who register on or before January 5, 2020 are eligible to defer their entry into the 2021 IRONMAN Chattanooga free of charge. All deferral requests will be honored until August 13, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral. The deferral may only be used once. Athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any partial refund, ability to transfer or insurance refund. To submit a deferral request. please contact chattanooga@ironman.com.
c) NORTH AMERICAN TRANSFER PROGRAM
Athletes who are unable to attend the event are eligible to transfer their entry into a 2020 North American IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 race that has general entry slots available. Transfer requests out of IRONMAN Chattanooga will be honored until August 13, 2020. Please visit the North American Transfer Program website prior to submitting your request to view additional program policies. To submit a transfer request. please contact chattanooga@ironman.com.Athletes must transfer out of this race by August 13, 2020 and into the transfer event no later than 45days prior to event. All transfer requests are subject to availability. To inquire about a transfer, please contact the race email.

Thanks. The IMAZ site had a Free Deferral Program section and the IMChatt had it under Withdrawal Options so I didn't see it. Consistency between their race websites would be nice.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Malaysia has almost no deaths daily after re opening their economy a month ago and only have 115 deaths during this entire time. The manufacturing sector has put pressure on the govt for full operations as its crippling the country (for not that many cases), not to mention hammering global supply chains. In any case, based on what I have read about what is going on there, should be very viable for am IM Malaysia later this year, the question is whether it is local athletes only.

The viability of running Ironman Malaysia would be determined by the Thai/Malaysia bubble and the situation in Singapore.They have been allowing migrant workers to cross the southern Thai border for a couple of weeks now and the airports are opening up between "friendly countries" in the area although quarantine still applies..Singapore is the main one and I say this because a huge number of athletes who compete in the two Malaysian races are from Malaysia,Singapore,Thailand and Hong Kong. Don't forget as well the 70.3 race that weekend in Langkawi is also the Asia Pacific Champs.I think it will go ahead but without the Australian,New Zealand or Indian contingent which will be tough for them as a lot of the management of IM Malaysia are Australian (same goes for the Goa race).

Laguna Phuket relies heavily of foreign athletes as historically it hasn't been too popular with Thai's as it is an expensive race.

The Vietnam 70.3 doesn't "need" any foreign athletes to go ahead as last year over one thousand locals raced.

Borders are opening in SE Asia. Think Thailand will start allowing international flights July 1st
Singapore now has a green zone with China (6 cities) and talks are going on with ANZ, S Korea and HK
By Nov, i think both countries will have at least 20-25 countries in this bubble?
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
MRid wrote:

Quote:

Athletes who register on or before March 1, 2020 are eligible to defer their entry into the 2021 IRONMAN Arizona free of charge. All deferral requests will be honored until October 8, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral. The deferral may only be used once. Athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any partial refund, ability to transfer or insurance refund. To submit a deferral request. please contact arizona@ironman.com.

So doesn't this end all the speculation?

If any races are held this year:

If you don't want to race, you won't have to...you can defer to 2021 no matter what.

If you do want to race, you race.

End of story here on ST?

It ends the speculation for IMAZ...
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [YorktownTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YorktownTri wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Yep - 2020 is done for mass races. Lets all come to terms with that!

Hold on there. Ironman 70.3 Lubbock is in 24 days and Ironman 70.3 Muncie in 38 days. Both appear to be going forward.

This will really piss off the chicken littles who said no races until 2021. Now they’ll be hoping for a massive COVID outbreak among participants so they can say I told you so.
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The deferral verbiage is standard for the Ironman events (not 70.3). I have used it a few times now - pretty seamless process in my mind.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
MRid wrote:

Quote:

So doesn't this end all the speculation?

If any races are held this year:

If you don't want to race, you won't have to...you can defer to 2021 no matter what.

If you do want to race, you race.

End of story here on ST?

It ends the speculation for IMAZ...

I was looking into IM Maryland in early March. Asked Ironman about deferral and they said if you hadn't registered by January 1, 2020 you couldn't defer.

Like what IMAZ says above. If you registered before March 1 you can defer. If you register after March 1 you can't defer. I think the only way to defer after March 1 entry is if they cancel or postpone the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
YorktownTri wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Hold on there. Ironman 70.3 Lubbock is in 24 days and Ironman 70.3 Muncie in 38 days. Both appear to be going forward.

This will really piss off the chicken littles who said no races until 2021. Now they’ll be hoping for a massive COVID outbreak among participants so they can say I told you so.

Don't be ridiculous. I've been firmly in the "no races in 2020" camp but I hope like hell things can return to some form of normalcy and some races can happen. Wouldn't piss me off at all. I also hope nobody gets infected as a result of a race being allowed to happen. Nobody is hoping anyone gets sick.

I said this in the Lubbock thread that it could be a race that could go on because it has been historically one of the least attended IM70.3 races in North America. So if they only get 400 or so to show up maybe that's a doable event. 2,500 to 3,000+ at races like IMAZ, IMFL, or Augusta 70.3 is less doable and less safe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:

Yeah, um, no one is hoping for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean you think that everyone who said no racing in 2020 will want an outbreak that’ll kill maybe 100,000 more people just so they can say “I told you so!”? That’s one of the dumbest comments I’ve read on ST and that’s saying a lot!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
YorktownTri wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Congrats. This is officially the stupidest thing I've seen all day.
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I actually sent them that very same question and got some robo-response that didn't answer anything at all. Just the typical we're monitoring the situation, blah, blah, blah.

I have IMChatt and IMAZ yet to be canceled but I've already decided I'm not racing this year. Too many variables and the back to racing guidance I've seen doesn't offer up enough real world practicality. So I plan to sit 2020 out and see how this all shakes out for 2021.

Same boat here and would rather move on. The time and effort to get ready for IM is simply not worth the risk to me of having it cancelled a month before the race. Pondering some new goals for this year and will hope to reboot tri in 2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
YorktownTri wrote:
triczyk wrote:

I've said all along no racing til 2021, earliest, and am not a chicken little....Are you a chicken little?
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Wait is there still a pandemic? According to everything I’ve seen in the last week with the protests/riots social distancing appears to officially be over. Pretty scary actually since I’m in the medical field directly dealing with covid.

Ain't it the truth. The f'ing media cannot sustain their/our interest in anything for much longer than a week. A week ago we were going to reform the whole nursing home system in my area. Now not a peep about that. Although they did a pretty good job with covid. Two weeks ago if you participated in a mass protest you would have been a very evil person indeed. Now not so much. Somedays I wonder if the demise of Western civilization will be short attention spans.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of triathlon and there is a high % of volunteers in the older, covid-high risk, age brackets. Wonder how they found volunteers for Muncie.

Quote | Reply
The volunteer thing is going to be an issue. Most races are begging for volunteers during normal times.

Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I've done a lot of triathlon and there is a high % of volunteers in the older, covid-high risk, age brackets. Wonder how they found volunteers for Muncie.

Have you been to Indiana? Or places like downstate Illinois, or Iowa?

I was in Indiana, downstate Illinois and Iowa for work all in the past 10 days. For better...or worse... I can tell you most people are pretty much going about their lives like normal. Sure, hotels are enacting some protocols... but it's pretty loose, can tell you. Maybe a bit of social distancing. Maybe I saw 15-20% of people wearing masks. People are eating in restaurants, etc... like nothing has happened. I'm talking Lafayette, IN, Bloomington, IL, Iowa City, IA, Des Moines, IA.

Again - quite possibly/probably... that is not the best course of action. But it is the course of action being taken.

So maybe Ironman has fewer volunteers... and quite likely they would make racers have to be much more self-reliant....but I would guess they can find people to volunteer at a race like Muncie. Maybe not at every host city/race...but probably at race locations in states that are much more open.
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any speculation as to how race insurance will play into this?

Let's say IMAZ is cancelled but offers a defer program to the next year. If I have race insurance, do I then have the option of a refund through the insurance provider or deferring until 2021 (and waiving insurance)?
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The President of Triathlon Australia registered for Ironman Cairns (Sept 27th) yesterday so maybe she knows something we don't.I asked her about it as I am on the fence about that race but she played it cool.My bet is that Cairns and the rest of the late year races in Oz are a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Say an Ironman races occurs in 2020... [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Muncie has never even acknowledged the pandemic existed. Every other race I registered for has provided updates on their situation, even if it has been just wait a few weeks. Looking at Muncie’s Facebook posts you would never know anything different was happening. They are currently not offering deferrals, so it’s race at your risk. People want everything to return to normal, and Indiana is basically lifting all restrictions put in place to stem the outbreak on July 4th. Any volunteer over 65 yo, will get a free volunteers t-shirt, and one of the recently introduced IM branded face masks, so that’s something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are less than 21 days till Lubbock and it is still on...Let the count down start

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next