Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breaking in Bont shoes?
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a pair of Bont Riot+ shoes through the Slowtwitch sale, but just got around to trying them on yesterday. I rolkowed their sizing wizard on the site, but the shoes feel pretty tight.

For those that use Bont shoes, how long do they take to break in? Do they loosen up at all? Does the heatmolding process provide any more comfort?

I'm hesitant to do the heatmolding process in case I should have gone with the wide version instead of the regular, then can't return them.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking in Bont shoes? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one pair of Bonts purchased some years ago that fit me perfectly and were really great, but then 4 years later I bought a replacement pair that were just a little narrow on one foot. Nothing sadly could fix that tightness and I ended up giving them away - the heat moulding with both pairs honestly felt like it did absolutely nothing and they certainly didn’t feel any better with “wearing in”. My conclusion is that if they are tight, they will always be tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi gmh39,
Just sent you an email.
In general, if they feel too narrow right off the bat, then I would suggest that a wider size option is probably be better for you.
The heat moulding step is a great fine tuning option, but it would not likely make them feel significantly looser in the forefoot.

Hope this helps!

Best,
MT
Last edited by: MC2 Bont: May 31, 20 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open garbage, place inside, order a pair of Sidis....

I had a pair of Bonts along time ago, did the heat molding and everything, shoes fit well, but were never comfortable riding even after breaking in. I'm sure they are good shoes, just depends on whose feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking in Bont shoes? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2.....most uncomfortable shoes ever! Lasted 1 ride. I honestly don’t understand how people wear them. I felt I was wearing a wooden shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Vaypor + and they were definitely the stiffest shoes that I had ever worn. I got rid of it because there I had a bunion that it kept pinching plus the arch was too high. I think heat molding works to fine tune any minor pressure points but if it is really uncomfortable, the size might not work for you. I found that being 1/2 too big or small as well as getting it too narrow affects your feet more in bonts compared to other shoes I've worn simply because of the bathtub shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOnt's are so special they've deseved their own threads for years. This one is still going since 2007:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...p?p=1539699#p1539699

I bought a pair and "fought" to get a good fit for all the 4 years I used them. I used all the tricks, multiple high heat molding (they just don't "move" if you follow the heat molding guide, you have to heat them at higher temperatures, for a longer time), screwdriver head "push" with very high heat ( heat gun) on all the sensitive parts, etc...
For fun I put my feet in a pair of Riot's last winter, and thought: -"Boy, I must have been crazy to ride such shoes for 4 years, lol !"

Some people are just fine with the fit. Lucky them.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking in Bont shoes? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oddly I must be that one person who they fit out of the box. I do have a somewhat narrow foot, but for sure I am picky on fit. The Bont Zero and Vaypor G ( mtb/Gravel) both out fo the box have been great, super stiff for sure, but maybe I was conditioned as I had custom LUST shoes that were beyond stiff for many years. But for sure I'd agree if you have to make them work, try another size or move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to experiment try Lake wide or extra wide via competitive cyclist. I got some wides after blood pressure meds got increased (thus increasing swell of blood vessels in my feet). Very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had custom, semi-custom & off the shelf. I have found off the shelf were actually more comfortable and adaptable then the others. I have no problem saving a few Ben Franklin's and going with what a store has in stock, as long it is decent stock. Currently looking at shoes now to buy, but want to make sure it isn't too stiff, too wimply of a sole, too heavy, too unbreathable...so there are actually a lot of stock shoes out there like that. It's a matter of finding the right shop with them in stock & there aren't a lot of shops with a huge variety. If there aren't local options I'll have to go online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine didn’t fit, but MT was unexpectedly helpful in letting me try different sizes / styles to try and get a fit.

I’d reach out to them and try a different size

Even tho they didn’t fit me, I’d hands down recommend them just for service
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking in Bont shoes? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Mine didn’t fit, but MT was unexpectedly helpful in letting me try different sizes / styles to try and get a fit.

I’d reach out to them and try a different size

Even tho they didn’t fit me, I’d hands down recommend them just for service

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I had email MT, but figured it was the weekend so I wouldn't hear back till Monday. Surprisingly, I got a reply only a few hours later! And on top of that lots of help in trying different width sizes.

Even if they end up not being the shoe I go with, I'd still recommend anyone looking for shoes to take a look at them solely based on the customer service.

Strava
Quote Reply