Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sram mixed with Shimano?
Quote | Reply
Good morning, I would appreciate any help possibly on a question I am having a hard time finding a straight forward answer to. I have a p2 with an Ultegra 8000 11-28 cassette, a dura Ace 9000 front and rear (short cage) derailleur. And stock fsa gossamer . Would an Sram red 22 Crankset be compatible with the Ultegra and dura Ace component’s? The reason I am looking at Sram is because it wouldn’t require me to change out the bottom bracket asThe fsa and Sram cranksets are both pf30’s. Thanks, any input will be greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [Brandon443] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will work. Just like the FSA works with both Shimano and Sram groupsets, as do most crank-based PMs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I run Di2 on both my bikes with Quarq (Sram) powermeters. No problems at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but don't discount the idea of using an adapter if you have a different crank, a lot of adapters, i.e. wheels mgfr. Work very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. I am running a SRAM Red 22 crankset with Di2 8600 on my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By any chance, either of the two posters that said they use SRAM.. is your cranks 110 or 130 bcd??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running 52/36 110 bcd Red 22 cranks on both of my bikes. Though, I have eTap on my road bike, so that is a matched set.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about cassette? Can I use Sram 10 speed cassette with 10 speed Ultegra rear derailleur, crank and Shimano chain??
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Shimano/Sram are interchangeable.

Sure they are "optimal" if you use a shimano chain with a shimano cassette, etc. But the systems interoperate just fine (look at neutral service cars in the TdF, they will put a Sram wheel on a Shimano-equipped bike and vice-versa).

My Zwift bike uses Ultegra, but a Sram cassette, and my tri bike has Sram Force (10spd), but runs an Ultegra cassette.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Yes. Shimano/Sram are interchangeable.

Sure they are "optimal" if you use a shimano chain with a shimano cassette, etc. But the systems interoperate just fine (look at neutral service cars in the TdF, they will put a Sram wheel on a Shimano-equipped bike and vice-versa).

My Zwift bike uses Ultegra, but a Sram cassette, and my tri bike has Sram Force (10spd), but runs an Ultegra cassette.

Perfect! A friend of mine has an extra Sram cassette, so I was going to use it if that works. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr, did you have a shop put these components on your bike or were you able to do it yourself? Every so I talk to keeps hesitating when I tell them I want to put an Sram Crankset on with a da front and rear derailleur and Ultegra cassette.. only one person had said that it’d be no problem but said just be careful and try not to mix the shifters and derailleur is I understood him correctly. From forums I’ve been on I feel people have absolutely no problem mixing the two components brand. I’m just having a hard time figuring out exactly what bb/adapter I need it I were to purchase a new bb, might make me sound stood but that bb stuff gets confusing quickly!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A small word of caution about assuming SRAM/Shimano are fully interchangeable. A lot of the drive chain is, but take care to match shifters and derailleurs as the pull ratio is different and will throw the indexing out. But for cassettes, chainsets, chains - yeah it is all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So given the helpful information.. anyone reading this thread, if you had the chance to go with an Sram red Crankset (new but older model I believe) or a new Ultegra 8000 Crankset, which way wood people go? Posting it up with da 9000 derailleurs and Ultegra cassette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the Red. It looks better, and is a boat load lighter than the ultegra. I've been running a sram red crankset on both ultegra and dura-ace drivetrains with no issues what so ever. The chain thickness is close enough that there is no issue on mixing chains/cassettes/chainrings.

Just don't mix derailleurs and shifters, that doesn't work...
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakie, thank you for the input. Do you have any idea, I have a 2017 p2 with a bbright shell.. any idea what bb/adapter would be needed to run this SRAM Crankset? Is it just the bbright to gxp adapter/bb? Or is it something different
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed it earlier on what exact crank you have. There are two sram cranks one fits gxp one is designed for bb30 so the adapter depends on which one you have. If you have a bb30 sram crankset i think it should work with BBright just fine.

Someone else may need confirm this though.
Last edited by: Gilliga: Jun 2, 20 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t bought exactly yet, but here is the Crankset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon443 wrote:
Oakie, thank you for the input. Do you have any idea, I have a 2017 p2 with a bbright shell.. any idea what bb/adapter would be needed to run this SRAM Crankset? Is it just the bbright to gxp adapter/bb? Or is it something different

Do you know the spindle diameter of the crankset? I am pretty sure SRAM has makes Red cranks with both the 24mm GXP diameters and the larger 30mm diameter for use in PF30/BB30 frames. In any case i don't think you want an adaptor but do need to be super careful about which BB you buy. There is something about the offset in the bbright systems that means Shimano and SRAM cranks aren't 100% cross compatable in terms of BB even though they both will work. Wheels mfg has all potential options but you will notice you do need to specify SRAM vs Shimano on the 24mm spindle option. https://wheelsmfg.com/...rackets/bbright.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess my phone is saying its to Big to upload pictures to show the Crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is a screen shot of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram mixed with Shimano? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Crankset is listed as a bb30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to be a little bit careful here around the crankset spindle length.

My memory is hazy, so perhaps somebody else can step in. But from memory (and I hope this makes sense);

BBright bottom bracket shells are wide enough to fit "standard" BSA 68mm spindle lengths. Which is why you can fit a GXP or similar with the right adaptors. I think a frame with BBright is actually 11mm (anyone?) wider than standard BB30.

BB30 defines a larger spindle diameter of 30mm (doh) but also the "standard" BB30 cranksets have a shorter spindle, ostensibly to allow a lower Q factor, if that is your cup of tea.

Some "BB30" chainsets are actually kind of inbetweeners, in the sense that they do have a 30mm diameter spindle but also a longer spindle. For example, the older Quarq S951 and similar. These can be made to fit into standard BB30 bottom brackets with the right spacers, because they are longer. You just space them out. You can also make them work in standard BSA bottom brackets with the right outboard bearing adaptors/BB cups (eg Rotor) and fewer spacers, taking care over chainline.

From what I have read, the SRAM Force 22 has the longer spindle still, like the older Quarq-equipped stuff. However the SRAM Red 22 is "genuine" BB30 with the shorter spindle.

Based on the above, I'm not at all sure that the spindle length in the Red 22 will work in BBright. Your frame's BB shell may be too wide.

The following seems to agree...
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=125075

Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable can confirm? But I'm not sure Red 22 will work for you. You could always ping the guys at Wheels Mfg an email or a call, they will know for sure I bet.

Thanks,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 2, 20 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandon443 wrote:
Titanflexr, did you have a shop put these components on your bike or were you able to do it yourself? Every so I talk to keeps hesitating when I tell them I want to put an Sram Crankset on with a da front and rear derailleur and Ultegra cassette.. only one person had said that it’d be no problem but said just be careful and try not to mix the shifters and derailleur is I understood him correctly. From forums I’ve been on I feel people have absolutely no problem mixing the two components brand. I’m just having a hard time figuring out exactly what bb/adapter I need it I were to purchase a new bb, might make me sound stood but that bb stuff gets confusing quickly!!

I do most of my own wrenching. Headsets and BBs are about all I leave to the shops.

As noted, shifters/deraileurs need to be brand matched (i.e. you can’t pair a sram shifter with a shimano derailleur).

As far as interoperability, look at it this way; plenty of bike companies put FSA cranks on both shimano and sram builds to save money. This would not be possible if there was not interoperability. Bike shops build/sell such bikes all the time.

Quote Reply