Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this carbon rim damage?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Are these safe and would you ride these wheels? I don't recall if those lines have been there in the past, but saw them after a recent ride in particular where I hit a small pothole after taking my eye off the road for 2 seconds. There is no friction on the brake track. It is still perfectly smooth with zero rough edges along those lines and there are no raised edges at all. And they are found on both sides of rim. You think this is structural or perhaps just what the composite looks like?

I sent an email to MAVIC earlier this week and haven't heard back so with the weekend coming wanted to see your collective opinions.

Thank you.
Last edited by: maninthearena: May 29, 20 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [maninthearena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like an abrasion/scratch. Can you see if the carbon weave is disrupted since it has a distinct pattern? I couldn't tell by the pic. If the weave looks uniform/unbroken I would ride on them and it most likely is just a scratch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
The weave looks uniform and unbroken. If it weren't for the line you can see you wouldn't notice a thing...it really is perfectly smooth. I was wondering if that was maybe how carbon indicates a structural issue underneath/inside etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both lines seem to be in the same type of arc, so it could be where the carbon fiber overlaps.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems logical.

I think we are good. If anyone feels they will crumble beneath me let me know!

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. It's the overlap of the plain weave strip used to form the sidewall. This is apparent on all rims, but most use unidirectional on the sidewall and it's harder to pick up the discrepancy as the overlap is typically cut at the same angle of the fibers.

Last edited by: waitebe: May 29, 20 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah bro, ride those wheels. I wouldn't hesitate a bit or worry about riding those. I have seen and ridden way worse looking carbon.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Is this carbon rim damage? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If those two pictures are on different sides of the rim then it looks like it's just the carbon layup and OK. The lines look too symmetrical to be an underlying carbon fatigue, especially if the lines look the same on both sides of the rim. Carbon failure usually won't look so symmetrical.
Quote Reply