Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
1. What do you eat on monster rides? With my college-aged son at home, I've changed my plans so I can run with him most every day since I did not think I would ever be able to do that again (I coached and ran with him through high school). So we are up to 1:45 long runs and then I ride after (on Sat morn) and try to get to 5 hours total. At least half the time, I get an upset stomach four to five hours in and then stop eating. If I drink a sports drink, it is Gatorade because it is cheap; if it is solid food, it is a bagel. When I was younger I tried a few longer events and my limitation was always digestion. Is that something you trained your stomach to do, or am I just not blessed with a stomach that tolerates exercise and eating?

You typed a paragraph about getting through a long session without mentioning gels. I think they help immensely if you are not using them already.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:
Yesterday I crossed 10,000 miles ridden in 2020. Yep....I live in Wisconsin so lots of Zwift miles. But because I live in WI I also log plenty of nice and slow fat bike miles as well as daddy daughter MTB miles :) 457 hours logged just in riding this year so far. 544 miles per week average the last 11 weeks since my last race. I also do a fairly reasonable strength program....I'm 42 after all :)

So now we are counting trainer time as "miles?" I'll give people a pass that stop riding outside for whatever reason, that's your choice, but it you didn't go anywhere you didn't log miles.

Besides that, the data you give means you averaged almost 22 mph. I'm calling shenanigans.

I was scrolling down looking for the first "Zwift mile denier" and you win the prize. Its such an odd choice of hills to die on. Distance, even outdoors is not a gold standard for measuring volume. I have ridden 200km bike races on the flats and taken just a bit over 4 hours and then Ive done MTB rides covering 60km in the same time with much more effort. Elevation, altitude, weather, equipment-all render distance fairly useless as a training metric on the bike.

So even if Zwift inflates his number by 10% its par for the course, you could do the same outdoors by riding a TT bike with aerowheels and a skinsuit all the time. 10000 miles in less than 6 months is a verging on a shitload-end of story.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Full breakfast ~1000 calories. Oats and eggs is the base. Add ins like Maple Syrup / raisens to get to ~1000 :)

During the ride I generally shoot for 400 / hour. That's a mix of energy bars (I sponsor Clif bars to the tune of about 30-40 per week)...and have used many many other bars, Anderson's Pure Fuel Maple Syrup, and Endurelite Sustain while also spoon feeding PerformX. Depending on how hot it is and how much fluid I need determines the ratio between solids / liquids. So generally shooting for ~400 cals or more per hour if feeling like it and I seem to have a go to peanut butter sandwich about ~6 hours in if a real long ride. I carry my Pure Fuel in a flask. 500 calories per flask :) I've done up to 25 ounces...ounces of syrup in one race.

The build. That's real hard because I'm a life long endurance nut and I'm 42. Everyone is different there. I was probably at 10-12 4 years ago and have just migrated upward slowly every since.

2019 I pedaled my bike for 1120 hours in 2019.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shoot for 400 calories an hour.

Well, that would explain a lot of things then. If I am very careful, set a timer and mix my calories precisely, I can sometimes manage up to 150 cal/hour. If you can can consume 400 calories an hour then it is no wonder that you can ride such distances. Being able to consume 400 cal/hour without an upset stomach is a talent unto itself. I can't manage solid foods at all while exercising and I was about 50/50 when I tried Perpetuem during half-ironman races; some days I made it through the run and some days my stomach rebelled and I walked a lot. Or I underfed and bonked early in the run. I finally gave up and just raced duathlon and run events that lasted less than 1:30. Recently, I've started doing 4-6 hour gravel races and I get through them on about 350 calories. Any more than than and my stomach tries to hurl and I can't eat for an hour or two after I finish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well guess that explains why I cant win a AG on my 624 hours a year.

MadTownTRI wrote:
Quote:

At least back then, 1000 hrs was pro circuit "requirement", 800 hrs you're breaking into national level, under 600 hrs, not enough for regional. Like you said, volume trumps mostly everything.

This is gold-- good breakdown and cross-sport perspective. I've seen a similar breakdown on getting to Kona from Alan Couzens on his blog about competitive tri and Kona qualifying. Seems like 800/yr is the likely minimum cost of admission to Kona, with 1000 getting everyone of his athletes who has ever tried it onto the big island.

https://www.alancouzens.com/...kona_qualifiers.html

Quote:

That said, I can only recall 1 athlete in my history of coaching who trained a 1000+hr year and didn’t qualify (and he did qualify off that base the following year). Given the time commitment & a bit of persistence, a Kona slot is a realistic possibility for just about everyone.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I shoot for 400 calories an hour.

Well, that would explain a lot of things then. If I am very careful, set a timer and mix my calories precisely, I can sometimes manage up to 150 cal/hour. If you can can consume 400 calories an hour then it is no wonder that you can ride such distances. Being able to consume 400 cal/hour without an upset stomach is a talent unto itself. I can't manage solid foods at all while exercising and I was about 50/50 when I tried Perpetuem during half-ironman races; some days I made it through the run and some days my stomach rebelled and I walked a lot. Or I underfed and bonked early in the run. I finally gave up and just raced duathlon and run events that lasted less than 1:30. Recently, I've started doing 4-6 hour gravel races and I get through them on about 350 calories. Any more than than and my stomach tries to hurl and I can't eat for an hour or two after I finish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chad

When I used to eat solid foods while racing, my stomach would often rebel during the run.

I switched to all liquid calories and never looked back. Most people can consume 4-6 calories/kg/hour of liquids while biking at moderate to higher efforts. Most people can consume 1-2 calories/kg/hour of liquids hour while running.

I'm not sure why you picked perpetuem. That makes some people vomit if they drink it while lounging around.....

It sounds like you have decided to race shorter races but I suspect that with a little effort you could figure out how to fuel for longer events.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why you picked perpetuem. That makes some people vomit if they drink it while lounging around.....

It sounds like you have decided to race shorter races but I suspect that with a little effort you could figure out how to fuel for longer events.

I did not go into excruciating detail in my post, but I have had stomach issues since I started running at 12 years old and I've been dealing with this for 35+ years. When I race, I have to be careful what I eat THE NIGHT BEFORE, or I will have cramps during the race. I've tried a lot of different things including liquid-only and to a greater or lesser extent, my stomach always hates me. I found out last year that people would call what I do working out in a fasted state since it has often been 12 hours since I ate. I'm older now and past my prime so it is not a big deal anymore, but I was curious how someone puts in such long rides. If he can eat solid foods and keep chugging along hour after hour, that was the answer. I can't managed half of what he does even if it was liquid.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you do some road riding early in the morning.... what do you recommend for a light for early risers? Given my bar set up on my road bike i am looking for something that could go on a go pro mount (aero road bar doesn't leave much room for the clamp style lights).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Bontrager Ion Pro RT. That can mount to a round bar, gopro mount, or...bintrager even makes helmets they can be magnetically attached. I prefer the helmet route mostly so when I look down I can see my computer.

1200 lumens, bluetooth, rechargeable, excellent battery life. I have ran dual in events like DAMn with a midnight start one on the bar, one on the helmet

Nice to read cue cards for a midnight start in a race navigated exclusively with cue cards :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ve got a specialized evade so will need to check if a light can be mounted to that helmet.

All of this aero stuff brings some challenges...

Really appreciate the quick response.
Quote Reply
Re: 10,000 ridden YTD 2020...ask me anything...or don't! [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will not work on evade. I race in the Ballista unless its dark :) I have Circuit Mips for my light helmet. That also accepts a tail light. I always train with a tail light on bike and helmet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of total are you going to end up with this year?

Again, thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am at 24,847 now.

I ran myself pretty ragged due to time off after Maah Daah Hey 150. Strung together 5000+ in 9 weeks but now cruising into port :) Will be just shy of 1200 bike hours logged.

Quote Reply

Prev Next