Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITU Worlds pushed back
Quote | Reply
ITU Multisport Worlds in Almere has been pushed back one year, with the next two host locations agreeing to push back one year as well. Dates are not available yet.

Hopefully the qualified team will still be qualified and additional spots available through USA Nationals (if it happens in November).

https://almere.triathlon.org/...CW5s8DItv0r1nw2ryfwQ
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a surprise, but I was holding out hope. The Aquathlon was supposed to be my A race this year. I was about to pull the trigger on travel, too.

Too many questions needed answers though, like would they require negative tests before allowing anyone to compete and who would pay for them, or would national federations step up to make the tests available, impact of travel restrictions (wouldn't blame the EU if they locked us Americans out), etc. I do hope I can keep my spot, as I really didn't want to go to aquathlon nationals in Miami again this year and there doesn't seem to be any other sanctioned aquathlon events in the near future either.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting! I haven't gotten an email from USAT yet, so this is helpful. Of course, it would be even more helpful if they'd tell us when in 2021 they're planning on holding the rescheduled event. I've got a nonrefundable VRBO booked in Amsterdam around the 2020 date; rather than losing the $$ I spent on it, I'd rather ask the owner if I can switch to 2021. Hard to do that if I don't know the 2021 dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
ITU Multisport Worlds in Almere has been pushed back one year, with the next two host locations agreeing to push back one year as well. Dates are not available yet.

Hopefully the qualified team will still be qualified and additional spots available through USA Nationals (if it happens in November).

https://almere.triathlon.org/...CW5s8DItv0r1nw2ryfwQ

It doesn't help you folks south of the border, and our processes in Canada for Qualifying are a bit different, but we all got emails from TriCan last night informing us of the postponement. Our slots roll over, so there's no need to re-qualify (for those who don't want to attend in 2021, they are doing pro-rated refunds of team fees (roughly 50%), but can't do anything about uniforms since those are custom and were ordered before COVID became the issue it is now (that said, the uniforms won't change for 2021, so those who are racing won't need to order any new kit)). They are exploring the possibility of additional qualifiers for the few remaining slots (or relinquished slots from people withdrawing with the year shift), but that's TBC.

In terms of my thoughts, it's a bit weird... I believe they absolutely made the right decision, and this was a herculean effort to get 3 sets of LOCs, local, state/provincial and federal governments on board with doing the lift and shift to move 3 years of championships (not to mention other events surrounding some of these, to prevent clashes)... But from a fairness perspective (in terms of access to training facilities, travel restrictions, etc.) and from a safety perspective, the extra 12 months make a lot of sense, in terms of giving a better chance for a vaccine to be available, for people to be able to safely travel, and to be able to have a more normal event (or if there are post-COVID procedural modifications, to have a few other events first to iron out the kinks...). That said it feels weird to have the main goal race for the year lifted and shifted... It was easy to try and stay on top of training in lockdown with the possibility of racing in the fall, with any racing this year likely being minor races late in the season, it's a big shift in the focus (on the plus side as someone who had a shite 2019 with illness and injury, it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise to use 2020 as a long-assed base building phase, and then focus on bringing the speed back in 2021). I am happy that they were able to do the lift and shift, because I had no intention of qualifying for or racing in Townsville (costs of an Australia trip would be significantly higher than a Euro Trip for worlds), and would have likely withdrawn, if they moved on to Townsville for 2021, and rolled over our slots...
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’re very much on the same page. I’m happier about the lift and shift (I like that term!) because I don’t plan to go to Australia.

Also, I am way behind on my swimming and was going to be hard pressed to be ready for September anyway.

I just want clarification from USA Triathlon that our spots roll to 2021. It could be automatic because I’m not sure that Miami Man (USA Nationals) will happen in November anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm curious about the roll-over. For aquathlon at least, I don't think you have to even go to nationals in Miami, I think they offer spots to those in the top rankings (which are compiled from other races as well)-- however, there aren't any other aquathlons happening! I've sent them an email trying to get those answers (also what happens in the case Miami Man is cancelled).

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This does screw up everyone who was trying to qualify for 2021 in 2020 (or even if they do early 2021). Just because this year is cancelled, all those trying to qualify for 2021 should not be shut out if everyone from 2020 rolls over.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After rolling over the Almere qualifiers to Almere 2021, there would still be open spots left on most rosters (by race and age group) and the Miami Man 2020 race should be used to fill those remaining spots.

Honor what has already been earned (spots on the Almere team) and use nationals to race for the remaining spots. It’s the best of both worlds.

If Miami Man 2020 doesn’t happen, then you have your team already set.

We need to respect the precedent set by events like the Olympics (the marathon team, for example). Once a team has been named, those people shouldn’t have to race again to earn what they’ve already earned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless on how you feel about the decision I suppose its for the best and at least people now know what to expect over the next few years. Pushing everything back by one year seems like the most logical solution in my opinion even though its not the only option. However I'm surprised that the same announcement has yet to be done for Edmonton or any real announcement besides cancellation for that matter. I know that there are much more important issues in the world right now compared to triathlon races but it would be nice to know if Edmonton will be in 2021 or if they will go to Bermuda...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They haven't even finished awarding the spots for the roster yet. I was to be in the next group to be awarded through the aquabike national rankings and was going to accept my slot. Now I'm not sure what will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So disappointed but totally understandable here in Europe. My first year vet 55 and trained really hard over the winter with the Iron distance as my A race. As you get older there aren’t that many seasons left😂.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [CoolDownChamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CoolDownChamp wrote:
Regardless on how you feel about the decision I suppose its for the best and at least people now know what to expect over the next few years. Pushing everything back by one year seems like the most logical solution in my opinion even though its not the only option. However I'm surprised that the same announcement has yet to be done for Edmonton or any real announcement besides cancellation for that matter. I know that there are much more important issues in the world right now compared to triathlon races but it would be nice to know if Edmonton will be in 2021 or if they will go to Bermuda...

I would like to know if Edmonton gets delayed to 2021 or if world's will be in Bermuda. My A event this year was Canadian nationals in 4 weeks in Montreal to try to qualify for Bermuda 2021 as it's my first year in 55-59. We just got a communication that Montreal nationals is looking at at date in October. I do not know if a single outdoor tri in the history of Quebec in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, I love the Mtl race - but who the hell wants to swim there in October? Last race I did there (in the summer), we all wore foil thermal blankets waiting for the swim.
Last edited by: surroundhound: May 29, 20 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, its one thing to swim in 14C water in June and have air temp rise to 30C by the time you're on the run....another story doing the same 14C swim on October 1 and then the temp never gets over 7C and raining on the bike and run! In any case I will wait to see the options they offer and how this affect Bermuda World's. If its on in October, I may just go and if it is cool and dry day, suck it up and do it, because I'll just want to race, but cool and wet day on that circuit course, I'll just hit the restaurants in Montreal and be a tourist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing I'd love to know is whether the 2021 aquabike will be irondistance (as it was supposed to have been in 2020) or back to the half iron distance.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wager that it'll still be full iron distance. I think the distance was a result of the course for Challenge Almere.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Worlds pushed back [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
The other thing I'd love to know is whether the 2021 aquabike will be irondistance (as it was supposed to have been in 2020) or back to the half iron distance.

Why would it change back? Thd distance is tied to that venue and that organizer (Challenge Almere).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are years where Esprit has been non-wetsuit... so it is likely swimmable, but it'll be cold-assed in October..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
There are years where Esprit has been non-wetsuit... so it is likely swimmable, but it'll be cold-assed in October..

As crazy at racing a tri in Montreal in October sounds on Oct 3/4, given this messed up year, if that's what I get, I may just suck it up and do the entire swim and bike in my wetsuit since i will freeze in the swim and will need 40km to warm up. This may be the winning formula in 55-59....or be really fat with a lot of insulation. I would like to see if Esprit happens. If so, I am in for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might consider a swim-run wetsuit in that case. you'll lose a bit of leg buoyancy, but be much more comfortable the rest of the race. however, they are mostly front-zip and are impossible for me to take off by myself if you want to remove it for the run.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Trauma wrote:

As crazy at racing a tri in Montreal in October sounds on Oct 3/4, given this messed up year, if that's what I get, I may just suck it up and do the entire swim and bike in my wetsuit since i will freeze in the swim and will need 40km to warm up. This may be the winning formula in 55-59....or be really fat with a lot of insulation. I would like to see if Esprit happens. If so, I am in for sure.

The irony is that this is a circumstance where there may be a benefit to a quarantine 15lbs...
Quote Reply