Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats?
Quote | Reply
We’re a little over a couple of months out but the writing seems to be on the wall. Any sense of when they will call it?

It would put me out of misery at least. I’m irrationally focused on it while knowing it is exceedingly unlikely to come off and even if it did and they followed the SD protocols they’ve formulated it’d be no fun.

Plus, my family knows this too and is circling the date like sharks to make alternate holiday plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not till Milwaukee does or says something official.

I'm with you though, but I'm planning on registering last minute just to wait and see.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have my plane tickets booked, but haven't booked a place to stay... Patiently waiting.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it is a little more complicated. USAT needs to decide what to do with their team that qualified last year and is not racing because ITU Worlds was cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I registered last fall and would be driving and staying with relatives but will probably DNS even if they have it at this point. I can't swim and I haven't been running. But mostly I see no way they're going to hold the event so I haven't been planning on doing it anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
We’re a little over a couple of months out but the writing seems to be on the wall. Any sense of when they will call it?

It would put me out of misery at least. I’m irrationally focused on it while knowing it is exceedingly unlikely to come off and even if it did and they followed the SD protocols they’ve formulated it’d be no fun.

Plus, my family knows this too and is circling the date like sharks to make alternate holiday plans.

stop worrying about it - its going to be cancelled. No mayor of any town is taking on this sort of liability. Its over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They haven't made a call on Para-Nationals, which are in July along with Legacy Triathlon in Long Beach, CA...they just keep waiting it out, and we are about 7 weeks from race dates.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:
I believe it is a little more complicated. USAT needs to decide what to do with their team that qualified last year and is not racing because ITU Worlds was cancelled.

their team? you mean the ones who made it to the olympics? dont think that selection fully occurred yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jayjuno wrote:

their team? you mean the ones who made it to the olympics? dont think that selection fully occurred yet.

The age groupers who qualified in 2019 for 2020 Sprint and Oly Worlds, which aren't going to happen.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also irrationally banking on it. I really wish they would put me out of my misery.

The only way to avoid disappointment is to not try anything at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [mgodu02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be and am likely wrong, plus it would take coordination/agreement with Milwaukee officials/their calendar of events, but I wonder if they would postpone AG nationals to sometime in September/October.
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
October OW swimming in Milwaukee seems like it would be quite chilly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the Olympic distance race that could be problematic. The Sprint can be kicked down the road to Tempe in November.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Jayjuno wrote:

The age groupers who qualified in 2019 for 2020 Sprint and Oly Worlds, which aren't going to happen.

there is nothing for age groupers to win, just lose money for entry fee plus required team gear. More a loss for usat i guess
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [KMRyan_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KMRyan_Tri wrote:
October OW swimming in Milwaukee seems like it would be quite chilly.

Would have to be early October. Water temp would be fine, air temp getting in before certainly chilly.
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:

This doesn’t have any bearing on Nationals. If they have nationals these people would qualify for the spots for 2021. The people who qualified for 2020 are SOL unfortunately. The only way I see anything happening is if they don’t do nationals and roll the people from 2020 to 2021. But that presents it’s own logistical problems because of the age groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They could move it outside of the city of Milwaukee to some place nearby like Random Lake or Lake Geneva. Both of those lakes are in cities/counties which have not been hit nearly as hard and have less restrictive rules. I would love to see it at Random Lake since roads there are in pretty good shape and it's actually the closet lake to my house that's swimmable outside of Lake Michigan.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adaykin wrote:
They could move it outside of the city of Milwaukee to some place nearby like Random Lake or Lake Geneva. Both of those lakes are in cities/counties which have not been hit nearly as hard and have less restrictive rules. I would love to see it at Random Lake since roads there are in pretty good shape and it's actually the closet lake to my house that's swimmable outside of Lake Michigan.

Nationals are back in Milwaukee so soon, I believe, because participants loved the downtown location, Milwaukee wanted to host the event again and there were no issues with the swim course or parking like there were in Cleveland. I think USAT will decide to cancel if they can't have the race at the current location in Milwaukee. Even if they can have the race at the current location, I wonder if they are going to have to limit the field size significantly (because of COVID race safe protocols) compared to the size of the field the last time nationals were held at that location. That's assuming they could attract a field of that size at this point even if there was no need to reduce the field size for race safe protocols.

I've booked a hotel room, but I haven't registered.

I'm guessing they make the call by June 15?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 29, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Speculation as to when USAT will make a call on AG Nats? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, hopefully our paths will cross there at some point! I’m the opposite - registered, but no reservations. I got back in the water a few weeks ago and feel like I could be in Nationals-worthy shape. Fingers crossed.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply