Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another splitting the long run Q.
Quote | Reply
I agree with the general consensus that 2:30 is the max single run duration for an IM prep. My question isn't about how to split the runs, but the duration of the combined runs.

If I'm going to be splitting the long run day into an AM and PM run, does the 2:30 rule still apply? Or do I need to increase total time to let's say, 3 hours, because I'm not doing the 2:30 in one go?

If this has been discussed before, a link to the thread would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [JBalady2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBalady2 wrote:
I agree with the general consensus that 2:30 is the max single run duration for an IM prep. My question isn't about how to split the runs, but the duration of the combined runs.

If I'm going to be splitting the long run day into an AM and PM run, does the 2:30 rule still apply? Or do I need to increase total time to let's say, 3 hours, because I'm not doing the 2:30 in one go?

What's more important is not the long run questions for an Ironman. Its more about how you split up your weekly mileage....let's say 6 hrs of running as 6x1 hrs, 8x45 min, 3x2hrs, 4x1 hrs, 1x2 hrs....but probably the person who runs 8 hrs will gain more than the 6 hrs athlete (assuming the same swim and bike load for both) and the 8 hrs person may do 12x30 min + 1x100m and 1x40 min or 6x1 hrs, 1x2 hrs.

The main reason for the long run is to just increase overall mileage to create the adaptations in the body, not to do a race day rehearsal every week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d think you’d be ok with a 2.5 then .5 hour run to get 3 total. I have done that, or close to that. I would have a double run day to get my total to close to 24 a few times. Second run was SUPER easy. But I don’t really think you need more than 2.5 hour run to be prepared for an IM. You could always add in a midweek double run day t get 2.5 hours total running but that could take time away from swim/bike.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in the replies on this topic to see what I can learn!

I've never had success doing split up runs to increase a longer run's performance without having to do a good bit of time or distance at the longer run.
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JBalady2 wrote:

What's more important is not the long run questions for an Ironman. Its more about how you split up your weekly mileage....let's say 6 hrs of running as 6x1 hrs, 8x45 min, 3x2hrs, 4x1 hrs, 1x2 hrs....but probably the person who runs 8 hrs will gain more than the 6 hrs athlete (assuming the same swim and bike load for both) and the 8 hrs person may do 12x30 min + 1x100m and 1x40 min or 6x1 hrs, 1x2 hrs.

The main reason for the long run is to just increase overall mileage to create the adaptations in the body, not to do a race day rehearsal every week.
The older I got the more I started leaning toward alternating long run/ride on a weekly basis.I found that working full time and doing a long run every week was hurting me too much so it became long run one week and long ride the next.Now of course,I have tons of time so it is long rides all the bloody time and I haven't done a "normal" long run in months.Long soft sand beach run/march with a backpack,dragging a heavy sandbag has replaced my long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this sentiment change at all when its the athlete's first IM and their longest run so far has been 16 miles or 2 hours?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5905139
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me in my training, I would never split my long run. That is the reason I am running long, is because I want to stress my system in a situation where it has already been working for 2 hours, and I am asking it for 30 minutes more. Splitting the long run does not accomplish this stress (Which you will encounter in a Full IM)

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
If it were me in my training, I would never split my long run. That is the reason I am running long, is because I want to stress my system in a situation where it has already been working for 2 hours, and I am asking it for 30 minutes more. Splitting the long run does not accomplish this stress (Which you will encounter in a Full IM)

^^THIS^^ Splitting mileage up during the week can be helpful to prevent injury during the buildup of mileage, but the long run is essential to development over the course of the build up to stress the body to cover the distance. Just as with any marathon build up, the long run is a key component both for the physical adaptation but also the added psychological benefit of covering the distance. Dependent upon experience level, adding intensity and some tempo intervals at or below race pace during the long run is also beneficial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jordan that there are mental and physical benefits to getting in those 2 plus hour runs.

Lots to learn & reflect on when your are knackered and that fatigue that most of us face at 90 minutes is much different than at 120 or 180 minutes.

It is, I think, however, not an all or nothing aspect of your training ~ there truly is a risk of injury & de-motivation if you are continually slogging yourself.

Many folks could benefit from perhaps splitting the run up on some weeks and slogging the long one out on other weeks.

2020 seems like a great year to experiment with all of this.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a few build ups for Ironman with both long time schemes. A few things from my experience:

In builds that I am doing my long runs in relatively decent weather (IE building for Ironman Texas in Februrary/March) I am far more motivated to do them all at once (2:30-3:00 hours, or 20-22 miles whichever comes first).

Once the weather turns to our normal humid and over like conditions here in Florida, I am not so motivated to do the long run all at once unless I am on a treadmill where I can have the buffet of fluids/nutrition nearby and don't have to stop to refuel so many times. For the sample size of n=1 here, the weeks that I would do a split long run, typically 1:30 in the morning and 1:00-1:30 in afternoon or evening (typically on treadmill) I found I was able to recover a bit faster on those weeks.

Last item, I personally find it harder to run that second session in the PM than doing it all at once most times.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:

Agree.

If you split a long run, you are doing 2 not-long runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Another splitting the long run Q. [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even as a comparatively younger athlete, I've started alternating long run/ ride weekends and it's been a revelation. The quality of my long runs and rides is WAY better, and I'm not a zombie on weekends.
Last edited by: FishOutofWater: May 28, 20 15:25
Quote Reply