Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [YorktownTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YorktownTri wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

Did you have the One 2.5 before the Kayentas? How would you compare the two?
Laurent

Yes. LOVE the One 2.5. The Kayentas is a great next step from the One 2.5. Very similar feel and ride. But they added drain holes, which I like. And the Kayentas have what I would call a sock liner. I really like those.

I've been looking for a shoe with the same ride as the One 2.5 since I bought those. And the Kayentas are it. I hope you can get them where you are soon.

Thanks for the answer. Yes I need to get my hands on a pair of those. Will have to wait for world travel to resume and when I can next visit my family and friends in Switzerland!
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [runnerak47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike Epic React Flyknit. 7.5oz, but super cushioned and durable. Flyknit upper is socklike (no tongue). I just pull them on (leave the laces tied) and go. Use them for everything from speedwork to long runs.

You can get them online for <$75 (esp. if you don't mind funky colors like the "Miami Vice" below), so a cost effective trainer (vs. the more expensive Nike "%" shoes).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Kinvara for training (been using them for 10 years now), had their Type A6 for racing but it was only useful up to 10km. Picked up the Endorphin Pro for a light racing shoe. Heard the fast twitch are a good lightweight shoe mainly for tempo/race.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Asics Hyper Tri. It's the only shoe I can run more than a 5K with no socks.

Yeah I ran in the Hyperspeed (same shoe) for a few years, loved them, but you can't get them in Australia anymore same with the Hyper-tri. And yeah never wore socks even for a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Next % hands down the best I have tried (for racing)
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Nike Epic React Flyknit.

wow - how long have they had the funky extended heel ? I thought Hoka was first to market with the flyaway heel, in the TenNine..
interesting shoe, thanks..

my choice in lightweight is the Hoka Rincon, 7.7oz, still has the Hoka feel, and inexpensive..
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Yeah I ran in the Hyperspeed (same shoe) for a few years, loved them, but you can't get them in Australia anymore same with the Hyper-tri. And yeah never wore socks even for a 70.3.

I have a pair for going to the lake and kicking around in. They are garbage. Easy to get off and on and look cool. Blistered the shit out of my feet at IM 70.3 New Orleans. Also have no cushion. I used to run in On Clouds and loved them. I've been told they have no cushion. Well, I can say the Asics Hyper Tri are like running barefoot on pavement. Just brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 3:00 Marathon (Over 30 marathons run, i think)
12XIM Finisher (KQ)

Hands down the New Balance 1500 for races.
I now train in the New Balance FuelCell Rebel; impartial on those.
Track workouts in the New Balance 1400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Nike Epic React Flyknit. 7.5oz, but super cushioned and durable. Flyknit upper is socklike (no tongue). I just pull them on (leave the laces tied) and go. Use them for everything from speedwork to long runs.

You can get them online for <$75 (esp. if you don't mind funky colors like the "Miami Vice" below), so a cost effective trainer (vs. the more expensive Nike "%" shoes).

I've done 90% of my training in this shoe over the last three years. Phenomenal shoe (on my foot). The React foam has magic properties..... when I put on a non-react foam shoe and go for a run it just feels dead on my feet.

I've never paid more than $80 for a pair. I've got them in hot pink, baby poop brown (Nike says gold), bright orange, pink and black..... I don't care as long as they are cheap.

As an aside, I had been suffering from PF in both feet, left more than right, for more than two years when I first started running in this shoe. I loved the shoe so much that I did almost all of my running in the Epic React. One day I woke up and realized that my feet weren't killing me any more. Was it the shoe? Did it just resolve? No idea. But if it ain't broke I'm not fixing it.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Nike Epic React Flyknit.

wow - how long have they had the funky extended heel ? I thought Hoka was first to market with the flyaway heel, in the TenNine..
interesting shoe, thanks..

my choice in lightweight is the Hoka Rincon, 7.7oz, still has the Hoka feel, and inexpensive..

It's been about 3yrs. This was one of the first shoes w/React foam. I think they need the wider midsole for stability due to the softness of the foam.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are running on the track or are very competitive in shorter road races (5k), I wouldn't bother with a lightweight shoe. Basically, get a shoe that works for you, don't pick that shoe based on weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
As an aside, I had been suffering from PF in both feet, left more than right, for more than two years when I first started running in this shoe. I loved the shoe so much that I did almost all of my running in the Epic React. One day I woke up and realized that my feet weren't killing me any more. Was it the shoe? Did it just resolve? No idea. But if it ain't broke I'm not fixing it.

I think one of the concerns about training in a light shoe is PF. I had been running in New Balance Beacons, a light shoe with reasonable cushion but a pretty flexible sole, and developed PF. I'm now on the Nike Zoom Fly 3, which has a very stiff sole due to the carbon plate, and my PF has gone away without cutting back on my running. I'm never run in the Epic React, but my daughter just picked up a pair. The sole is not as stiff as the Flys but it's a lot stiffer and more protective than the Beacons. I suspect you got a similar benefit from your shoe switch as I did.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I have a pair for going to the lake and kicking around in. They are garbage. Easy to get off and on and look cool. Blistered the shit out of my feet at IM 70.3 New Orleans. Also have no cushion. I used to run in On Clouds and loved them. I've been told they have no cushion. Well, I can say the Asics Hyper Tri are like running barefoot on pavement. Just brutal.

Interesting because I thought they were a lot cushier than the Saucony Fastwitch that I used to use. The first pair I had almost felt spongy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How narrow are these Epic Flyknits and how mushy and what is the drop?
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

When you look at the bottom of the shoe, it looks quite wide, but the upper is a medium width (neither wide nor narrow).

Drop is 10mm 28/18.

The react foam is really soft, but there is do much platform that you don’t sink in or feel a trampoline-ish effect. About the same durameter as Boost. Firmer than the Nike % shoes; softer than NB fresh foam. One aspect where it’s like a flat is that there is not a lot of torsional stiffness.

This review is spot on imo: https://www.runningshoesguru.com/...eact-flyknit-review/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

When you look at the bottom of the shoe, it looks quite wide, but the upper is a medium width (neither wide nor narrow).

Drop is 10mm 28/18.

The react foam is really soft, but there is do much platform that you don’t sink in or feel a trampoline-ish effect. About the same durameter as Boost. Firmer than the Nike % shoes; softer than NB fresh foam. One aspect where it’s like a flat is that there is not a lot of torsional stiffness.

This review is spot on imo: https://www.runningshoesguru.com/...eact-flyknit-review/

Great review!

I used to be a guy that wore a different shoe every day, depending on the workout. Speed shoes, middle distance, long run. I could go 5-6 days without wearing the same style or brand of shoe.

Since getting the Epic React, I still run in a different shoe every day but they are all just different pairs of Epic React. It doesn't matter what workout is on my schedule, from quarter mile repeats, to 18 mile long runs, to tempo training, this shoe does it all.

I have added in the Nike Zoom Fly 3 on occasion if I really want to go fast....

Race day shoes are 4% or Next %.

If you would have told me five years ago that I would be running exclusively in Nike I would have laughed at you. I may not like the corporate culture but I love the product. Not sure what that says about me.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the epic react disco’d? I can only find the Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit. Is that the new version of the epic react or am I missing something??
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Interesting because I thought they were a lot cushier than the Saucony Fastwitch that I used to use. The first pair I had almost felt spongy.

Sure we're talking about the same shoe!? Hyperspeeds and pure racing flats. I can get through a 70.3/HM in them, but will be sore the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightweight running shoe of choice [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
Terrordact wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:
Skechers Razor 3. Very good cushion/bounce for how amazingly light it is. Price is very reasonable ($100 on amazon), uppers is very well ventilated. Design is ugly.
Every once in a while 4% (but they are expensive, so trying to preserve them)

Some people don't care about weight of training shoe; I think it makes a huge difference. When I am tired in long training blocks, when I do a long run, when I do speed workout - can't think of a scenario where shoe weight is not significant. Helps me keep higher cadence, train more and have more quality workouts.

Second vote for Razor 3, love that shoe minus the hideous design choices.

Agree on Razor 3, so light, but still plenty of cushion and stable through the stride.

Lots of votes for the Razer. I should give them a shot too
I took a shot on the go run 7+ and really love them

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply

Prev Next