Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay?
Quote | Reply
We are putting a hot tub on our lanai and want to hang a TV nearby.

I get the reasoning for an outdoor TV. Better temperature, humidity , and dust protection. Plus higher brightness settings, etc.

But...

Holy shit outdoor TVs are expensive. I could buy three or four “indoor” TVs of equal size and specs for the same price.

I’m thinking a regular TV with a cover would suffice but looking for experiences and advice.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say no because— dude— keep some places television-free.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t do it , disconnect enjoy the outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure where u live. A friend in Socal has a 20 x 20 covered lanai/porch thing complete with fireplace, they love it and live out there as it is next to pool and grill area, and NFL Sundays are great outdoors. Here in the midwest it wod be a solid no.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in Florida.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
We are putting a hot tub on our lanai and want to hang a TV nearby.

I get the reasoning for an outdoor TV. Better temperature, humidity , and dust protection. Plus higher brightness settings, etc.

But...

Holy shit outdoor TVs are expensive. I could buy three or four “indoor” TVs of equal size and specs for the same price.

I’m thinking a regular TV with a cover would suffice but looking for experiences and advice.
For what it’s with I clean several Lanai’s a week and see more standard with covers than outdoor Specific TV’s.
In Fl too fyi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standard TV with a cover. Get a TCL for like... $400 and a nice cover and you’ll probably be good for 4-5 years at least. You’re far enough away from the ocean that salt spray isn’t a concern. If you were on the other side of the intracoastal I’d change my tune.

For some perspective on salt spray, we have shopping centers all over town. At our properties on A1A in PV a rooftop HVAC unit lasts 8-9 years. Properties over by the San Pablo and Beach area see roof top units last 12-15 years. Properties on Southside see HVAC units last 15+ years. Edit to add: 15+ is also what we see down in CFL.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: May 25, 20 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Colorado and we have a TV on our covered patio. We had an extra TV and took it outside one day and loved it. We bought a TV stand and a cover on Amazon and the TV has been fine for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a three season room that has become my defacto home office and I brought my spin bike up from the basement. It’s never been our intention to have TV in this room but they are very light and fairly cheap. I brought our TV out from our camper. I just have a roku but I have an app for our cable provider so other than DVR I’m covered. I can easily movie it back to camper or in the house, may try second tv for football games
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I say no because— dude— keep some places television-free.

Constantine wrote:
Don’t do it , disconnect enjoy the outdoors.

I get that, I do, but it’s an extension of the house really. My lanai is fairly large. There’s a 12’x13’ section where the spa will go and then there’s a 20’x20’ section where we have furniture and an outdoor dining area. The 20x20 section fully opens to our house via three sliding glass doors. So it’s a socializing area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skeeter issue?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor TV for lanai/covered patio area. Yay or nay? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s all screened in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then go for it.

Quote Reply