Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise
Quote | Reply
Looking at replacing my Felt IA and narrowed it down to the PX but also considering the Dimond Marquise. The PX disc vs. Marquise disc with similar builds are close to the same price with the Dimond offering more options to customize from the start. Any suggestions on build and which offers the best comfort and speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always liked Dimond and had one very briefly, but honestly I'd go with the cervelo.
Cervelo will have more storage for long course, and comes with a great handlebar with its monopost adjustment thing. Big dealer network for parts/warranty, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer P5x owner.

I'm not sure what the Dimond offers that can rate it over the PX other than custom spray?
Unless you have a particular set of aero bars you want to fit to the stem?

Px Pros
- more storage
- bladder fuselage option
- easier to adjust and greater range as standard (monopost)
- easier to pack (split bar system)
- better service network/parts if needed
- hidden cables/junction box (not certain about Dimond here?)

Recommend Px from me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also note that the Dimond cannot go on the trainer unless you run rollers. If you do you can shear the bolt that connects the top-tube to the down tube. You can get a trainer adapter but it looks stupid and i think its expensive and tbh if all things are equal go for the Px. However, for sex factor or having something special at T1/T2, sure the dimond looks sweet. Also a P5x owner though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace Di2 with DT Swiss wheels or Red eTap with Zipp 404/808? Which did you choose? Can see the benefits of 1x, rarely find I'm going into the smaller chain ring unless its a monster climb, but looking at those out there it seems most are opting for the Dura Ace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Dura Ace Di2 with DT Swiss wheels or Red eTap with Zipp 404/808? Which did you choose? Can see the benefits of 1x, rarely find I'm going into the smaller chain ring unless its a monster climb, but looking at those out there it seems most are opting for the Dura Ace.

I got my P5x at a silly discount from a bike shop (had it flown in) and it came kitted with DA Di2 and ENVE SES 5.8.

Personally I love Di2, works and the synchro is great. I have never used eTap but I hear many people prefer Di2 on TT/Tri setups and SRAM on road bikes, but again, I have no first hand experience with that. For 2x vs 1x I live in a very hilly area so 2x was the easy choice for me. If I only raced flat yea 1x seems better, but even then the added weight and aero reductions of 2x IMO are pretty "insignificant" compared to what you would save had you needed an easier gear when it comes time for the run. Also there are inefficiencies with the 12 speed and the SRAM chains, but theres no cables. Not really a right or wrong answer IMO. Again the choice is personal, but you can always just remove the Di2 FD and get a different ring/crank setup, sell the parts and likely come out ahead with Shimano. Plus imo it looks better. My buddy went with the Px in DA Di2 and loves it too. Said the DT Swiss wheels were nice and you can get a rear disc and you are set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were shopping, Cervelo no-brainer. These are some of the things I prefer on the Cervelo:
  • Solid construction versus the beam bolted to the lower section
  • Integrated storage
  • Integrated cockpit
  • Probably faster (I haven't seen a Marquise tested aside a Cervelo, but Cervelo definitely has the brand advantage here)

Last edited by: exxxviii: May 26, 20 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how many people you’ll find that have ridden both. The primary difference is just going to be aesthetics (you can guess my opinion on this). These comments about there being ‘more storage’ on the Cervelo may or may not be true, but if you need more than a Marquise has you’re doing something wrong.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another point is how often do you travel with you bike? I've had a Dimond for a little over four years now and never paid for a bike fee or overweight baggage on USA domestic and many, many international flights from London. While it doesnt take much mechanical knowledge (certainly no more than I think anyone should have) its something to consisder but also could be a signifigant cost and time saver.

Personally I like knowing I can easily and cheaply travel with my bike, assemble it in 30 minutes without (barring a tragic accident) needing to visit a local shop or the race day mechanic to assist. Perhaps the Cervelo is apples to apples here but bike fees can add up and stress around re-assembly can be soemthing people dont want to deal with.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I don’t know how many people you’ll find that have ridden both. The primary difference is just going to be aesthetics (you can guess my opinion on this). These comments about there being ‘more storage’ on the Cervelo may or may not be true, but if you need more than a Marquise has you’re doing something wrong.

Eric, I'm curious if you feel the absorption or any bounce on the Dimond as opposed to a fixed frame? Tried an old softride many years ago and it seemed to have quite a bit of flex to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If I were shopping, Cervelo no-brainer. These are some of the things I prefer on the Cervelo:
  • Integrated storage
  • Probably faster (I haven't seen a Marquise tested aside a Cervelo, but Cervelo definitely has the brand advantage here)
  • Disc brakes - controversy aside, disc is the future and will offer greater compatibly with other likely future bikes

I really don't get your points on integrated storage or disc brakes. How is the Marquise's storage not integrated? Are the disc brakes on the Cervelo better than the disc brakes on the Marquise? I'm building a Mogul with a disc brake rear and a rim brake front. Try doing that on the Cervelo.

Regarding 'probably faster' . . . Not sure what to say, I've been to the windtunnel w/ a Marquise and a P5 (not P5x or P3x). I ride a Marquise. I definitely don't sweat my competitors buying any other bike.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Eric, I'm curious if you feel the absorption or any bounce on the Dimond as opposed to a fixed frame? Tried an old softride many years ago and it seemed to have quite a bit of flex to it.

No, there is no flex or suspension type property at all. It feels like a normal bike. There may or may not be some benefit to not having seat stays transfer road buzz straight up to your ass for five hours in terms of comfort. I don't hop back and fourth between a traditional bike for those types of rides, so can't really say.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t take anything from Cervelo, which seems to have the best reputation in this sport.

I do think people should consider that Dimond has a great story behind it:

— Founder/CEO and pro TJ Tollakson is highly accessible
— his team is at a ton of races helping AGers get their bikes dialed. I can’t believe the “availability of parts/dealer network” would be a problem when it is so easy to get to the specific people at Dimond
— made in the USA
— many years spent refining the beam bike tech
— customization features

Unfortunately, there won’t be a lot of expos for a while, but in normal times, I would tell anyone weighing this decision to visit the Dimond tent and get to know the guys. I suspect you would feel very good about riding one of their bikes.

Plus their bikes look better than the P3X. Don’t know if it’s faster, but Dimond has some testing data online
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I really don't get your points on integrated storage or disc brakes.
Doh, my bad. I did not realize that the Marquis was now available in a disc version. I will update my post.

Regarding storage, the Px bikes have more of it, which can be super handy for some people. The "Probably Faster" is based on dearth of publicly available comparative data and Cervelo's brand history with their top bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
  • Integrated storage
  • Disc brakes - controversy aside, disc is the future and will offer greater compatibly with other likely future bikes

I really don't get your points on integrated storage or disc brakes. How is the Marquise's storage not integrated? Are the disc brakes on the Cervelo better than the disc brakes on the Marquise? I'm building a Mogul with a disc brake rear and a rim brake front. Try doing that on the Cervelo.

Regarding 'probably faster' . . . Not sure what to say, I've been to the windtunnel w/ a Marquise and a P5 (not P5x or P3x). I ride a Marquise. I definitely don't sweat my competitors buying any other bike.

I noticed the top 2 in my age group for 2019 Ironman rankings both ride a Dimond Marquis. Curios what's the difference between the Mogul and Marquis?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aesthetically I think the Marquise is a beautiful bike the Cervelo's are strange and goofy looking. That's just my opinion though and of course it doesn't matter in terms of speed.

I agree with Eric on the storage also. Marquise has plenty of storage and it's integrated directly into the frame. With the addition of a BTA bottle, you've got plenty of nutrition/hydration storage.

There are other things that go into a bike purchase also of course. For example Dimond is a smaller, American company, if that is something that holds any weight to you. The custom paint options are nice as well. It's nice having a bike that you know, almost for certain, that there won't be an identical one anywhere in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Curios what's the difference between the Mogul and Marquis?

The Mogul adds an 'cowling' to wrap around the front wheel. Improves the aerodynamics of the bike at yaw. Otherwise, they are identical.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can attach a Dimond to a direct drive trainer. You just have to use some bolt on seat stays that TJ sells. Works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing those numbers that five you such confidence that the Marquise is so fast? Some of us might be in the market.. and faster is always better
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo PX or Dimond Marquise [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing those numbers that five you such confidence that the Marquise is so fast? Some of us might be in the market.. and faster is always better

What numbers do you want? Here's some race numbers . . .

https://www.strava.com/activities/2755718593 (5:00 IMCHOO (115mi) on 161W)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2273178636 (2:12 IMTX 70.3 on 187W)

My CdA on the Dimond was slightly over/under .20 for yaw/0deg. I've made some [probable] improvements off that since. Look though, the bike isn't magic, no bike is, it's just fast . . . like most high end bikes (except Ventum). I'm not claiming it's faster than the P3X, I'm doubtful there's any significant difference.

Probably the thing I love most about the Marquise is that when it's kitted out on race day it just looks . . . normal. No bento boxes, no bolted on giant storage boxes. Because that stuff is actually built into the frame. I get a ton of comments on it (though I run it with a SpeedBar and Two Spoke front wheel, so it's a pretty 'interesting' bicycle). It's cool. Or I think so, anyway.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply