Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Northern Virginia
Quote | Reply
Moving up to Northern Virginia in the next month and want to start finding places to ride. I am originally from there but wasn't a cyclist and so far have just ridden fairfax county parkway + ox road on the bike trail when I have been up but am now looking for new options. So far here are what I have found as decent riding places from searching here and other forums

Skyline drive: hilly weekend long ride. 1 hour away.
Parkway + ox road + roads out by Clifton/fountainhead: regular weekday ride while I am in this area of Nova
W&OD: regular weekday ride when I eventually move close to Reston. (Moving back with my folks while I start working to save up and let COVID stuff settle a down)
Prince William Forrest Park: seems to be a good 7 mile loop that would make for good outside workouts

Are there other good roads that would be good to go out too? I have heard of places in Marlyand that can give me flat long rides but not sure where is best at the moment for that sort of thing

I am also only training on a tri bike if that affects what is/isn't feasible
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Northern Virginia [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old loop of mine from Chantilly / South Riding area:

Out Braddock Road. Left on US15, quick right on Old Carolina. Right on New/Mountain Road. Right in Antioch (Hopewell Rd). Take 245 out of the Plains. Right on Harrison Road. Right on Belvoir Road. Right on 55. Left back onto Mountain Road.

If you fancy some climbing, bang a right on Ridge Road and pray for a swift and merciful death.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head out to Warrenton/Nokesville/Midland, you can easily get 20-30' stretches of great roads. It's best on a weekend morning, avoid rush hour times. Or, head over to The Plains, as previously mentioned.
Last edited by: rijndael: May 25, 20 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Northern Virginia [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
bang a right on Ridge Road and pray for a swift and merciful death.

It's a challenge. Early in my cycling career I gave that a 100% effort and cooked myself .... I struggled to get home. LOL.

Try Sumney/Lookout if you want another challenge:
https://www.strava.com/segments/4994269
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Northern Virginia [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learned that one while riding my buddy's (at the time) wife's bike. Not ideal.

Nor was it ideal on the Litespeed I was banging around on at the time.

Now I just live in NH, where it's nothing but hills all the time.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross the bridge into Montgomery County, MD where we ride out west from the city on River Rd to the Poolesville/Dickerson/Comus are and further north/west into Frederick County. Wide-open space abounds with rolling roads and good mix of hills & flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do century's out of Leesburg basically weekly. Plenty of great routes in Western loudoun and up in Maryland.
Look thru my rides if you want

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Northern Virginia [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you all for the comments. will definitely be revisiting this throughout the coming year to check out a bunch of these routes
Quote Reply