Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Main Line Philadelphia (Wayne area) Cycling Route Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the Wayne, PA / Main Line Philadelphia area and would be grateful for cycling route suggestions departing from the Wayne / Main Line area.

I'm accustomed to biking from Center City up the Schuylkill River Trail / MLK Drive but I don't have a good sense for how to get to that trail from Wayne / Main Line. I'm also open to other route suggestions that avoid traffic as much as possible.

Thank you kindly.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Main Line Philadelphia (Wayne area) Cycling Route Suggestions [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends a lot on where you are in Wayne. If more on the north side, I’d work on getting to the Chester Valley Trail which I think you can now connect onto the River Trail and go on to Valley Forge or into the city. This allows you to avoid most traffic, but pretty flat. It does connect to a trail (Perkiomen, maybe) that will take you like 40+ miles north but considerable gravel that way.

If you are on the south side of Wayne there’s a few miles of trail you can get on to avoid some traffic but will need to be on roads a fair bit if you are trying to work your way down towards Manayunk to get on the trail. You can also go up through Manayunk onto forbidden drive (gravel and with some good MTB side trails).

Finally, there are a ton of routes people take out towards Chester County that, while on roads, are pretty sparsely trafficked with a lot of good rolling hills and a pretty good cyclist presence so, on average, reasonably aware drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Main Line Philadelphia (Wayne area) Cycling Route Suggestions [returntoglory23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s this magical set of horse farms bordered by the main line, Newtown square and west Chester. Loop around Church rd, Goshen rd, Providence, Grubbs, sugartown, sawmill, etc. All are rolling hills with minimal stoplights. And then for climbing go up to welsh valley, west of valley forge.
Quote Reply
Re: Main Line Philadelphia (Wayne area) Cycling Route Suggestions [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but be careful on roads like Goshen Road, they don't have any shoulder and sometimes cars are rocketing on the roads. I don't ride on the roads but when I drive I am surprised going over a slight hill to find a biker in the middle of the road.

Head out towards West Chester if you can, once you get past the town you can find miles of roads.
Quote Reply